Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lamp Module on different circuits  (Read 2476 times)

knease56

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Lamp Module on different circuits
« on: September 05, 2016, 02:27:45 PM »

I have different lamp modules that are on different circuits. would I need to get a different CM15A for each circuit on this house and plug these into different computers for each circuit?

Thanks Ken

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Lamp Module on different circuits
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 02:34:44 PM »

No you will not.
You need proper signal coupling between the power line phases and checking for power line signal suckers and noise.
Jeff's Tutorials give you lots of information on how to get X10 reliably through the house.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

I personally am using the JV Digital Engineering. XTB-IIR X10 Repeater myself.
http://jvde.us/xtb-iir.htm
It is the gold standard for X10 signal coupling. Though many here have used a passive X10 coupler and a few X10 filters on offending devices.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 02:44:33 PM by Brian H »

knease56

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 07:23:54 PM »

Thanks for the info Brian, Appreciate it. But to confusing for me.

Thanks Ken

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 06:11:15 AM »

X10 power line signals being sent on the power lines.
Can be absorbed by some electronic devices or corrupted by power line noise around the X10 120KHz power line frequency.
Many times you may have to filter the offending device with an X10 type filter to improve communications.

Most homes have split single phase power. Where there are two incoming power lines and a neutral line. There is 120 volts between either line referenced to neutral and 240 volts between the two lines. For X10 power line signals to get from one incoming line to a device on the other incoming power line. It has to go all the way out to the transformer on the street and back on the other power line. Most times it does not make it or is so weak the X10 module does not respond.
A phase coupler passes the X10 signals between the two power line in the home. Many times connected to the two lines in the breaker box. There are two types.
Passive couples the signals between the two lines at the X10 signal level at the breaker box. The X10 signal will probably be degraded from the wiring from the X10 controller to the breaker box.
Repeater coupler types. Take the received signal on one line. Amplify it back to a decent level and then send it back on the other line.

AlfySande

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 12:53:16 PM »

Hi..i am a new user here. As per my knowledge there is 120 volts between either line referenced to neutral and 240 volts between the two lines. For X10 power line signals to get from one incoming line to a device on the other incoming power line. It has to go all the way out to the transformer on the street and back on the other power line. Most times it does not make it or is so weak the X10 module does not respond.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 01:22:39 PM »

Hi..i am a new user here. As per my knowledge there is 120 volts between either line referenced to neutral and 240 volts between the two lines. For X10 power line signals to get from one incoming line to a device on the other incoming power line. It has to go all the way out to the transformer on the street and back on the other power line. Most times it does not make it or is so weak the X10 module does not respond.

Yes. That is why almost all present X10 installations. Need some passive coupling or X10 signal repeater between the two incoming power lines.
Most also have to use an X10 type filter on electronic devices that make power line noise or absorb {Signal Sucker} the X10 power line signals.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 09:40:35 AM »

For X10 power line signals to get from one incoming line to a device on the other incoming power line. It has to go all the way out to the transformer on the street and back on the other power line.

If you want to spend the time, here is a document I wrote about phase coupling:  http://jvde.us/x10/x10_couplers.pdf

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.