Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XPCR and dryer oulet newby questions - installation  (Read 1312 times)

jjs7cams

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
XPCR and dryer oulet newby questions - installation
« on: December 29, 2015, 08:43:31 AM »

Just purchased X10 Pro XPCR system coupler/repeater.  We have and unused dryer 50Amp 220 dryer outlet (3 prong) right under our main breaker box in the garage.  Outlet is used very infrequently to power an old kitchen oven we use for powder coating.  The oven is always unplugged and the breaker stays off except when oven is used.

So questions?

1. The XPXR instructions say to install to an unused 220V breaker inside the breaker box. Does the breaker have to be unused and does the size matter? Also it says to be placed inside a suitable enclosure.  What is considered a suitable enclosure?

2. Can I wire in the XPCR to the dryer outlet box that is not being used?  Would be simpler since I can turn off the breaker to the outlet and not have to turn off the main breaker to the house.  If so can the outlet still be used with the XPCR attached.

3.  Would it also be simpler to attach the XPCR to a male dryer plug and keep it plugged in until such time I want to use the oven.  Unplug the XPCR use the oven and then plug the XPCR back in.  I know there is a passive coupler on the market that does just that, but there is a lot of electronics on our circuits and want the repeater capability.

Thanks in advance

jjs7cams

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: XPCR and dryer oulet newby questions - installation
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 09:29:32 AM »

2. How far is the dryer outlet from the breaker box? If it is not close there will be losses in the wiring from the outlet to the breaker box.
Not sure if a 50 amp dual breaker is too heavy a rating to be used with the XPCR.

jjs7cams

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: XPCR and dryer oulet newby questions - installation
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 12:25:13 PM »

Outlet is less than a foot from main breaker box, it sits right below it.

Jjs7cams

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.