Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ds10a transmission to ps561  (Read 3538 times)

mgartner

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
ds10a transmission to ps561
« on: September 14, 2016, 02:07:13 AM »

I've got an old PS561 console and a number of ds10a sensors (two on windows and one on a door) as well as a motion sensor.  They are installed inside a metal-clad pole building (shop).  The one ds10a window sensor is about 50 ft away from the console, but it works perfectly and its signal passes through two divider walls in my shop to reach the console.  The door ds10a is about 15 ft away from the console and transmits through one divider wall, and is utterly inconsistent in triggering the door bell in run2 mode (I have it set to "MAX" per the manual for doors).  The door ds10a transmitter box is mounted above the door on a 2x4 piece away from the metal clad wall (I read some other posts and tried getting it off the metal).

What I have discovered this evening is that if I stand directly under the door transmitter (inline to PS561 too), the PS561 gets the signal and chimes the door bell.  If I stand to the left a foot or so, there is no chime.  In both cases I can see the transmitter LED flashing when I open and close the door.  From appearances, it seems that my body somehow assists signal transmission and that the wall it is mounted to (or perhaps conduit from light switches to fixtures, 8 inches away) is causing interference somehow. 

Can anyone please tell me how I might fix such a situation?   Change DS10a antenna inside somehow or re-reflect the signal somehow?  Any help is appreciated...thanks.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: ds10a transmission to ps561
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 06:07:20 AM »

Keeping the DS10A off of the metal is a good start. Mounted on metal would have complicated the issue.

You may want to look at this for some ideas on passive radiators.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston/X10_feng_shui.html

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 06:12:11 AM by Brian H »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 07:26:38 AM »

You also might wish to look at the SR751 to boost the RF signal.
https://www.x10.com/x10-pro/specialty-devices/sr751.html
In my tests, not only did it increase the range but it also helped with week signals.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 09:06:08 AM »

FWIW I have several X10 motion detectors where I am using the passive radiators for signal reliability. You will have to experiment to find the best position next to the DS10A for the radiator. I don't know where, internally, the DS10A antenna is located, but you will want to position the mid point of the 18" radiator next to that point. I have also used the 9" quarter wave but you mount it with the end of the radiator close to the DS10A antenna, not the mid point. $0.02.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 03:07:08 PM »

You also might wish to look at the SR751 to boost the RF signal.
https://www.x10.com/x10-pro/specialty-devices/sr751.html
In my tests, not only did it increase the range but it also helped with week signals.
 >!

That link says...
NOTE: The SR751 repeats RF Signals operating at the 310 MHz (X10 Automation) and 433 MHz (X10 Security) frequency.

It's been a few years since I've done much hands on experimenting but all of my X10 Security devices used 310MHz. Is this an error or have things changed?
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 07:48:06 PM »

I believe it maybe an error.
The FCC Database for X10 only shows 310MHz for security and X10 RF devices. 418MHz for a few of the IR extender type devices.
433.92MHz was shown for a few of the ATI and NBC Remotes. Made by X10 for other manufacturers.

mgartner

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 03:49:30 AM »

Hi thank you guys for your responses...I tried Dave Houston's Feng Shui method (Thank you Dave!) and used an 18.25" piece of 12 gauge copper laid horizontally like the diagram in the Dave's link, but in behind the ds10a instead of above it (the little plastic standoffs provided a convenient "Shelf" to start from).   So far it looks like it's working, no matter whether I'm inside or outside opening the door or where I stand relative to the sensor, so at the very least it's a major improvement!

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed this did the trick...If it shows consistent results or not, I will post another reply in a few days to update.  Thanks again!

Matt

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 06:09:07 AM »

Behind may actually better.
In the DS10A the transmitter antenna is on the back side. If memory serves me.

mgartner

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 12:51:16 AM »

Sorry about the delay in getting back to those interested. 

I made 18.25" antennas for all my sensors and installed the ds10a transmitters on 2x4 blocks to keep them off the wall metal cladding (Same as I did for the door sensor).  Since then the system has worked flawlessly save for one day when a window sensor went on the slow blink.  After that day it never occurred again, so I'm not about to complain!  Thank you so much again for your help guys!   

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.