Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Location of Passive Coupler  (Read 6140 times)

mrreed1939

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Location of Passive Coupler
« on: February 23, 2016, 09:20:45 AM »

I have two circuit-breaker panels which are fed from a third panel (located at the service entrance). I installed a CP000 Passive Coupler at the primary panel because there were lamps in one room that were not responsive to the computer interface (however, they were responsive to the manual controller located some distance from the computer interface). After installation of the coupler, those lights became responsive to the computer interface's commands, but others that had always worked quit responding to the computer interface commands (still responsive to the manual controller though). I've installed a repeater, but it hasn't helped.

My question is: could it make a difference in operation if I moved the passive coupler to one or the other of the two secondary panels? Or is this immaterial? Any other suggestions welcome also...

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Location of Passive Coupler
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 01:53:39 PM »

Sounds like the CP000 coupled some noise makers or signal suckers between the two incoming power lines.

Which location did you try the repeater in? What repeater model did you use?

Have you done any signal troubleshooting?

One thing to make sure of. The automation controller is not on a surge strip with a power line filter in it or the computing equipment.
Here is a great set of X10 troubleshooting tutorials.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 01:56:08 PM by Brian H »

mrreed1939

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 06:25:29 AM »

The repeater is a PLC01. I've tried it in several locations, it has yet to make a difference. The computer interface module is plugged into the same outlet is has been for several years. I've gone through ever troubleshooting tip I've found, and likewise every signal remedy. Today I'm going to move the coupler to a different panel (the one farthest from the primary one). I will try further experimentation with the repeater also.

One other note -- I have several modules on two different X10 unit codes that are set to dim when they are triggered ON by the computer interface. All the modules execute, but dimming does not occur. The timing of this failure seems to coincide with the installation of the coupler.

Thanks for the response. I'm not giving up yet. BTW -- the main failure are wall outlet modules. I have four of them in the kitchen, 3 on one phase, 1 on the other phase. They have quit working altogether. Same timing -- with the installation of the coupler.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 06:47:27 AM »

The X10 SR227 and X10Pro PAO11 Outlets. Have a small actuator arm in them that has a reputation of breaking.
If you can't control them from any place in the home. The actuator maybe broken.
If you can control them from some locations. Then I would suspect power line signal issues.

I am not an AHP expert. So I don't have any information on why the dim is not working.

SteffiHonan

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 05:52:05 AM »

Can you please share the details of your whole system?
Share the details of your connections also.
As per my experience if you can't control them from any place in the home. The actuator maybe broken.
Also if you can control them from some locations. Then I would suspect power line signal issues.

Impedance Controlled PCBs
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 03:22:54 PM by SteffiHonan »

kevinv

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 10:31:01 AM »

Just a quick response without reading the entire thread but if you havent looked at the XTBIIR,  IMHO, this is the ONLY repeater/phase coupler worth looking at.  I banged my head against the wall for almost 2 years before discovering it....  YMMV

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 08:46:20 PM »

Just a quick response without reading the entire thread but if you havent looked at the XTBIIR,  IMHO, this is the ONLY repeater/phase coupler worth looking at.  I banged my head against the wall for almost 2 years before discovering it....  YMMV
Double ditto.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 01:13:46 AM »

+1 for the XTB-IIR (and really anything by JVDE). It is an engineering marvel. It almost makes X10 PLC "plug and play" again!

joe s.

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 03:31:06 PM »

+2 for the XTB-IIR - made my old X10 system "real"

jsingle

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 08:45:30 AM »

I see a long list of endorsers for the XTB-IIR.  Were these kits or assembled units?  I went to the jvde.com website and some of the verbiage indicates kits while others are assembled.

Jerry

kevinv

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 08:59:58 AM »

I have bought mine all assembled... but I am sure the kits are fun too if you have the time.    Support is fantastic.   This is the best money you can spend if you are committed to x10.   Next best money is the WGL all house code transceiver (if you are doing RF stuff).   In general, as you know,  X10 is more of a lifestyle than anything else.  The stuff is just so unreliable (OK... time for all the X10 groupies to chime in   :)   :)   )    I have an install that is 99% reliable now including HomeGenie as a controller (another lifestyle decision  ... sigh)   and the two items above are the keys to getting even close to that sort of reliability IMO.

Enjoy!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 09:07:15 AM »

I see a long list of endorsers for the XTB-IIR.  Were these kits or assembled units?  I went to the jvde.com website and some of the verbiage indicates kits while others are assembled.

I come from the Heathkit era, and initially planned to offer these products mainly as kits, but about 80% of our customers want them custom assembled by us.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 09:14:03 AM »

Jerry

I bought mine as a kit. I am also an Electronic Technician.
If you are not very electronically inclined. I would suggest the assembled ones.
The instructions are very good but not like the old Heathkits. With every part labeled, a big pictorial showing where every part goes and all the parts values color codes called out.
You need to know part numbering/color codes and visual identification for some of the components

Some areas require good soldering skills.

Jeff is very supportive. I got the latest firmware update for my XTB-IIR for what I would say is a very modest cost.
Even though I accidentally ordered the European version. He did not ship it until it was verified I ordered the incorrect one and then sent the correct one.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 09:47:02 AM by Brian H »

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 09:49:43 AM »

I bought my XTB-IIR as a kit and assembled it myself, which I always do when I have the time because it saves money and is just more fun! I had no problem assembling it because everything was well-labeled, it came with a diagram and photos of what it is supposed to look like afterward, and even had instructions of the preferred order in which to install components. All of Jeff's kits are like this

I also had the option of ordering a pre-assembled unit.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.