🔌General Home Automation > Other Automation Systems

Cloudless, PC-less, PLC-less timer

<< < (2/9) > >>

dhouston:

--- Quote from: HA Dave on July 14, 2016, 10:52:44 PM ---IMHO... if it works it works. I've never thought automation had to be of a certain brand or flavor. Or of a certain level of technology either. I am all for mix-N-match. I want ALL the advantages! From clock motors.... to whatever latest-greatest app gizmo gives me the most.

--- End quote ---
In general, I agree - but as computers have become ubiquitous I think there's an understandable desire for integration to simplify control, scheduling, etc.

But, there may soon be another computing platform that will interact with one's home and other things.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/07/12/the-importance-of-alibabas-new-internet-car/

JeffVolp:

--- Quote from: dhouston on July 14, 2016, 07:04:52 AM ---I had a clock-motor timer...
--- End quote ---

We used them for the living room light many years ago to give the house a "lived in" look while we were away.  The timer had to be adjusted periodically to track sunset, and the motor would begin to seize up in a year or two.  Then we discovered X10 with the old brown BSR modules and that timer with the blue fluorescent display.  We never looked back.

Jeff

dave w:

--- Quote from: dhouston on July 13, 2016, 01:18:31 PM ---https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-RPLS730B1000-7-Day-Programmable-Switch/dp/B004SOZHXY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1468429579&sr=8-2&keywords=honeywell+switch+timer

--- End quote ---
Sadly, the Honeywell switch "Requires natural wiring for correct install" and our home has mostly unnatural wiring...sigh.  rofl

bkenobi:
Then it's definitely a different model than the one I have.  Mine used hot, neutral, and ground.  I'm not sure if my local code would allow for me to also install a natural wire in the same box.

dhouston:

--- Quote from: dave w on July 15, 2016, 09:20:02 AM ---Sadly, the Honeywell switch "Requires natural wiring for correct install" and our home has mostly unnatural wiring...sigh.  rofl

--- End quote ---
I wondered if anyone would catch that. I suppose it's another offshoot of the organic movement. >!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version