Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Activity Monitor -- How to Log Events NOT Generated by AHP?  (Read 2359 times)

jclarkw

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Activity Monitor -- How to Log Events NOT Generated by AHP?
« on: November 23, 2015, 10:02:27 AM »

My Activity Monitor apparently doesn't log events generated by the CM15A that is connected to AHP 3.318 under Windows 7 Pro 64bit, in spite of the following statement in the version history:

"Version 3.203 Released 3/24/2006...
    Fixed problem with events running from interface not being recorded in Activity Monitor. "

It is also unreliable logging events generated by a wired controller -- no RF involved -- even though the commands are executed by the target modules.  For example, I turned a lamp module and an appliance module on and then off, but the latter (listed as event 4 in the attached JPG -- I hope it comes through as I could not figure out how to insert it as an image) is only represented by the single fragment, "Recieve     G4," even though this appliance module is on the same household circuit as the CM15A.

It will log any event that I cause manually from AHP of course.  It will also log events from timers and macros on AHP itself.

Activity Monitor/View has all event types checked.  The Interface is set to monitor the correct house code though Hardware Configuration.  I had intended to use this setup to monitor events triggered by an independent CM15A (not connected to the computer), but this is not encouraging.  What am I doing wrong? -- jclarkw

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Activity Monitor -- How to Log Events NOT Generated by AHP?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 10:20:02 AM »

If the wired controllers. Power line signals are reaching the controlled modules but not showing in the CM15A's  Activity Monitor. One possibility is you have power line issues and the controllers commands are not getting to the CM15A. Just to the controlled X10 modules.
Do you have any phase coupler or repeater/coupler in the installation?

If the CM15A is on the same circuit as the computing equipment or an UPS. Both are known to absorb X10 and Insteon  power line commands.
I have a FilterLinc on my UPS. To stop it from absorbing X10 and Insteon power line signals.

Jeff has published a great set of troubleshooting tutorials.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 10:42:43 AM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 10:36:29 AM »

I just did a short test.
Used an Insteon 2457D2 Lamplinc with an X10 added address. When I used the local On Off buttons. The X10 A8 On and A8 Off commands showed up in my Activity Monitor.
Also tried a PowerFlash module. Triggered by a doorbell. I also received the A4 On and A4 Off commands from it. In the Activity Monitor.

If the controller you where using can be moved to different locations. That may show line issues if some locations work and others do not.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 10:43:20 AM by Brian H »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 10:59:01 AM »

I myself haven't seen this however I don't closely monitor it either unless something unexplained happens.
As Brian pointed out you may have a noise or signal sucker issue.
You don't state what each modules address is or what is connected to them.
It may be possible that what is connected to one or both of them may be a noise or signal sucker.
Also you may wish to try one of the many third party softwares to log and compare to AHPs activity monitor.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jclarkw

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 01:22:03 PM »

If the wired controllers. Power line signals are reaching the controlled modules but not showing in the CM15A's  Activity Monitor. One possibility is you have power line issues and the controllers commands are not getting to the CM15A. Just to the controlled X10 modules.
Do you have any phase coupler or repeater/coupler in the installation?

If the CM15A is on the same circuit as the computing equipment or an UPS. Both are known to absorb X10 and Insteon  power line commands.
I have a FilterLinc on my UPS. To stop it from absorbing X10 and Insteon power line signals.

Jeff has published a great set of troubleshooting tutorials.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

Brian and Tuicemen -- I take your points about noise (which I checked for long ago with an X10 signal analyzer but not recently) and "signal suckers" (of which I wasn't aware).  What puzzled me most is that, when the interface connected to the computer issued commands from downloaded a macro on a downloaded timer (not in the current file open in AHP), they didn't get logged!

But it's working now, so I guess I have more experimenting to do...  Thanks for your help! -- jclarkw

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.