Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dyson - Another Signal Sucker  (Read 5056 times)

JeffVolp

• Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Dyson - Another Signal Sucker
« on: August 21, 2016, 11:21:35 AM »

I was testing a batch of XTBM-Pro X10 signal analyzers, and one started to indicate errors.  The configuration I use is a remote RR501 and XTBR near the panel on the opposite phase from my lab with no signal coupler to deliver very weak signals for testing.  Normally that gives .06Vpp from the RR501, and about .50Vpp from the XTBR (again, on the opposite phase with no signal coupler).

The XTBM-Pro was either indicating a BSC (Bad Start Code), or the signal level was just .02Vpp when it was able to decode the command.  That is REALLY down in the mud.  I could faintly hear a vacuum cleaner running in the distance.  Our Dyson was plugged into the same circuit as the RR501, and was loading down its signal by a factor of 3.  That is a pretty serious signal sucker.

It is probably rare that a vacuum cleaner will be running simultaneous with X10 transmissions, but this might cause random errors that some folks experience.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Dyson - Another Signal Sucker
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 12:37:53 PM »

Thank you for the information.
I wounder if they may have a power supply in them.
Some of the sales illustrations look like they may have a high speed motor in them.

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 01:26:08 PM »

I wounder if they may have a power supply in them.
Some of the sales illustrations look like they may have a high speed motor in them.

I don't think there is any power supply.  Yes it has a high-speed motor that makes a horrendous amount of noise.  That motor crapped out on our last one.  Maybe it has a capacitor somewhere to deal with brush arcing.

Jeff

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 04:00:46 PM »

Not to get too far off topic, but the Dyson cordless "stick vacuum" claims to have a 10,000RPM "digital motor". A digital motor???  I wondered if Dyson's "digital motor" was nothing more than what would be called a brushless DC motor which (I believe ) is essentially a servo motor with built in chip to sequentially drive the coils. If it IS a brushless DC motor, that cranks 10k RPM with a lot of torque...I'm impressed. Perhaps Dyson isn't just a ridiculously priced Bissell. Anyone know what a "Dyson digital motor" is?   
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 09:14:08 PM »

Anyone know what a "Dyson digital motor" is?
I have wondered that myself.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 10:51:56 PM »

Dyson vacuum cleaners suck, mainly because they don't suck.
They probably call it "digital" because of all the single middle digits that they get shown.
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 09:27:12 AM »

Dyson vacuum cleaners suck, mainly because they don't suck.

We also have several others that had high reviews on CR or Amazon, but she prefers the Dyson for floors and the Eureka for smaller jobs.  The Hoover is backup for when this Dyson fails.  Maybe a Shark then...

Jeff

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 01:55:02 PM »

Anyone know what a "Dyson digital motor" is?
From what I have read in the past about the Dyson vacuums, they use a brushless DC motor.  It's impressive to me that they can get that amount of torque out of such a design, but the technology itself is of course nothing new; it's all marketing.  Apparently the very common coil switching method used to accomplish that is now embodied in their exclusive "digital pulse technology"!!

And did you know that this amazing futuristic technology has zero carbon emissions?!  Amazing!!
http://www.eevblog.com/2010/12/13/eevblog-132-delusional-dyson-marketing/

rofl

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.