Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Controlling X10 with an ISY994i and Insteon PLM 2413S  (Read 2300 times)

leonpc

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Controlling X10 with an ISY994i and Insteon PLM 2413S
« on: September 18, 2015, 12:59:24 PM »

After many months and years hoping that all the plugins that I have paid good money for would become usable in AHP again, I finally bit the bullet and bought an ISY994iZw with the Insteon 2413S PLM.  I decided to also spend the money and get the additional X10 module.  I know you can write programs to trigger the X10 device without it but since i now have it in the module tree I can hit specific modules and turn them on and off without any programming.  That alone was worth the money!

I have managed to connect all my X10 modules without to much hassles.  However, coming from an exclusively X10 environment before I obviously had installed an XTB-IIR to connect my phases and to boost the signal.  During the initial setup of my new environment I disconnected the CM15 and plugged the 2413S PLM into the XTB-IIR.  Try as I might I could not see any of my X10 devices.  After a while I plugged the CM15 back into the XTB-IIR and ran an extension round the corner and plugged the 2413S into that.

And suddenly I could see all my X10 devices.  Does that make any sense?

I know the XTB-IIR will not regenerate any of the Insteon messages but in my case i am only using it for X10.

Any ideas will be appreciated. 

Thanks

Leon

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Controlling X10 with an ISY994i and Insteon PLM 2413S
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 04:02:54 PM »

I have seen reports on the UDI forums. That some of the latest 2413S PLMs do not receive X10 messages but seem to still send X10 messages.

The PLM does not receive or send X10 RF commands. So if you are missing X10 RF messages you have to still have an X10 RF Transceiver connected. I am using an RR501 myself. The CM15A may have been processing X10 RF messages if that is what you are missing.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 04:44:08 PM by Brian H »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: Controlling X10 with an ISY994i and Insteon PLM 2413S
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 09:40:29 AM »

I know the XTB-IIR will not regenerate any of the Insteon messages but in my case i am only using it for X10.

Back when I first released the original XTB signal booster some people reported the SmartHome controllers did not work well with it.  The bandpass return signal amplifier in both the XTB and XTB-IIR can make in-band noise look like an X10 signal, which can confuse a "polite" transmitter into thinking there is already X10 traffic on the powerline.

The solution is to do exactly what you did - plug the SmartHome device into a nearby wall outlet, and use the XTB-IIR strictly as a high-power repeater.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.