Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Time to modernize?  (Read 2335 times)

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
Time to modernize?
« on: September 28, 2015, 11:33:06 AM »

I've been looking to update/change my X10 home automation setup.  I'm currently using X10 devices; mostly switches, motion sensors, relays, etc. along with Foscam cameras with an iHouse interface.  This setup has served me well over the past 15 years, but I feel it's time to modernize my setup. Especially my controller and interface.

I've been looking at both Indigo and Insteon.  Both have pros and cons.  Indigo would allow me to still use x10 devices along with Z-Wave and Insteon, but it's Mac-based and I'm Windows-based.  While Insteon is multi-based (iOS, Android, Windows) it will cause me to purchase all new devices.  So the cost to change would be more with Indigo (new Mac, new devices), less with Insteon (new devices). 

So I'm curios of your thoughts, experiences, etc.  Is there a better choice?  Indigo is small and operated by two people.  Insteon is backed by a corporation SmartLabs.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Time to modernize?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 01:01:38 PM »

You might look at Homeseer. With the proper interfaces it does X10 and Z-Wave. HS3 has been out for a year. I am still using HS2 so do not know HS3 but most users on the Homeseer forum like it. $0.02
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 06:27:44 PM »

Which Insteon controller are you looking at?
HUB, HUB Pro or maybe a Universal Devices ISY994i Series?

A few more points you may want to use in your decision.
All Insteon Wall Switches except the one two wire Incandescent only dimmer model. Need a neutral power wire besides the line and load.
In a three way setup. With X10 you can use a companion switch to trigger the module with the traveler wire. Insteon does not use a companion switch. You use a Insteon switch in all locations. Cross linked to control each other.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 07:03:04 PM by Brian H »

lviper

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 08:50:37 AM »

Have you looked at Home Control Assistant? It's a powerful HA program that allows multiple controllers so you can setup your current X10 stuff and then start to add new stuff while the old is still in place.

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 12:43:46 AM »

Well, some interesting comments.  Thank you Dave W and Brian H for your thoughts.  One of the things I've done when looking at home automation controllers/software is to look, online, at their user manuals.  I also like to look at their user forums as well.  Here you get a real sense of the product.  I have occasionally called the sales department and the help desk too.

With that said, it's seems most of the devices I've looked at seem to have the same kinds of problems. There's always issues like the product is DOA, or the help desk is non-responsive, or it doesn't work as advertised, or the documentation is poorly written , etc.  

My point, I'm not sure which hardware piece is better.  How well it works is so dependent upon its environment; making true testimonials hard to come by.

Guess I'll continue looking at hardware choices.  Although I still like the Insteon Hub 2.

Iviper -- I was really impressed with Home Automation Assistant.  A 341 page User Guide ... Wow.  Video tutorials even.  A support community with over 4,000 members.  Supported by Advanced Quonset Technology Inc.  A great piece of software.  It's probably overkill for my purposes, but it would be fun.  I may give it a try later.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 10:40:40 AM by Don N »

lviper

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 09:08:16 AM »

Iviper -- I was really impressed with Home Automation Assistant.  A 341 page User Guide ... Wow.  Video tutorials even.  A support community with over 4,000 members.  Supported by Advanced Quonset Technology Inc.  A great piece of software.  It's probably overkill for my purposes, but it would be fun.  I may give it a try later.

With HCA I can not only do just about anything that I could do in Activehome Pro, but for what I can do I can do even more. I can even have for example an X10 motion sensor turn on an Isteon light. My current setup has HCA 12 Pro, a CM11, WGL WS800USB and of course the XTB-IIR. This setup allows me to use my security devices as well.

My only reason for my suggesting it was a way to keep your X10 stuff running while you add or replace with newer different tech.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.