Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: UM506 Question  (Read 3338 times)

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
UM506 Question
« on: November 11, 2015, 07:04:36 PM »

I just installed a UM506 to control a garage door. However, it only works when pressing "ON". I have to press "OFF", then press "ON" again to get the door to go in the other direction. I understand the basic reason why, however why is there an ON/OFF switch if the "OFF" does nothing. Wouldn't the same apply to some other things such as sprinklers?

If the "OFF" button were really another "ON" button, you could probably know if the door was up or down. Sure would beat getting some fancy system over $150 such as Chamberlain or whatever.

A macro with a door sensor and a UM506 would solve this if the door sensor were seen by AHP. I realize I'm bringing up discussions from years ago but it seems by now this common concern should have a solution.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: UM506 Question
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 06:48:08 AM »

For Garage Door use. The UM506 must be set to Momentary. So it simulates a button being pushed and released.

If it is in Continuous. The UM506 stays On until an Off is received. That would hold the button On until command Off released it. So the next On could again act like the button is being pushed. With the UM506 in Momentary. An On command is needed for both directions.

If the opener is one of the modern ones with multi function controls. Things can get more complicated. As there could be power and data on the two wires to the controls.

A sensor for door position would help.
If you have OnAlert.  A DS10A or DS12A Door Window Sensor can be seen in AHP. You could use its open or closed status in a macro.
A PowerFlash module could also be triggered by a magnetic switch and its On or Off status could be used in a macro.

The Insteon I/O Module also has a Sensor Input and that is what their systems use for garage door openers.

Sprinklers are a different setup. You use Continuous. So an On turns them On and an Off turns them Off.

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 08:17:14 AM »

To avoid accidental opening of the door, I suggest, installing a three pin appliance module with a different HC / UC. Then use a macro to to reset both, appliance module and UM506 to OFF.
I have been using this setup on my doors for few years and it has been working fine. In fact when door opens, it sends me an email and if it opens at night then it turns on selected light in and around the house. Since DS 10A is also connected to security system, it also sounds chime and turns on flashing LED lights in the kitchen which of course turn off after a set time.
Initially I did use UM506 directly to open and close door but now I use either X10 commander or ActivePhone Pro. These two also allow me to open/ close doors from any where.

If you want, then ask and will send you the setup. It is easy.

racerfern

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 08:39:43 PM »

@IPS, yes I would like more info on your setup. My email is in my profile. Thanks.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 11:15:26 PM »

If the "OFF" button were really another "ON" button, you could probably know if the door was up or down. Sure would beat getting some fancy system over $150 such as Chamberlain or whatever.

I run a Home Automation PC (laptop) along with the AHP. And use a third party software to get a voice notification for many of my projects. I posted my Garage Door Macro (uses a powerflash module) here.

BTW... my garage door opener failed a few mouths ago (it was decades old) and I replaced it with a new Chamberlain with the "my Q" online technology. It is pretty cool to be able to check the garage door miles away after I've left. And get notifications on the phone when the door is used.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 11:19:38 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

racerfern

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 02:18:05 PM »

Well I set an appliance module to I16 and the UM506 to B16. Finally got the macros to work correctly by B16 OFF, B16 ON, I16 ON (turn on small indicator bulb), finally B16 OFF. 5 seconds between each command. The macro is set to B7 for open and B8 for close.

It can easily be defeated but for me at least it's a start. I think the next step will be to get something like a DS12A door sensor that the CM15 will work with. It seems all the door sensors only work with the SC1200.

Thanks, @IPS for the suggestion. I'll keep working on it.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 04:09:07 PM »

As long as you have the OnAlert Plug In for AHP. The DS12A should be seen.

racerfern

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 04:55:35 PM »

@Brian H, yes thanks. I'm attempting to get the AHP LifeJacket to fix my AHP so I can be back to where I was years ago, two houses and two computers ago. It's a challenge for sure.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.