Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: WiFi Surveillance Cameras  (Read 34915 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: WiFi Surveillance Cameras
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 09:33:46 AM »

Two way audio is available on most IP cameras but the pan&tilt models usually have it built in.
Also you may find due to mount location you'll need an external mic and or speaker as these internal ones are not the best.
Most cameras I've looked at have this option.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 03:23:03 PM »

No luck so far in finding any details on the 433MHz RF protocol used by the camera. All I can find are vague references to it with motion sensors, door/window switches, etc. but it finally dawned on me that there's a simple, low cost solution to the tenant notification issue. One ESP8266 can monitor the doorbell pushbuttons (we just need an extra set of contacts) and send notifications to the indicated tenant. One 3.3V power supply and one WeMos D1 mini will do. It will require a wireless router but I think that will be available on the security network for the complex.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/D1-mini-Mini-NodeMcu-4M-bytes-Lua-WIFI-Internet-of-Things-development-board-based-ESP8266/1331105_32529101036.html

I'm not as adept at juggling multiple projects as I once was so I'll probably set this aside while I work on the CM15A2Z mod. I may have to return to it when the manager of the complex comes by to discuss the camera and interfacing it to the doorbells and the security network for the complex.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2016, 04:02:05 PM »

I may have to return to it when the manager of the complex comes by to discuss the camera and interfacing it to the doorbells and the security network for the complex.
Just tell him you are a consultant, he won't be back.  -:)
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2016, 04:53:07 AM »

Hello
It has been a while since my last visit but am glad I did because am also looking for something similar for two apartment buildings. There are entry control systems with cameras available but it gets expensive specially in older buildings.
Last year I installed two Foscam F19851 HD cams in one building. I can see them from anywhere on my iPhone so can the manager. Since these cams are not connected to door bells so tenants have no excess. I would appreciate it very much if you could guide me to connect these cams to doorbell buttons.
Two years ago I installed SkyBell on my door. It is great. But not practical for multi units.

Mr. T. To quote you,"I have a Foscam mounted inside my home which auto turns to the door which is opened. (it monitors 3 doors using x10 door window sensors", could you please share this setup with me. This would spare a cam or two.

I have a modem with built in router and a second router. If the iPhone connects to modem router then I can not see any cams. So have to connect to second router. I haven't figured out the reason yet.
Will wait for your reply..

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2016, 06:44:54 AM »

IPS,
These are also older buildings (about 50 years old). Four 4-unit buildings were built by a young man with a small inheritance. He sold one to pay off debts, then he and his wife raised 10 children on the income (plus his income from other work). He's nearing 90 so they have sold the enterprise to the children's LLC with a son-in-law taking on active management (with one of his son's living onsite). He is modernizing and making improvements (and raising rents). They are adding conduits between buildings which will help, installing security cameras in hallways, parking areas, etc. and they are replacing the 4-gang mailboxes in the lobbies. I believe there will be access to the basement from the mailboxes so adding wiring should not be a problem but I do not yet know how skilled he or his son are with things like this or whether he will want to install a custom system designed and maintained by a 74 year old tenant with major health issues (and who can no longer get out to hardware stores to see what's available). I'm proposing a WiFi camera with two way audio mounted in a recess next to the mailboxes that will allow up to eight P2P connections at the same time. The cameras I'm considering have Android, iOS, Windows, etc. apps for viewing the camera and communicating via the audio link. Also, I've no clue as to the speed of sending a message to a remote phone via the Internet - unless it's immediate it doesn't seem practical for this application. With one hand paralyzed, I have no smartphone with which to experiment although I may get a $65 Fire tablet or a prepaid Tracphone to experiment. I have no need for messages,  email or audio since I'm rarely out. But, when I hear the doorbell, I'd like to be able to view the camera before going to the door.

However, Tuicemen and others here can probably pick this up and run with it. There's a free version of ZBasic for the ESP8266 and Tuicemen is already experimenting with the ESP8266 in another application plus he's far more experienced with IP cameras than am I. The WeMos D1 mini has a scripting language (LUA) preloaded and has 12 11 interrupt driven digital inputs so it should, in principle, be a rather simple and straightforward application - sense the pushing of a doorbell (need extra contacts on the pushbuttons) and send a message to the appropriate tenants phone (or PC, in my case). I haven't looked but there's likely to be someone (or multiple someones) who has (have) documented similar uses of the ESP8266 online. There is also an Arduino variant for the ESP8266 as well as a GCC compiler.

Both the camera I'm considering and the WeMos modules will come by slow boat from China so it's likely to be 4-6 weeks before I can have hardware to play with. Plus, I'll likely be busy with a brain transplant in the meantime.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston/cm15a2z.html

EDIT: As I expected there are numerous online documentations of similar applications. Here's one that's close to what we need.
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/send-text-message-using-esp8266-when-home-alarm-goes-off/
There's another Arduino/ESP8266 related application for sending email.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=286905.15
And there are many other, similar applications.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=esp8266+send+message+to+smartphone&pc=MOZI&first=15&FORM=PORE
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 10:24:42 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2016, 09:53:56 AM »

