Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The X10 Community wants to know how you use your X10 system!
Share your story in the Automated Home Showcase.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Wi-Fi Insider Deal  (Read 31621 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 237
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
    • Tuicemen Software
Re: Wi-Fi Insider Deal
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2017, 07:43:23 AM »

No news yet  :(
I like a few of you die hard users have my fingers crossed that this materializes soon.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Find extra info @ My forum

dave w

• Expert Advisor
  • Helpful Post Rating: 132
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2017, 06:39:47 PM »

The number of clearance priced HA products would make some people think that nobody wants an automated home.

I spoke with a my stepson about HA some weeks ago. He was intrigued by Alexa and asked about it's/her functions/abilities. He couldn't care less about turning lights on and off. He liked being able to access nearly any song ever recorded... just by asking.

X10 needs to find bold new ways to do more than the competition. Or at least do enough... to stay in the game.
Dave,  I think your statement and your stepson's interest has (sadly) nailed it.  I do not think people are interested in HA. I noticed the local Best Buy has reduced their WiFi LED light bulbs to just the Phillips Hue. I dunno, maybe it takes a special person to be interested in HA or remote control.

I have always been into remote control of lighting. Shoot when I was about 12 I had all the lights and a TV in my bedroom wired with 18ga "zip" cords to a toggle switch control panel above my bed. It is a wonder I did not burn mom and dad's house down.  :'
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2017, 07:51:20 PM »

Personally, I think a lot of people are interested in HA. However a lot of this stuff is way overpriced for something that's not an abosolute necessity. Whether it's Staples, Home Depot, Lowes, they jumped on a band wagon without any idea where it would lead. My local HD has an HA display that looks like it was organized by a third grader. And it's one of the top three stores in the country!

IMO, the closest something comes to being universally accepted is the Samsung Smarthings Hub. Dumbed down, easy to setup and use. If all this zwave/zigbee stuff has come to the forefront in a relatively short period of time, the only reason X10 doesn't have something really new is because it chooses not to.

HA Dave

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 169
  • I have no superpowers. I guess I am the villian.
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2017, 12:13:57 AM »

...... the only reason X10 doesn't have something really new is because it chooses not to.

I agree.
Modern automation is much more than turning things on and off.
The use of Home Automation is limited... only by our imaginations.

bkenobi

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2017, 10:28:56 AM »

Price gets my vote.  If you want to have a single automated light, you can spend a bit more and get a WiFi LED bulb.  Last I checked, that cost $25.  If you just wanted and LED bulb at that time it was $15.  Today an LED bulb is down to ~$3-6.  I still think these are too expensive compared to Edison's approach (including the cost to the environment), but the difference in automated vs dumb is too great for interest from many simply because you don't get into automation to add a single bulb.  If someone was to replace Edison bulbs ($0.25/ea) with LED ($5/ea) and they were average (45 bulbs/home in the US), that would be $225 versus $11.25.  But, if they wanted to go automated, it could bust the bank at $1125!  Obviously that's an extreme example because I doubt that many people go fully automated.

I went X10 because I could change a handful of switches and automate my focus areas easily for a fraction of the cost of the other system options.  I already had exposure to X10 from toying with it in collage and had a couple modules to try.  At $5/module at the time, it was a no brainer compared to $45 for SmartHome and up to $100 for other systems.  Fast forward to today (less than 10 years later) and X10 modules are $15+ and the other systems are $30-50 and more reliable/sexier.

Just my ramblings...

shtckt

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2017, 09:22:58 PM »

Count me in!

I am coming in months after is started but obviously have not missed the boat.  Assuming it arrives some day. When it does I am very interested in a unit. Was Googling wifi for x10 and found this. Glad Tuicemen was involved. Good job for posting and participating.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.