Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: CM11A versus CM15A signal output?  (Read 8180 times)

BAS-Sr

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM11A versus CM15A signal output?
« on: September 19, 2016, 09:04:18 AM »

I have had the X10 technology installed in my home for over 18 years, in general works very well, have a few issues but most prevalent is the ability of the CM11A to send the signal (signal strength) to the farthest modules. Tried a power enhancer, that lasted about a year before the unit went bad and I am not going to spend more $$$ for that product.

I have been running the earlier version (1.45) of Active Home, just upgraded to the 3.3 version. Seems to connect to the CM11A fine, much nicer user interface! :-)

I also see that there is now a newer version of the CM11A, the CM15A. Does the CM15A provide a stronger signal output than the CM11A?

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: CM11A versus CM15A signal output?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 09:23:10 AM »

This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 10:23:26 AM »

The CM15A is a newer unit than the CM11A.
It has a completely different interface to the computer. CM11A is serial. CM15A is USB.
Also the older Active Home software will not work on a CM15A that uses Active Home Pro software. As you found out. The later versions of AHP also would work with a CM11A.

The CM15A also has an X10 RF receiver and RF transmitter in it. So it can receive RF signals from things like X10 Motion Sensors and X10 RF remotes.

Many of us use the Cadillac of X10 Coupler Repeaters. An XTB-IIR. It blasts over a 20 volt X10 signal back on both incoming lines. Mine has been running for many years now. Jeff's designs are good.
http://jvde.us/xtb-iir.htm
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 10:28:14 AM by Brian H »

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 12:26:49 PM »

If you keep a PC running 24/7 and the CM11A setup otherwise works well for you, you could also upgrade to Jeff's XTB-232. It functions identically to the CM11A except it does not have built-in event memory and timer, so it requires that the computer remain connected and on. It sends a much stronger signal on the power line and is much more reliable, however. It and the CM11A also work with the latest version of ActiveHome Pro and the scripting SDK.

The main reason I would replace the CM11A with the XTB-232 is to increase reliability of the CM11A itself as I've had lots of issues with them locking up. If you have other signal issues, it won't necessarily solve them. The XTB-IIR repeater that Brian mentioned would do a lot more for general signal issues than the XTB-232 would.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 10:58:34 AM »

There are lots of ways to go but it depends on what your ultimate goal is.  If you want to keep things as close to the current configuration as possible but increase reliability, I'd recommend the XTB-IIR.  If you want to update your controller and keep the same PC running, the XTB-232 might be a good way to go (I've never used either a CM11A or XTB-232 so I'm just going on forum opinions/posts).  If you want to update the controller to a newer standard and/or upgrade the system the controller connects to, I'd consider going with the CM15A as it has usb and is compatible with Windows, Linux, etc and there are lots of options for HA software.

If you simply want to improve your reliability in a couple rooms, you might consider starting with the XTBM to locate your signal problems and correct them with the appropriate solution (filters for starters).  If you do want to go with filters, check ebay first as I've found a number of used Smart Home filters for a very affordable price.  They go for ~$50 new but I've gotten them for around $5-10 + shipping.

BAS-Sr

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 07:50:44 AM »

Thanks for all the input! :-)

Little more info on my installation:

- I have a TM751 installed for using handheld remotes, always get good response to turning on/off modules from that since the output level is twice the CM11A.
 - I have my CM11A placed in an outlet very close (within ten feet) of the circuit panel so the signal does not have to travel too far to distribute though out the house.
 - I also have 2 circuit panels in my home (have over 70 circuit breakers between both of them) bridged by a power distribution panel above the 2 circuit panels.
 - I have a Leviton phase coupler/bridge between 2 of the circuit breakers in one of the circuit panels bridging the 2 110VAC circuits.

I want to keep my installation as simple as possible, do not keep my PC and AH connected, the CM11A is the stand alone controller I have used, just seem to run into issues (not all modules getting the signal) at times. I know I have some frequency interference at times from something in my house, I think it it my HVAC (geothermal) system, seems like the X10 modules respond (turn on/off) better in the spring/fall when no heat or AC is running.

I looked at the output signal strength of the CM15A, only 1 volt more than the CM11A....got to think about whether or not it is worth the $$$ to try.

I just seem to find that I occasionally have to drain the CM11A, reload the DB, and seems to work for 6 to 8 weeks. Always change the batteries too when I do that.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 06:08:44 AM »

It does sound like you have marginal power line signals. Since the stronger output TM751 has better control than the CM11A.
Have you tried isolating possible signal suckers and noise makers. By unplugging some electronics and seeing if things improve?
Do you know if the Leviton is a passive coupler/bridge or an active coupler/repeater?

Depending on availability. Jeff at JV Digital Engineering sometimes has loaner XTBM X10 test meters some users have used to trace down signal issues.

Jeff has a great set of X10 troubleshooting tutorials you may want to look at.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

BAS-Sr

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 06:41:35 AM »

OK, so I bought a CM15A, new off eBay.

In preparation of the CM15A, I upgraded the Active Home 1.x software to the Active Home Pro 3.6 software.

Seemed like the new AHP worked with the CM11A just fine, still having signal issues that same as I had previously, but I did not expect to see any difference with the signal strength just because I upgraded the software app.

