Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Thinking about moving away from X10?  (Read 9062 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Thinking about moving away from X10?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 11:45:05 AM »

Better phone apps may not be that far off.

I agree. I also believe.... the political-economic winds could shift soon.... bringing about an avalanche of innovative products and new technologies. Including cloud enabled devices and software which are vastly beneficial (and scary to some). I remain whole heartedly optimistic!  

Everyone is playing with face recognition too and is possible on many devices it just hasn't been tied into HA to any great degree, Yet.

I know. I have some regrets about not jumping on Kinect [as in Xbox 360]. I've also recently saw an on-line advertisement for a stand alone FR camera/security product. I Keep feeding my (automation) piggy bank.... and I watch and read. And mostly... I look for an inspiration project. It was my Home Theater that launched me into HA... and BVC made me an addict. I have updated and modernized... but haven't yet found that new game-changing product-attraction I can't live without.

When I joined this forum... most people had no idea what Home Automation was (including myself). Now I say I have a "smart home"... and many people know what that means. I am very happy with what I can do with X10. Most of the uses for HA are really very simple.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 11:51:15 AM »

............ I started with the Insteon Homelinc software, but quickly went to the ISY994i controller.

Is this the hub/interface/controller you recommend?!?!?!?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 12:15:55 PM »

I know. I have some regrets about not jumping on Kinect [as in Xbox 360].
These can still be found in gameing shops used, or on ebay for about $20.
The Speech recognition with these is excellent as I've been playing with them for a while now in PCC.
There are a few different softwares that will intergate these into a HA setup.
These will allow person detection, face detection as well as facial recognition though a fast PC is required for the facial stuff.
Simple viewing and microphone use isn't a resource hog like facial recognition.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 12:22:01 PM »

What dimmable led lights are you using with X10?

I've had great success with "Energetic Lighting" BR30 dimmable bulbs. Smoothly from 100% to a candle. I also use BR40 bulbs from Hyperion. They dim down to about 30% of full bright. For "regular" bulbs I use Energetic Lighting as they dim very well.

They are almost all controlled with WS12A dimmer switches.

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 03:32:52 PM »

............ I started with the Insteon Homelinc software, but quickly went to the ISY994i controller.

Is this the hub/interface/controller you recommend?!?!?!?
[/quote]

Dave,

You have a few of choices for Insteon controllers.
1) homelinc software with a powerline interface - appears to be obsolete and longer supported
2) the "hub" - does not seem to offer a full feature set. I picked one up in Walmart on clearance for $50, but only because it had 2 plug-in dimmers in the box. I didn't even plug it in and play with it.
3) the ISY series - standalone and programmed wirelessly using a browser based interface.

There are a couple of others that are available (Vera springs to mind), but I went with the ISY because I picked that up on sale too. BrianH is probably more familiar than I am because I just set it up and forgot all about it. :)
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

HA Dave

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 04:11:48 PM »

Dave,

You have a few of choices for Insteon controllers.
1) homelinc software with a powerline interface - appears to be obsolete and longer supported
2) the "hub" - does not seem to offer a full feature set. I picked one up in Walmart on clearance for $50, but only because it had 2 plug-in dimmers in the box. I didn't even plug it in and play with it.
3) the ISY series - standalone and programmed wirelessly using a browser based interface.

There are a couple of others that are available (Vera springs to mind), but I went with the ISY because I picked that up on sale too. BrianH is probably more familiar than I am because I just set it up and forgot all about it. :)

Thanks! I think this is what is holding me back. What would be my "gain". Everything I have runs flawlessly. I can't come up with a new idea/project that requires new stuff. Nothing groundbreaking is being offered by anyone. So I wait.

HA Dave

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 07:37:58 AM »

These can still be found in gameing shops used, or on ebay for about $20.
The Speech recognition with these is excellent as I've been playing with them for a while now in PCC.
There are a few different softwares that will intergate these into a HA setup.
These will allow person detection, face detection as well as facial recognition though a fast PC is required for the facial stuff.
Simple viewing and microphone use isn't a resource hog like facial recognition.

Oops! I almost missed this post... sorry. Maybe I should revisit the Kinect [as in Xbox 360].

This is the unit/device that had recently caught my attention. It's stand alone, and interfaces with a smartphone.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 08:18:45 AM »

Look for the xbox 360 Kinects not the Microsoft Kinects for PCs and not the Kinects II if you do revisit the Idea.
You'll pay much more for the Microsoft Kinects for PCs and the  Kinects II.
I also haven't seen much in HA software for the Kinects II as it uses different drivers
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 02:10:24 PM »

.... not the Microsoft Kinects for PCs .....

Glad you mentioned that... the PC ones are what I thought I needed.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 02:22:59 PM »

Nope, there are drivers for the Xbox360 Kinects and they work just as well I'm told.
I use the Xbox 360 Kinects never tried the PC ones.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2016, 12:11:57 PM »

I didn't start using X10 until mid-1990 when I started with a CM15A and a couple of light modules.  Over the next 25 years the number of my devices increased to over 40 units.  However, it was always a struggle to keep things working reliably.  Motion sensors had very limited range.  Powerline  interference was always a problem even with filters, boosters and repeaters.  Vendor (X10) support (sales and technical) became just terrible. 

