Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: windows need activation  (Read 3061 times)

janbo

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
windows need activation
« on: May 19, 2016, 11:06:08 PM »

Just install AHP with lifejacket on windows XP, all seems to working(AHP with plug-in's) but with one little problem. Every time I start windows it says it needs to be activated, should I just put the license code in or is something more going on? XP worked ok before I installed AHP. The XP computer is one I use for music files and did have a ver of AHP on it but not working.

The main computer I use is running  win10 and does have AHP on it and working ok but without the plug-in's working. Would like to have the plug-in's working on the win10 computer. The problem I have with the XP ver,,so this normal?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: windows need activation
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 06:17:17 AM »

I had a similar thing happen to me and it was not even an AHP install triggering it.

I had a hard drive starting to make noise and replaced it. Used the manufacturers clone program and got a new Volume ID.

AHP became unregistered as I understand it uses the Volume ID. Lifejacket was still in its early stages of development and didn't fix my AHP. It is very possible it can now.

XP also triggered an Activation message. I believe in my case {been awhile} I just said yes to activate and it worked. Though I did not have to reenter the license code.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 12:35:13 PM »

I haven't used Lifejacket yet, but from what I remember, don't you need to change the volume ID on the hard drive to match the old one? I think changing the volume ID will cause Windows (XP, at least) to trigger the "reactivation" prompt. I think there used to be a phone number to call Microsoft to get a new activation code.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 12:47:44 PM »

Lifejacket does change the volume ID however this never affected any XP machine I tested it on.
it is possible to revert back to the old ID lifejacket saves that info on first run.
you could revert to the old id to see if that helps.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 01:43:25 PM »

Noam,
Reactivation was what I had to do.
The Seagate software clone of the old noisy hard drive changed the Volume ID on the replacement and I don't know the original ones Volume ID.  ::)
That also caused AHP to squawk.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 01:45:59 PM by Brian H »

janbo

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 08:49:06 PM »

Just a follow up on my last post. Did reactivated windows and all is well. Did notice one little item, ask to connect to internet for  activation, hit the button for that and never did connect, just activated windows.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.