Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Cloudless, PC-less, PLC-less timer  (Read 16694 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 01:23:29 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: Cloudless, PC-less, PLC-less timer
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 02:25:20 PM »

I have one very similar to the Honeywell (possibly identical).  It was working fine, but I replaced it with a cloudless, PC-less, PLC-less, RPi based timer.   ;)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 10:23:26 PM »

Back in the 80's I lived alone, worked long hours, and traveled a bit. I had a clock-motor timer That turned a light on. It made it look like I was home when I was away... and was OK to have on when I was home. I remember my parents used the same type of device and process when they went on trips.

I have an outdoor device that turns on at dusk (light levels) and shuts off at variable time later, (including dawn). I use it for some summer decorative outdoor lights.   

Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 07:04:52 AM »

I had a clock-motor timer...
For many years I drove Mercedes diesels which were reluctant to start in cold weather. I used a similar motorized timer to turn on a block heater an hour or so before I left in the morning.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 10:52:44 PM »

..... I used a similar motorized timer

IMHO... if it works it works. I've never thought automation had to be of a certain brand or flavor. Or of a certain level of technology either. I am all for mix-N-match. I want ALL the advantages! From clock motors.... to whatever latest-greatest app gizmo gives me the most.

I think my systems limitations... come from my own imagination.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:55:20 PM by HA Dave »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 06:48:22 AM »

IMHO... if it works it works. I've never thought automation had to be of a certain brand or flavor. Or of a certain level of technology either. I am all for mix-N-match. I want ALL the advantages! From clock motors.... to whatever latest-greatest app gizmo gives me the most.
In general, I agree - but as computers have become ubiquitous I think there's an understandable desire for integration to simplify control, scheduling, etc.

But, there may soon be another computing platform that will interact with one's home and other things.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/07/12/the-importance-of-alibabas-new-internet-car/
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 08:52:41 AM by dhouston »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 08:52:11 AM »

I had a clock-motor timer...

We used them for the living room light many years ago to give the house a "lived in" look while we were away.  The timer had to be adjusted periodically to track sunset, and the motor would begin to seize up in a year or two.  Then we discovered X10 with the old brown BSR modules and that timer with the blue fluorescent display.  We never looked back.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 09:20:02 AM »

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 11:10:33 AM »

Then it's definitely a different model than the one I have.  Mine used hot, neutral, and ground.  I'm not sure if my local code would allow for me to also install a natural wire in the same box.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 11:15:39 AM »

Sadly, the Honeywell switch "Requires natural wiring for correct install" and our home has mostly unnatural wiring...sigh.  rofl
I wondered if anyone would catch that. I suppose it's another offshoot of the organic movement. >!

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 10:03:09 PM »

In general, I agree - but as computers have become ubiquitous I think there's an understandable desire for integration to simplify control, scheduling, etc.

I'd say computers had become (past tense). Computers became ubiquitous here.... with the release of Windows 98. Home automation became "smart" with the addition of a PC running 24/7.... quite a few years ago (back with win95). And, X10 really helped lead the way IMHO!

I myself have been running an automation PC for about a decade. I actually run two computers for automation (one is a CE version tiny PC)... but that's a whole different subject. I have a server-like shelving set-up in my man-cave. I used to call "my room"... my office... then the Nerd-nasium... now it's my man cave. I don't even have a desk in there anymore. The one last full-sized PC I have setup (I have others in storage)... connects to a long range keyboard/mouse and HDMI connects to a 46inch TV/monitor. I can use the PC while seated at my bar-height table and chairs. Or even while on a bicycle mounted to a trainer.

For a long time I advocated the re-purposing of old PC's for home automation. And I still see nothing wrong with keeping the "old stuff" working. But there is a lot out there... that still can be done. But to accomplish what can be... we have to be willing to let go of what we already know how to easily do. And then.... fearlessly imagine what can be. 

Everything changes! Not only has "my room" changed much of what I used to really need a PC to do... I can now easily do with a tablet and/or phone. My automation would/could be better if cloud based and controlled through tablets and phones. I like better!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 10:24:23 PM by HA Dave »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 06:34:12 AM »

It was the proliferation of tablets, smartphones & crockpots that I was alluding to with the phrase have become ubiquitous.

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 12:33:02 AM »

It was the proliferation of tablets, smartphones & crockpots that I was alluding to with the phrase have become ubiquitous.

I am sure that is what you must have been thinking.... But it doesn't really change anything. Tablets and smartphones aren't new. The newest tech going on is the cloud. And we've been using the cloud for far more than a decade. This isn't scary new futurist technology.... this is the stuff we're (many of us are) using every day.

This is good solid useful stuff.

In general, I agree - but as computers have become ubiquitous
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 12:35:44 AM by HA Dave »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 04:55:16 PM »

Sadly, the Honeywell switch "Requires natural wiring for correct install" and our home has mostly unnatural wiring...sigh.  rofl
I suppose it's another offshoot of the organic movement. >!
<Grin> Yeah, could be. Could also be AutoCorrect gone nuts and a totally non technical advertising editor. However, it made my laugh, which seems to be an increasingly more difficult thing to do.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 11:20:03 AM »

The cloud has its place, but it doesn't when the tech is proprietary to the cloud and useless without it (at least in my home).  When the cloud offers features that add to those that are offered locally as a compliment, that's great.  The cloud approach is unacceptable when the only way the device is useful is with the server IMO.  Everyone can chose their own approach, but I won't buy tech that relies on some companies service that has no reason to expect will last forever.  Tech has a finite life span, but that doesn't mean that I can't continue to use it past that typical life span anyway.  I have a VCR and watched a movie last night on it.  If things were done today like they were in the 80's, then I would have a paper weight and a bunch of targets because the cloud validator service would be down since VHS is dead.   >*<
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.