Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tried the CR134 phase coupler/repeater  (Read 3577 times)

YF12A

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Tried the CR134 phase coupler/repeater
« on: October 31, 2016, 05:20:19 PM »

Half my X-10 stuff stopped working about 3 weeks ago. Tried a phase coupler, didn't work, sent it back, tried the CR134 but it didn't work either. Guess I'm going with Insteon but I've got so much money tied up with X-10. Sick from having to junk it all.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Tried the CR134 phase coupler/repeater
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 06:05:41 PM »

You have likely got a coupling problem or a noise problem. You have been around for a long time so have probably tried to track down a noise problem. But here is a link for X10 troubleshooting anyway http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

Before spending a wad on Insteon, consider investing in a XTBIIR coupler / repeater from JV Digital Engineering.
http://jvde.us/xtb-iir.htm

I, have fought with X10 since 1979 and over the past decade have threatened to jump on the Insteon wagon. I do recognize Smarthome products as quality products, but, like you, hate to throw away all the X10 stuff. The XTBIIR eliminated 99% of my reoccurring problems.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 06:14:22 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 06:12:10 PM »

dave w and I where both posting at the same time. So some of this is a duplicate of what he posted.

Did you verify that the phase coupler or repeater where bridging both phases?

Half the installation sounds like you have a new electronic device or a existing device making power line noise or absorbing the power line commands.
Any electronic devices moved to a new location.

What X10 controller are you using for your X10 control?

Jeff has a great set of troubleshooting tutorials. You may find some information there also.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
I have one of Jeff's XTB-IIR repeaters. Best device I have ever used.

Severe power line noise and signal suckers also can effect Insteon. Though most time not quite as bad.
Even at the present X10 module costs. Insteon is much more costly.
My ISY-994i Insteon intelligent controller with PLM was close to $300.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 06:19:45 PM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 06:15:58 PM »

Brian, we have to stop meeting like this.  rofl
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 01:12:02 AM »

Half my X-10 stuff stopped working about 3 weeks ago. Tried a phase coupler, didn't work, sent it back, tried the CR134 but it didn't work either.

One other suggestion is to be sure you actually connected the phase coupler or repeater to both phases.  Some people have connected to both sides of the panel thinking that is how the phases are split, but they actually alternate down each side.  One sure way to know it is connected properly is to wire it both terminals of 240V breaker.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 12:41:58 PM »

Before spending a wad on Insteon, consider investing in a XTBIIR coupler / repeater from JV Digital Engineering.
http://jvde.us/xtb-iir.htm
+1 for the XTB-IIR and for JVDE products in general.  I bought the XTBM-Pro signal meter and found all my noise generators and signal suckers and isolated them with filters.  I bought and installed the XTB-IIR and it solved all my problems with signal attenuation on long circuit runs.  I bought the XTB-232 and it solved all the hardware problems I had with the CM11A.  Every one of their products that I've used is the absolute best in class.  Those investments are still paying off also, because I can still buy X10 products for cheaper than their competitors and know that they will work reliably because of the JVDE products I have.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 02:25:11 PM »

YF12A, If your stuff was work and just stop then chances are it isn't a phase issue but noise or a signal sucker.
First look at new electrical stuff you recently started using.
A signal meter will help considerably.

I recently had a laptops power supply start throwing so much noise that every thing on that phase stopped responding.
Using Jeff's XTBM signal meter what would have taken weeks to figure out only took mins.
Everyone should have at least the XTBM, I have it and the Pro version.
I also had a standard incandescent light bulb which started to play havoc on my setup which I never would have thought to be the culprit.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.