Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cameras stopped operating suddenly after inadvertant Norton Firewall update  (Read 8171 times)

sheltiemom

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I have 8 airsight cameras that have been working perfectly for years.  All of a sudden, something happened yesterday causing the ip camera tool to not recognize any of them.  I believe this coincided with a Norton dialog box which appeared on my screen and I thought I checked no to it, but apparently it changed my firewall settings which stopped the ip camera tool from "seeing" any of the cameras.  I know nothing about firewalls or settings and don't have any clue what to do.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139

It seems like all routers are different. Especially getting into them. So can you repeat the same steps you did in the original installation?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 04:10:51 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!

You could try a Windows restore, restoring to a point when the cameras worked.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org

You could try a Windows restore, restoring to a point when the cameras worked.
Very good idea.  :)%
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

sheltiemom

I tried a system restore, but that didn't change anything.  Am currently trying to reinstall the cameras.  So far, 1 is working after I restarted the router and plugged it in nearby.  Still have 7 more to get working.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175

........ I believe this coincided with a Norton dialog box which appeared on my screen and I thought I checked no to it,

I would assume that your "thoughts" are correct. It could be that your updated Norton saw the cameras as an unregistered Web Site... and asked if you wanted an exception to that Site. Your Norton blocking/exceptions area could be the place to RE-allow you to see the cameras.

I tried a system restore, but that didn't change anything. 

The restore was a good idea that should have worked.... I would think.

If it was a Norton update setting change that altered your being able to view the cameras.... you'd need to restore to a point before that Norton update downloaded.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 12:23:04 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

sheltiemom

The system restore did nothing.  It went back 2 days before the problem occurred.  I have been unable to get the other 7 cameras working yet, just the one I brought to within close proximity to the router.  The others do not appear on the IP Camera tool.

sheltiemom

OK, so I rebooted my router and now all of my cameras show up in the IP camera tool.  The problem now is that I cannot access any of them from the internet, only from the computer connected to the router using the local address (192.168.0.1).  I have a no-ip.biz account which I use to access them via the internet and those pages will not open.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org

You probably now need to re-enter the data for your DDNS Service (no-ip.biz) in your router configuration. The details will vary with various routers but here's a how-to for a Netgear router and dyn.com (a free DDNS Service).
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-set-up-a-cheap-home-security-system-using-dynamic-dns/?_escaped_fragment_=#!
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

sheltiemom

I have a D-Link Router.  The Dynamic DNS settings are still there from before this issue.  Just the same, I re-installed them and saved and rebooted the router.  No change.  I also tried adding Port Forwarding (whcih I had not done prior to this issue).  Still no change.  I would love to show add images showing the routers page here, but don't know if that is possible.  Maybe if I could show you the page images for the router, there could be some suggestions for proceeding.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org

I would love to show add images showing the routers page here, but don't know if that is possible.
That's probably a bad idea. Details of your DDNS setup might allow others to view your cameras.

Have you checked with Support at no-ip.biz?

sheltiemom

I wanted to thank everyone for their assistance with me finally resolving this issue.  I went into my no-ip account and found that the ip address for my computer was not current.  I changed the ip address and all is well  :)%. :D

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.