Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Christmas Led Lights with X10  (Read 9802 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: Christmas Led Lights with X10
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2019, 11:03:11 AM »

We switched to LEDs last year, rather than use a night light, I bought a bunch of "scent candle" plug-in devices at our local Dollar Tree ($1 each) and they have a ceramic resistor across the terminals to create a little heat to make the scent liquid in the bottles evaporate, etc.
We don't put any of the scent bottles in the units, but I add one of these small resistive loads on the load side of the X-10 switches and they will then turn fully off when cycled.

HTH,
Chas

I wonder how many of these I could use to replace light bulbs under my shop sink to keep things from freezing.   :'

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Christmas Led Lights with X10
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2019, 02:17:29 PM »

.....I bought a bunch of "scent candle" plug-in devices at our local Dollar Tree ($1 each) and they have a ceramic resistor across the terminals to create a little heat to make the scent liquid in the bottles evaporate, etc.
We don't put any of the scent bottles in the units, but I add one of these small resistive loads on the load side of the X-10 switches and they will then turn fully off when cycled.

I wonder how many of these I could use to replace light bulbs under my shop sink to keep things from freezing.   :'

Likely fewer than you might think. Years (decades) ago.... I had a washing machine in a room that was little more than an old enclosed porch. To keep the sitting washer from freezing in the winter I added a fixture with a 40 watt bulb (25W would have been more than enough). When the temps dipped below freezing I switched the bulb to ON.

But times (and concepts) change. My primary bulbs [LED] used for lighting only use 8 watts. With that perspective it seems wasteful to expend 7 watts... so lesser LED's can be used. Almost like spending a dollar to save a dime (but not really). 
Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.