As far as giving tenants access to the video and audio, you just need a camera with two way audio that allows P2P connections (and an app for smartphones, etc.). Usually, it will have an ID/Password on the bottom. Routers will usually have the same info on the bottom. Also, if there's no desire/need or ability to  make remote connections, there's no need for the doorbell link. When home, tenants can open the app on their device when they hear the doorbell. I suspect my apartment manager will opt for this low maintenance option. The camera I'm considering allows 8 such connections at any one time which should be sufficient for a 4-unit building. It also allows control of Pan/Tilt from the connected device.
http://www.amazon.com/EWETON-1280x960P-Wireless-Detection-Alarm-W9A/dp/B01CP288FE?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_5&smid=A2RQYR2E3DXPER
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 10:18:59 AM by dhouston »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2016, 10:09:48 AM »

Mr. T. To quote you,"I have a Foscam mounted inside my home which auto turns to the door which is opened. (it monitors 3 doors using x10 door window sensors", could you please share this setup with me. This would spare a cam or two.
Since your using the HD foscams the commands needed are different form what I'm using as mine is the mjpeg model.
Foscam does offer a SDK API for these cameras however they don't make it easy to get though they say it is free.

Basicaly you setup the presets on the camera.
all you need to do is send a web request to your camera similar to this: http:// "camera IP:port"&Usr="Your username"&password="yourPassword" & command
Note: the syntax isn't exact

I was using AHP to see the security sensors then sending the request to PCC on a open status, however I've since added X10 security sensor (limited) support to PCC so I've cut out the need for AHP.
There is a post on my forum about this but it isn't for the HD models which I may add at a later date if I can jump threw all the hoops Foscam wants for the SDK.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2016, 10:30:27 AM »

As far as giving tenants access to the video and audio, you just need a camera with two way audio that allows P2P connections (and an app for smartphones, etc.). Usually, it will have an ID/Password on the bottom. Routers will usually have the same info on the bottom.
Most newer cameras have this option and some like the X10Airsights have a simple barcode which you scan with your phone so the connection setup is very simple.
Dave if you can't find any command info, SDK, or API for your camera you could try the free Foscam APIs as many IP cameras (especially those from China) use the same commands.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2016, 11:00:01 AM »

Dave if you can't find any command info, SDK, or API for your camera you could try the free Foscam APIs as many IP cameras (especially those from China) use the same commands.

The $55 camera I'm considering (link in earlier posts) has "Quick WiFi Setup By QR Code Scan via iPhone or Android using the App Yoosee(No Fee). Seamlessly Stream Video and Two Way Audio Directly to Your Smartphone, Tablet, Apple Mac or Windows PC. Support 8 Phone Viewers and 8 433MHZ Protocol Alarm Devices at the same time."

As noted earlier I cannot find any documentation for the "433MHZ Protocol Alarm Devices" and have security qualms about connecting to anything on my network. I'd prefer to airgap my WLAN. I'll likely go with an inexpensive phone or tablet that does not connect to my network and keep it in my pocket. That will let me see who is at the door. If it's Jessica Alba or Salma Hayek, I'll try to hurry to the door - if not, I'll not.  ;D

If the Yoosee app will run on my RPi-3, I can now connect it to my main PC monitor for video. That way it's not on my network.

For apartment owners/managers, this could be of interest if docs can be sourced. "IP Camera Supports 433MHZ GFSK Frequency Protocol, Which Could be Used Together with Almost All Wireless Sensor Alarm System with Same Frequency(433M or 315M), like Magnetic Door/Window Sensor Alarm, Smoke Detector Alarm, Human PIR Alarm, etc. Snapshots Will Be Sent via Email When the Alarm System Triggered."

The EWETON camera also has a wired ethernet port so it may not even need a separate router for an Internet link. Instead, it can tie into the security camera system planned for all three buildings.

So far, I've not had any answers to my emails to the vendor.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 01:56:23 PM by dhouston »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2016, 04:05:14 PM »

The $40 D-Link does not have Pan/Tilt and only has one way audio. It has
"Motion sensing technology sends you automatic push alert notifications whenever movement is detected. View, control and pinch to zoom up to 4x using the free mydlink Lite app available for iOS, Android devices and Windows Phones."

It will likely be a better fit here as it should be low maintenance.
http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DCS-934L-Night-Wi-Fi-Camera/dp/B00SIM78R0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

EDIT: Unfortunately, the box indicates it requires Java (notoriously insecure) so it's going back to Amazon unopened.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 07:45:05 PM by dhouston »

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2016, 06:52:17 AM »

Dhouston
Thanks for the detailed reply. I find it very interesting because I learned lot more by learning about other things referred to in your response. Terms that are commonly used but never really knew. So I did research and learned, for the moment any way, how long they'll remain will depend on usage of terms.

I'll will let you know what system I'll install.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2016, 08:45:49 AM »

IPS,
I, too, learn by searching/finding links like those I posted and by bouncing ideas off others in the forum. We'll be interested in your progress.

Here, I'll probably defer to the manager's choice for a camera to be mounted near the mailbox/doorbell combos in each lobby. If it is high resolution, supports P2P (peer to peer) and, preferably, has two way audio it will meet my needs. Pan/Tilt is probably not needed (depending on camera location). Remote connections will require a doorbell link and an Internet link (which can be wired or WiFi) but management needs to consider security implications - hackers getting at tenant's personal data could be a serious problem - and allowing remote access might be complicated when a tenant moves out since P2P ID/Passwords are permanent. Personally, I don't see a need for remote connections but then I'm at home 99.9% of the time.

If my head hasn't fallen off by then I'll post on the final setup here as well.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 09:10:59 AM by dhouston »
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.