Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How do I wire this!?  (Read 2235 times)

sficca

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
How do I wire this!?
« on: November 21, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »

I am trying to install an Appliance module WS13A to control outside lighting (fluorescent bulbs - so that's why I bought the Appliance module).  All I have in that box are two wires.  Put the wires together, and the lights go on!  But how do I wire it up to the module? 

I put one wire on "LOAD" and the other wire on "LINE", but nothing... of course.  This happens to be in a utility room very close to the main breaker box - so I can run a line from Neutral if that would help.  But I don't know how that would help.  I did try connecting Neutral on the module to ground, and the LED glows, but nothing else happens.

Any clues?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: How do I wire this!?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 05:55:36 PM »

You need a Neutral Power Connection. In addition to the Line and Load wires. You should not use Ground for the Neutral connection permanently.
For the brief test it may show it could work with the Neutral connection.
Since you only have two original wires. You had a 50% chance you got the Line and Load connected backwards to the WS13A. You probably had them reversed in your test.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 05:58:02 PM by Brian H »

sficca

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 06:14:34 PM »

That worked like a charm!
Thank you!  X-10 Rocks!
And I can't use ground (instead of running a Neutral wire) to return load of signal and switch because....(?)  I know theoretically I'm bad&wrong if I don't run Neutral, but I forget why? (Aside from fire marshals and code inspectors, of course.)
Anyway - Thank you very much.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 09:54:16 AM »

Using the Safety Ground for Neutral. As you said. Not allowed by the Electrical Code.
I believe it is the possibility of all the load current flowing in the ground conductor.
That could cause a voltage difference between different grounded devices. Due to the voltage drop from the current in the ground wire.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.