Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: x10 transmitter that plugs into outlet or screws into light socket  (Read 2727 times)

gluff

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
x10 transmitter that plugs into outlet or screws into light socket
« on: September 16, 2015, 04:49:23 PM »

I need a small, simple device that sends an "on" code when it receives power, and sends an "off" code when the power is cut.

So simple.

Does it exist?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: x10 transmitter that plugs into outlet or screws into light socket
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 05:20:11 PM »

Not so simple. In the X10 protocol the only thing that come close is the PSC01 (http://www.x10.com/x10-home-automation/interfaces.html) which needs 120V to operate and sends out a X10 "ON" command with a closure across it's input terminals and an X10 "OFF" command when the closure opens. You could use a 120V AC coil relay with relay coil coupled to the outlet or socket you want monitored.
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/rly-453/120-vac-relay-dpdt-12-amps/1.html
You would wire the normally open (N.O.) relay contacts to the terminals of the PSC01.

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 05:47:36 PM »

If it plugs into a outlet for power and it loses power, how will it work to send a x10 off?
If it could send it how would anything receive it with out power?

With that asked, if you have a PC running on a UPS you could do this with the AHP SDK and a cm15a.
However the module receiving the command would also need to be on the UPS unless your sending RF
 >!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 05:49:33 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

gluff

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 06:45:23 PM »

thx for the thoughtful replies.

I reckon I'll reply/update when I solve this.

"Do [something] when this light is turned on." Guh. Seems like there's a simple solution.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 09:43:47 AM »

"Do [something] when this light is turned on." Guh. Seems like there's a simple solution.

Actually, there is a simple solution to that function.  I wanted to control power to the rack and subwoofers in our media room when the lights are switched on and off.  (They are dimmed down to a glow for viewing.)

The "simple solution" was to change the light switch to a Leviton X10 switch that also transmits the ON and OFF commands over the powerline.  Then I installed X10 modules to control power to the rack and subwoofers.  That eliminated a lot of wasted standby power.

Unfortunately, X10 doesn't make a switch like that.  The $80 Leviton switch was discontinued and is hard to find.  They sometimes pop up on eBay.  I'm not sure, but I believe some of the Insteon switches also transmit X10 commands.

The X10 solution is to replace the wall switch with the XPT3 transmitter and single button faceplate.  Then use an in-line or screw-in module to control the light.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 11:34:24 AM »

Yes, the Smarthome Insteon switches used to have X10 capabilities in them (I read that they removed the X10 functionality in some of the newer revisions).
I have a bunch of them at my house, and they do work exactly as described. They transmit their own code with an on/off when they are turned on or off.

I was going to suggest the PowerFlash method (the PowerFlash takes an external low voltage - or dry contact closure, and sends X10 on/off commands on the powerline), triggering it with a wall-wart or something.

It would be neat to see a small module that had a small rechargeable battery or capacitor in it. When power was applied, it would send out an RF "on" signal. When power was removed, the circuit (powered by the charged battery or capacitor) would send out an "off" command before it died. A module like that would be great to act as a power-outage trigger (especially if there are other devices on a UPS that should be shut down - using a macro - in the event of a power outage).

Ideally, the "on/off alert" module would come in two versions - one that plugs into a wall outlet, and one that screws into a light socket (with a pass-through for a bulb). It doesn't need to control anything - it simply sends a signal when power is applied / removed.

Unfortunately, such a device doesn't exist at the moment.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 01:51:53 PM »

If it plugs into a outlet for power and it loses power, how will it work to send a x10 off?
If it could send it how would anything receive it with out power?
I don't think gluf wants to monitor for a power failure, I think he wanted to know the status of an outlet or light socket. Powering a PSC01 from a different outlet than the one to be monitored would work. Also Noams suggestion of using a "wall wart" to trigger the PSC01 (like a cell phone charger, which we all have a few extra of) is an easier solution than a 120VAC relay.

Taking this train off the tracks, I remember reading about a proposed Z-wave gizmo that would plug in to and monitor outlet power and had batteries. I think the batteries would transmit the "OFF" status and outlet power would transmit the "ON" status. Seems like it was aimed at industrial use.  I never saw any more than a little blub on a techy web site so the project likely never went anywhere.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 08:33:34 AM »

I don't think gluf wants to monitor for a power failure, I think he wanted to know the status of an outlet or light socket.
Yes that is possible however when insufficient info is supplied we are all left guessing.  B:(
If gluf was more specific a simple solution may be possible.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.