There was about a 5-6 year period at the end where I used iHouse.  To me the big advantage with iHouse was you could contact the developer directly for assistance.  But unfortunately, iHouse went by the wayside.

Finally, with the uncertainty of X10s future, I decide to change.

So in mid-2015 I switched to Insteon with no regrets.  Now with 25 devices (still adding), my HA is rock solid.  Devices are easily added.  FOSCAM cameras are easily configured.  No powerline filters/boosters/repeaters.  Yes, there are things I can't do with the HUB, such as time offsets.  Although an upgrade to an ISY controller would allow offsets.  But for now I'm pleased with the change.

Side note.  X10 Forum member support was always exceptional.  They were a different breed.  Kind of a "mom and pop" feeling.  Everyone helping each other.  That was fun.  Guess that's why I periodically come back to the Forum just to see what's happening.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth.

jtykal

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
  • It was working fine yesterday...
    • Casa Bella - Vacation Condo in Fort Myers, FL
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2016, 12:43:46 PM »

I've officially given up. At one point, I had X10 everywhere in the house, and with AHP and my modded CM15A w/attic antenna, I truly had a "smart" house. Below are just a few examples of what I had set up:
  • custom security system software w/door & window switches (see "Door Monitor" thread from several years ago)
  • motion detector near garage entry door to turn garage light on/off automatically via macro
  • door switch on the pantry door to turn light on/off automatically
  • motion detector near back door to flash a light in my office when the dog needed to go out
  • motion detector in the laundry room to turn lights on/off automatically via macro
  • various timers/macros for light control
  • door switch on overhead garage door turned a light on in my office if the door was left open
  • macros to turn on/off various lights with the push of a single button

I guess it was fun having a smart house -- more than that, however, it was an interesting hobby. For a while. Wireless range problems (even with my modded CM15A w/attic antenna) and power line noise were constant thorns in my side. Throw in the flaky nature of AHP macros -- which would have me up until the wee hours trying to debug -- and my "smart" house wasn't always so smart. I spend a lot of money and a lot of hours trying to make it all work, but when I told my wife that she couldn't plug in her cellphone charger in the bedroom until I installed another filter, that was the last straw. I had to choose between X10 and my wife. (Please, no comments from the peanut gallery...)

I replaced the "critical" functions with standalone timers and motion detector LED lights. I taught the dog to ring a bell by the door when he needs to go out. I bought an "off the shelf" security system that will work without having to keep my computer on and AHP running. Everything else I can live without -- and I'm getting a lot more sleep.

I'm giving away all of my X10 stuff -- see my earlier post titled "Box full of X10 stuff". Once I have everything uninstalled (in the next few days), I'm planning to review all of the messages I received, and offer it to whoever has the highest number of "helpful" posts in the forum.

Best of luck to all of you in your quest for the ultimate smart house!
AHP-CM15A(ext.ant)-SmartMacros-OnAlert-DoorMonitor(custom)-Win7

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2016, 02:05:06 PM »

I hear you!  When I was using AHP, I had the EXACT same issue.  After moving to a different HA system, I've had very few issues.  I've often thought about just going with non-smart motion lights, but then what would I do with all my extra time.   :'

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2016, 03:05:18 PM »

I never did have a very big AHP setup very few macros and even fewer timers.
Most of the tasks were performed by thirdparty software as soon as the first SDK was released.
I soon dumped my x10 hawkeyes and simular motion sensors and switched to the security type and haven't looked back.
I never realy had any issues with noise or signal sucker until we got the house rewired (Summer 2015).
You'd have thought it would have been better.
Luckly I had just gotten a XTBM signal meter for testing new X10 modules.
This quickly rooted out the issues which in some cases would have taken months to figure out instead of a few mins.
I started to move back to using AHP after X10WTI went belly up, this was mainly to help end users who lost their setup for one reason or another.
Now I'm moving back away from it as Windows 10 64 bit doesn't play well with it.
Thirdparty software works best for me (always has).

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2016, 06:34:23 PM »

I've officially given up. At one point, I had X10 everywhere in the house, and with AHP and my modded CM15A w/attic antenna, I truly had a "smart" house.

I guess it was fun having a smart house -- more than that, however, it was an interesting hobby. For a while. Wireless range problems (even with my modded CM15A w/attic antenna) and power line noise were constant thorns in my side.,,...........,
I'm giving away all of my X10 stuff -- see my earlier post titled "Box full of X10 stuff". Once I have everything uninstalled (in the next few days), I'm planning to review all of the messages I received, and offer it to whoever has the highest number of "helpful" posts in the forum.

Best of luck to all of you in your quest for the ultimate smart house!

Thankk you jtykal. . I received the big box of x10 stuff today. Very nice. This may be along with what I already had more than enough to last the rest of my life. Of course I'm not that young LOL. Thanks again!!!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.