Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hybrid X10 Home Control  (Read 4969 times)

gmusto

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Hybrid X10 Home Control
« on: May 29, 2016, 11:59:21 AM »

I bought my 1st few X10 products (BSR and Sears) in 1981 for my first home and have continued to automate each new home exclusively with X10 as I've moved to new homes culminating in a 4000 Sq ft home which I've just sold now that our kids have moved out. Since we've downsized and are starting new, I think it might be time to change from X10 and I'm not sure where to go. Would it make sense to integrate some of my existing X10 modules with another compatible technology (if there is one) to form a sort of hybrid system where the new technology could also control my old X10 modules? Second question, since I will never use most of these removed modules and controllers, is there a market for them perhaps to sell or donate?

janbo

Re: Hybrid X10 Home Control
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 01:54:34 PM »

Do like the word donate. What modules do you have? Looking for  one that you can plug into a wall socket and will allow you to control 16 modules.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 03:23:11 PM »

I bought my 1st few X10 products (BSR and Sears) in 1981 for my first home and have continued to automate each new home exclusively with X10 as I've moved to new homes
I have done the same thing in the same timeframe and are in our fifth home since 1979 when I discovered X10. Newer X10 modules are far more signal/command reliable, so I have decided to continue with X10 in our next home. Other than lack of 2-way communication for status updating, and speed issues, which can be a problem waiting on home control to turn on stairway lights when I open the basement door, I do not have a lot of motivation to switch to a different system since it will require solving new headaches.

I use Homeseer software for automation, and Homeseer "talks" X10, Z-Wave, Insteon, UPB, ZigBee,  with the proper interface(s). So, can your home control software interface to any other protocol? And, can it "talk" two different protocols at the same time? Those answers will help you create your hybrid system using X10 and some other protocol.

Ebay is a good place sell. This forum will likely have plenty of users who will take your X10 modules off your hands. 
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 06:32:34 PM »

Do like the word donate. What modules do you have? Looking for  one that you can plug into a wall socket and will allow you to control 16 modules.

Are you looking for the X10 SC503 or X10Pro PHC02? AKA Maxi Controller?
Both interfaces do one House Code and all sixteen Unit Codes.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Maxi_Controller

Both look like they are discontinued.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 06:41:55 PM by Brian H »

runner49

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 08:10:57 PM »

I am in the same situation as the op. Dave w , when you say you use the Homeseer software are you using the Hometroller hardware?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 07:05:34 AM »

I have moved on to Insteon with a Universal Devices ISY994i. Though I still have some X10 in use.

My Insteon modules are the earlier models that can also accept an X10 Primary Address. They removed X10 support in later hardware revisions of older designs and all newly designed devices.

Still using X10 Chime Modules, Powerflash with ELK930 Doorbell detector. To a control an X10 Chime Module. That also is chimed by the ISY994i at wake up time in the morning.

HR12A through a RR501 to control the Insteon modules. Along with the Insteon signaling from the ISY994i.

JV Engineering XTB-IIR X10 phase coupler repeater. That does not step on Insteon like many others do.

The ISY994i can also do X10 as shipped or you can add their firmware A10/X10 add on for more X10 options.
Adding their Z-Wave daughter board can then do Z-Wave.
Amazon ECHO can also be used with some optional add ons.

So for now most of my X10 and older Smarthome X10 only hardware. Are in large Rubbermaid Totes.
That I keep saying I am going to clean out but never do.  ::)

Lately Smarthome has changed its sales practices and I am not sure what it is indicating.
Earlier days we had sales a few select times a year. Now there seems to be a stream of sales if you are
signed up for email specials. One expires and another one starts. Not to the point the old X10WTI flood of emails got
but is getting closer.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 07:10:02 AM by Brian H »

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 01:25:31 PM »

My Insteon modules are the earlier models that can also accept an X10 Primary Address. They removed X10 support in later hardware revisions of older designs and all newly designed devices.
This.  I want to keep my system PLC and Insteon is the only system I have found that is an acceptable replacement for X10, but I feel like they kind of closed the door on me when they started dropping X10 support.  Insteon is still made to coexist with X10, but they removed the stepping stone of compatibility you might need to make the transition smoother.  Like Brian, I haven't bought any modules with the new firmware that excludes X10 support.  None that I haven't promptly returned upon discovery of said exclusion, anyway.

However, it's worth noting that when Insteon dropped X10 support, they also introduced support for dual-mesh networking in all modules, which is their fancy way of saying that nearly all modules now send and receive both PLC and RF at the same time to work around reliability issues of either in your configuration in order to get messages on the bus around dead spots.  Had I any X10 PLC reliability problems that were not easily solved, I would be very interested in that.

Lately Smarthome has changed its sales practices and I am not sure what it is indicating.  [...]  Now there seems to be a stream of sales if you are signed up for email specials.
I try not to be pessimistic, but considering X10WTI's history, this is a warning sign.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 05:55:48 PM »

I am in the same situation as the op. Dave w , when you say you use the Homeseer software are you using the Hometroller hardware?
No runner, I am running Homeseer 2.0 on an old Pentium 4 with a gig of memory. I use an ACT TI 103, serial interface between computer and house wiring. Homesser also interfaces to the X10, CM15A. Homeseer in my configuration does not need much horsepower. The Hometroller would be a simpler solution but I don't know much about it...sorry.   
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.