Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: System Failure  (Read 2473 times)

acenm

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
System Failure
« on: November 20, 2016, 10:16:04 AM »

I am new to this board, but I have had an x10 system in my house since it was built 20 years ago. It has been running fine, with the occasional 4 position 16400 module going out, and I replacing it. However this past Tuesday everything just stopped responding/working. None of the 16400 modules will turn anything on or off. I know I am getting a signal sent because the coupler/repeater led lights flash whenever a button is pushed on any of the 16400 keypads, so I know it is transmitting/receiving, but nothing is happening to the lights. So this past few days I have tried to do a crash course in truly learning about the x10 system, and I have learned a lot, but still have questions:

1) What could cause the entire system to work and then not work in a matter of minutes? Is there test or a way to test/diagnose this better?

2)How is it possible to have 3 of the 16400 modules all with different addresses, all point and be able to turn on the same light? I think i understand that it is not one transmitter to one receiver, so how can that work that the one receiver can recognize the input from 3 different addresses? Or am I understanding that wrong?

3)Kind of related to 2: How does the address interaction work? I mean I think to understand that a transmitter with one address sends a command and then the receiver with that same address activates that command, are the addresses located anywhere else besides on the transmitters and/or receivers?

I am a newbie when it comes to this forum and understanding the x10 system, any help would be appreciated, or if anyone could point me to a thread. It is frustrating to have this happen and I can't for the life of me figure out any reason why nothing is responding, even though a signal is being sent. Thank you in advance for any help.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: System Failure
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 10:59:24 AM »

The usual suspects are new electronic devices (which today can even be LED lights) that spew noise onto the powerline or that eat X10 signals as a consequence of having a capacitor across the line (to block them from spewing noise). Often times a device that has been fine for a long time suddenly becomes a noise source. Chasing them down can be challenging without test gear.

The address is part of the PLC signal transmitted over the powerline. See...
http://digilander.libero.it/cvolpato/elettronica/X-10_Transmission_Theory.htm
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 11:17:41 AM »

Jeff also has a great set of X10 troubleshooting tutorials.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

I would also suspect a new electronic device was installed in the home, an existing device was moved to a new location or an existing device is failing.

Did your power company recently install a Smart Meter?

acenm

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 01:08:11 PM »

Jeff also has a great set of X10 troubleshooting tutorials.

I would also suspect a new electronic device was installed in the home, an existing device was moved to a new location or an existing device is failing.

Did your power company recently install a Smart Meter?

- Thank you for  this post. We have started installing LED lightbulbs, but they are off, can they still produce nose even though they are off?

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 01:55:22 PM »

It's likely that the LEDs have across the line capacitors intended to prevent noise from their switch-mode power supplies from reaching the powerline (mandated in some locales). These seriously attenuate X10 PLC signals as well.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 02:54:47 PM »

We have started installing LED lightbulbs, but they are off, can they still produce nose even though they are off?

CFL and LED light bulbs only cause a problem when they are actually switched on.

It might be something as innocuous as a cell phone charger:

http://jvde.us/x10/x10_cellet_noise.pdf

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 03:57:08 PM »

As indicated. Only when On.
In some marginal signal situations. It can lead to can turn On OK but not Off. Extra noise or signal sucking from the load when On can cause the Off command to not work.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 10:49:49 AM »

In my experience, the best way to figure out if a single device is the culprit is to turn off breakers one at a time (or all off then on one at a time) until you find the one(s) that contain the problem device.  Once you have it narrowed down to a single/set of breakers, you can figure out what device is the issue by unplugging them.

If you don't find success with that method, you can use a signal meter to locate areas that have higher noise/signal suckers.  IMO, if you have a serious X10 system, you need a signal meter.  I'd fully advocate for the XTBM as I have one and it's great.  But, there are other options that may be available (used on ebay).  Jeff makes the XTBM and is very responsive with questions.  He even loans/rents one out if you don't want to buy it.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.