Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is a new Hub the right approach  (Read 1232 times)

Tucson

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Is a new Hub the right approach
« on: January 11, 2016, 08:37:00 AM »

I'm beginning to wonder if a new wifi Hub is the right approach. Or due we just need a RF bridge between either Bluetooth, Z-wave ... or ZigBee and X10 so we can use one of the new Smart Home Hubs such as the Samsung SmartThings Hub. These new Hubs already talk to a large number of devices such as Nest, SmartThings, Amazon Echo and have good UI's. It would require only a simple hardware bridge and minimal software. You might even get good support from one of these new Hub manufacturers so they can increase their user base.

Hope this makes sense my sons been up sick all night and it's 6 AM in the morning sometimes you get some weird thoughts.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 09:01:02 AM by Tucson »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: Is a new Hub the right approach
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 11:01:24 AM »

There was an article regarding the recent CES that questioned whether there's sufficient compatibility between the various IoT devices/platforms/hubs, etc. to decide a direction to take. I've raised that same compatibility issue here. Also, few, if any, of the hubs speak X10 so I suspect X10 users will always need some way to integrate with whatever other hub(s) they choose. And, if the hub manufacturers wanted X10 users, they would have already included support. I suspect none want to deal with X10 support issues - that's probably why Leviton, RCA, IBM, RadioShack, et al dropped their X10 products. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:06:51 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.