📝Reviews > Home Automation Reviews

New PLC01 PLC Repeater (2015 review)

(1/6) > >>

Tuicemen:
I was asked to test the prototype and give some input.
Not having any PLC range issues I tried Unsuccessfully to create some  ???
Throwing a XTBM Pro at it showed no really remarkable results.

I just receive the release version  PLC Repeater, the only visible difference in the two is the color (test unit was black this is white)
I again performed some tests with a XTBM Pro.
There was a improvement in signal strength
There is no signal booster in this (which would have been nice) but tests reveled only a 0.04 signal difference from the originally sent signal.
This was with the X10 transmitter being on the opposite Phase and both the transmitter and repeater at the last outlet on each wire run.
That doesn't say much as I'm in a small home which was just rewired. ::) :'

I only have one noisy outlet hear however it is hard to get to so I wasn't able to test from it but the prototype performed well in a noisy environment. So I expect the same if not better results from this one.
I'll post test results once I'm able to get to this outlet.

Bottom line:
Some may say Authinx is not addressing the problem, just like the old X10 WTI.
I have to disagree, the new modules Authinx has reintroduced that I've tested so far shouldn't need this.
Why replace all your equipment with the newer stuff if a simple repeater with help.

Tuicemen:
I did some more tests with the release build (PLC01)
Originally I was testing this with the prototype CC3000 which my meter shows a signal of 9.99 (actually it is much higher then that) This was why I wasn't seeing much of an improvement
This time I tested with my Cm15 with a signal of 7.41Vpp at the outlet it is connected to.

Authinx states there is no booster in this unit but this unit is heavier then the proto type. I never noticed this until I held both at the same time. ::) :'

The new unit does send a much stronger signal then the proto type sending a repeat reading of 9.99 from a received PLC reading of 0.70Vpp
Is this enough to blast threw the noise?
I guess that would depend on how much noise is on the line.
I had a laptop producing a noise level of n.70 and this was enough to stop it even showing collisions on the meter.
A noise of n.01- n.14 wasn't a issue though usually this isn't a issue without the repeater either.

The fact that this sends a stronger signal then my cm15 is a sign X10 is improving transmitters across the board.
This should help on long wire runs where the PLC signal drops so much that a device doesn't see the command. :)%

dhouston:
It would be helpful to know the timing on the repeat commands. Does it repeat in real-time or wait until after the original command?

Tuicemen:
It sends supposedly after it sees the original command.
The XTBM pro shows same second to 1 second difference on the same circuit tests

dhouston:
That could create problems for older controllers using TW523 or compatible PLC interfaces.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version