Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM15A stopped transmitting/receiving over powerline  (Read 2283 times)

stantonovitch

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM15A stopped transmitting/receiving over powerline
« on: September 19, 2015, 11:01:29 AM »

I have a newer CM15A (code 13A04) which stopped sending or seeing powerline commands.  I noticed this when the macros stopped working 6 days ago.  I haven't changed anything on the computer, and I don't know of any powerline spikes, etc.

The activity monitor shows that it sees every RF command, and the log shows it receiving commands from AHP, but no action.  When I send a powerline command from another device, the appropriate light turns on or off, but the CM15A shows nothing happened.

I unplugged the unit from both wall and USB, took the batteries out, purged delayed macro events, cleared interface memory, re-downloaded timers and macros, and still no change.  I saw a schematic online that shows a fuse on the high-voltage side of things, but I'm not seeing a fuse.

Any clues in being able to resurrect this thing?

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: CM15A stopped transmitting/receiving over powerline
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 11:59:41 AM »

There was a recent(?) redesign which uses almost 100% surface mount components. I don't know whether existing online schematics accurately reflect this newer design.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 04:04:59 PM »

If the fuse was blown. It would be completely dead or running directly from the batteries.
If you take the batteries out and it still functions. The fuse is OK.
I have not seen the later model with surface mounted parts. So as pointed out. It may not be accurate for surface mounted components versions.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 06:17:16 PM »

I have one that is slightly newer (13F24) than the OP's although, in the past, I've found the date stickers to be an unreliable indicator of internal components. If my health issue allows, I'll disassemble it tonight/tomorrow and see if there might be an obvious component to check. Of course, the transformer that couples PLC to/from the powerline is the usual suspect.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

stantonovitch

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 10:26:16 PM »

Thanks for the quick replies.

...and I feel like a fool.  It's working now.  The short answer is the switch for the outlet was switched off.  Wifey must have gotten her fingers behind the book case and accidentally flicked it.  *sigh*

I went through the diagnostics below, and after I wrote it up I vaguely remembered that this duplex outlet is split, with one of them being on a switch which is behind a bookcase (and we never switch off!)

Thanks for your attention.  Sorry for the mistake.  Please ignore the rest.  I'm including it in case it helps someone:

Batteries out and USB plugged in:  No activity.  No difference when plugged into the wall AC outlet.
Batteries IN and USB plugged in:  Windows chimes when USB plugged in, and it recognizes RF commands.  Does not send RF commands (as far as I can tell).  No difference when plugged into the wall AC outlet.

I'm still not seeing anything resembling a fuse.  All the components on the main PC board are traditional through-the-hole soldered.  The send/receive daughter boards are SMT with the occasional through-the-hole soldered resistor.

There are no signs of stress or catastrophe among the components or wiring.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 06:32:10 AM »

Glad you found the problem.
You are not alone on the simple things causing issues. I have done it myself. All kinds of tests only to find it was not connected or incorrectly connected.

As for the fuse. X10 sometimes used a very thin piece of wire as their fuse. Not what most of us would think of as real fuse.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 07:36:37 AM »

All the components on the main PC board are traditional through-the-hole soldered.  The send/receive daughter boards are SMT with the occasional through-the-hole soldered resistor.
One built 5 months later has nearly everything, except for the power and PLC components, as SMD on the opposite side of the board. The RF receiver and transmitter are also SMD components (including the RX3310A superhet receiver IC) built in to the main PCB - there are no daughter boards. There is a 310MHz SAW for the RF transmitter.

BTW, I don't recall a fuse (even the exposed bare wire type) on either version. There is a short piece of bare wire that acts as a fuse in both versions.

Unless the FCC filing has been updated, existing schematics are of the older version. While Authinx is listed as Applicant, all of the FCC documentation is from 2003 so it appears they haven't sought FCC approval for the new version.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 08:53:07 AM by dhouston »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.