Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No communication From AHP to lamp module  (Read 1953 times)

knease56

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
No communication From AHP to lamp module
« on: September 04, 2016, 07:46:33 PM »

Hi, I have a CM15A and I downloaded the software from X10 website. My computer recognizes the CM15a device but when I click on my lamp module it will not turn on and off. I have the lamp module set to A1. I have tried it on my windows 10 laptop and my vista computer. I use to use these X10 devices a log time ago when I had my windows 95 computer. Does anyone have any solutions on this?

Thansk Ken

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: No communication From AHP to lamp module
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 06:11:04 AM »

Try the Lamp Module in a few different locations. Maybe even the same outlet as the CM15A. You may have power line noise, signal coupling between the two incoming power lines or signal absorbers. Killing the X10 power line signals between the CM15A and Lamp Module location. If it works in some locations and not others. You have power line coupling and signal issues.

Is the CM15A on the same power as all the computing equipment? Computing equipment is one of the known X10 power line signal killers.

The later Lamp Modules (2007 and above) have soft start where they ramp On and Off. The older ones did not. If you had an older one you have to use the Older Lamps (No Soft Start) list of modules or they would not work correctly.
If the lamp modules where from your long time ago. They maybe the older ones that do not have Soft Start and need to be chosen from the Old Lamp List.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/SoftStart

Here is a link to some great X10 Troubleshooting Tutorials.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 06:17:41 AM by Brian H »

knease56

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 10:42:20 AM »

Thanks Brian, The lamp is in my living room. I took the CM15A and hooked it up in my office on my Windows XP computer and it works fine. I did some test timers on it and it came on and off at the times I set. When I plug the CM15A in the living room and use my HP Windows 10 computer nothing works. Could it be my Windows 10?

Thanks for your help

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 11:05:20 AM »

Others are using Windows 10. I don't believe there where issues reported.

It is possible the Windows 10 computer if it is connected to the same power circuit. Maybe sucking up all the X10 power line signals or making power line noise.

Another thought would be the Living Room has more than one circuit feeding it.
The Lamp Module is on one circuit and the computer on the other circuit. With the signal not getting from one circuit to the other in the breaker box. Especially if the circuits are on the opposite phase of the incoming power and you have no phase coupler between the phases.

knease56

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 12:09:27 PM »

Thanks, that seemed to work. It is on a different circuit. With that said, would I need to get a different CM15A for each circuit on this house and plug these into different computers for each circuit?

Thanks alot Brian

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 01:21:43 PM »

Thanks, that seemed to work. It is on a different circuit. With that said, would I need to get a different CM15A for each circuit on this house and plug these into different computers for each circuit?

Thanks alot Brian
There are several ways to get the x10 signals to the other phase.
The best most common way is a Phase coupler. These come in to types, one is wired into the fuse panel, the other is a plug in type which plugs into a dryer or stove outlet and has a pass threw for the appliance.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.