Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: x10 control by android  (Read 3129 times)

chris97l

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
x10 control by android
« on: March 22, 2016, 12:24:07 AM »

Hello, I hate to be this guy asking a question I am sure has been answered- but I did a quick search with no luck.

I have several existing X10 controllers (Heat, Hot Tub, water pump, lights, etc...) that I used a telephone transponder to control when I was away.

I added a DSL line, and my phone line switched to digital. I was told my X10 transponder won't work with a digital phone and I need to replace everything with something new. I'm surprised to hear that X10 maybe hasn't made the digital transition. Am I missing something?

I also heard that a ?discontinued? controller from Insteon (2242-222) might control X10 from the internet. So all I'd need to do is buy this hub and program it for the existing X10 controllers. Can anyone from the forum confirm that? If so, is the programming like C++, java, or something I will never be able to figure out?

I don't want to replace all the controllers in my house, and would think there is a user friendly way to do what I've always been doing just do it over IP v. touch tones. I've talked to the smarthome.com folks and this is what I know so far....

Thanks for any insight!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: x10 control by android
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 07:28:01 AM »

Do you currently have a X10 PC interface? (Cm15,11 or 19)
It may be possible to do use one of those with the PC and some software.

Also who told you the telephone responder wouldn't work?
I don't own one but my understanding it responds to tones, all my old telephone stuff still works on my DSL line.
The key is adding a filter before the equipment is plugged into the outlet.
Your phone company should supply these mine does for free.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 09:29:46 AM »

I added a DSL line, and my phone line switched to digital.
Unless you physically replaced your phone, it is still DTMF analog. If it makes a tone when dialing, it is analog and your telephone responder will continue to work. Have you tried it?  Look at it this way. When switching to DSL or cable phone modem; if everything went digital, you would have to replace all your phones. None of the cordless or wired phones on the market today would work.  

However as Tuicemen noted there are Android apps available. I use one, but it only interfaces to Homeseer home control program.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 09:32:51 AM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 11:18:29 AM »

If you use a controller that interfaces to a PC, you can use a number of solutions to control your system.  X10 had one that worked with AHP, but it won't work now that the servers are dead.  But, if you use a CM15 or another similar controller, people have been making 3rd party apps to utilize them for years.  Many/most have a smart phone app that will let you control things remotely as you requested.  But, as daveW and Tuicemen stated, if your old land line phone still works, your old phone caller will too.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 02:05:39 PM »

The Insteon android and Windows HUB apps are full of problems. With little or no fixes in months.
The iOS HUB apps are tolerable but still need workarounds.
I believe they are now playing puppy dog to the new Apple Home Kits.  :'
If you can find something else I would recommend you go that route.

I have seen reports that having a DSL telephone filter on any of the X10 devices that interfaces with a phone system helps.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 05:36:02 PM »

If you have a CM15A, HomeGenie is one option that I know has an Android app.  It supports other systems too, so you could potentially have X10, ZWave, Insteon, etc all running with a single controller.  I know there are other options, but I've been pretty happy with it for the last couple years.

http://homegenie.it/

lviper

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 09:52:50 AM »

My vote goes to home control assistant. It has both an android and ios app that allows control of your system from home or away. It also supports other systems as well, like insteon and others. The latest version that is still being tested now also works with Alexa and the Amazon Echo allowing voice commands.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.