Received the CM15A, hooked it up via USB, first thing I did was to clear the interface memory, took over an hour for this to finish, seemed a little odd to me that it took so long. Now at this point I have had the AHP software loaded for about a week, each time I load it, asks me to register? Loaded the modules down to the CM15A (I only have 2 modules I use on a regular basis, other codes I have I use the handheld remote to turn on/off). Module load seemed to go fine, checked/setup the time/date/location in the CM15A with AHP, all seemed to work fine, but it did NOT control the modules on or off at all.

So at this point I was wondering if the new AHP needs to be purchased/registered for it to work with the CM15A? Or could I just have a faulty CM15A?

So I the unloaded the AHP, reloaded the Active Home 1.x software, now that version says I don't have a valid COM1 port (even though I do, checked BIOS and Windows, both say it is working fine). I also made sure that when I was reloading the AH 1.x, I made the change in the COM port default.

Does the AH Pro 3.6 have a trial period? Do I need to purchase it to have it work with the CM15A?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 07:47:09 AM »

Where did you get AHP 3.6? The latest version is 3.318.

If the modules not working are LM465 Lamp Modules.
Are they Soft Start, where they ramp On and Off or older instant On and Off?
If they are the older ones that are not soft start. You have to define them from the Old Lamps Before (Soft Start) module list or they may not work correctly.

The COM port thing could be left over programs not removed. I believe X10NETS may still be there and starting claiming the COM1 port.

Tuicemen has a whole forum section devoted the AHP. You may want to give it a look. He has a program [Life Jacket] that allows you to install AHP on new installation as X10WTI registrations servers are long gone.
http://tuicemen.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=pn6vnt29i80sla8r0ajpmn5el5&board=44.0
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 07:52:26 AM by Brian H »

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 08:35:53 PM »

I do not have access to a computer with AHP to test at the moment, but IIRC, there is an item on the Tools menu in AHP that allows you to set the COM port for the CM11A. As long as it is set to use a CM11A and COM port, some features will not work with the CM15A and the X10NETS service will hold whatever COM port you have selected open, making it unavailable to other programs. This could be your problem.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 06:08:20 AM »

I do not have access to a computer with AHP to test at the moment, but IIRC, there is an item on the Tools menu in AHP that allows you to set the COM port for the CM11A. As long as it is set to use a CM11A and COM port, some features will not work with the CM15A and the X10NETS service will hold whatever COM port you have selected open, making it unavailable to other programs. This could be your problem.

That is exactly what I also found out.
I had done some CM11A tests with the COM1 port set.
The programs I use serial port communications to other controllers gave a COM port in use message.
I set X10NETS service to manual from automatic. So it didn't automatically start at boot up. It still stayed running if AHP was started.

BAS-Sr

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 07:07:27 AM »

Where did you get AHP 3.6? The latest version is 3.318.

If the modules not working are LM465 Lamp Modules.
Are they Soft Start, where they ramp On and Off or older instant On and Off?
If they are the older ones that are not soft start. You have to define them from the Old Lamps Before (Soft Start) module list or they may not work correctly.

No, I use the LM465 quite a bit around the  house, same code to turn on lights at dusk and turn them off later at night. The problem is with the ones that I have a far ends of the circuits such as the one I use to turn on the spotlight for my flagpole, it works fine with handheld remote via the TM751 receiver, but the CM11A is just not enough signal strength even though it is plugged into an outlet 5' from the circuit panel.

BAS-Sr

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2016, 07:11:43 AM »

Thanks for the heads up about the setting in AHP, did not think about that setting, not sure if that was the issue with communicating to the CM11A with the older version of AH.

Uninstalled the older AH, re-installed the AHP and yes, the CM11A was set for COM1, disabled that and now I am communicating with the CM15A, can turn lights on/off via the AHP, so let's see how it works tonight! :-)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 09:05:19 AM »

The problem is with the ones that I have a far ends of the circuits such as the one I use to turn on the spotlight for my flagpole, it works fine with handheld remote via the TM751 receiver, but the CM11A is just not enough signal strength even though it is plugged into an outlet 5' from the circuit panel.

In a test I did at our own home some time ago, I plugged a Maxi Controller into a 50 foot extension cord that was plugged into an outlet adjacent to the main distribution panel.  I was surprised to find that about 90% of the signal voltage was lost over that run.  So it is easy to see how X10 devices located a long run from the panel may not receive enough signal to function reliably unless the signal level is boosted.  There may even be significant loss from an outlet located 5 feet away from the panel if the actual wire run is longer.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

BAS-Sr

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2016, 07:09:43 AM »

OK, I had high hopes for last night since I was able to control lights thru the CM15A yesterday, but lights did not go on last night, ended up turning them after dark via the handheld remote/TM751, and they did not go off per the scheduled time off (11:30PM).

When I first got the CM15A, I loaded the old data from the CM11A file I had. Could I need to delete the modules and re-create them in the AHP for them to work in the CM15A?

I just can't get this CM15A to work on a schedule at all?

Basically I have 2 events that are programed to happen each night that are in my database as follows:

House code A number 12, on at dusk, off at 11:30PM
House code A number 15, on at dusk, off at 11:30PM

I check the geographical location, set to Freehold, NJ, very close to Millstone Township. Time in CM15A shows same as my PC.

I would assume that this CM15A should work running the schedule if I can execute each of these to turn lights on/off via the AHP through the CM15A? It says it loads the modules fine?
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.