Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 Lights suddenly come on/off - Broadband/other intereference??  (Read 2832 times)

plusman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I have had an X10 system installed for some years now that control a set of 6 ceiling lights. Each of the mains lights are linked to an X10 dimmable controller (an LD11 DIN module mounted on a DIN rail in a cupboard; one for each of the 6 lights). Originally I controlled the lights remotely via a TM13U X10 RF receiver, though this has not been used for some years, and is no longer plugged into the system. Currently each of the 6 lights are manually controlled (turned on/off or dimmed) using a momentary push button switch, on a wall plate, that is linked to each of the LD11 modules.

Over the past 6 months or so some of the lights randomly turn on or off, usually late at night, and I am trying to figure out why. It is not always the same light (so it is not linked to only one of the LD11 modules).

Can anybody suggest what might be causing the problem?

For information I am based in the UK. I do not have an electrical smart meter installed, though I do use both wifi and a homeplug system for distributing broadband around the house - however the wifi router and homeplugs that I am using predate the issue I am having with the lights.

Could it be a problem with aging of the LD11 modules (they are about 10 years old now); my broadband causing interference; or some new electrical spiking of the mains supply?Or something else??

Any suggestions as to how I can determine the source of the issue and rectify it would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: X10 Lights suddenly come on/off - Broadband/other intereference??
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 06:18:02 AM »

Are all the LD11 modules on the same X10 Address?
Are standard incandescent type bulbs being controlled?
Any chance a new neighbor just started using X10?

Though some of the information in Jeff's Troubleshooting Tutorials relate to our Split Single Phase power here. It maybe helpful to you.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

plusman

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 06:23:55 AM »

Thanks for the quick reply.

No all of the lights have different addresses - each LD11 module is different address - though all 6 modules are connected to the same DIN rail.

The lighting is all mains GU10 halogen bulbs, and has been since it was installed. 

I think it very unlikely that any close neighbours have started using X10.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 06:43:51 AM »

I downloaded the LD11 module information and will see if I can find out anything more.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 06:48:23 AM »

...or some new electrical spiking of the mains supply?
In a FAQ that disappeared with the bankruptcy of X10 in the USA, they said spikes could affect their modules without describing the mechanism. I suspect it is because of the brownout module in the PICs they use. However, I do not know whether your devices use PICs. Also, when users here experience this, it is almost always a mysterious On or Off but not both.

Do you have ring mains?
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

plusman

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 07:04:58 AM »

Yes. It is a standard UK mains electricity ring mains.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 08:06:53 AM »

That might complicate troubleshooting. For those unfamiliar with ring mains...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_circuit

One usual suspect is a motor (furnace or AC blower) causing spikes on the lines when it starts.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

plusman

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 08:35:07 AM »

Many thanks for the comments and links.

I don't think it is related to any motor coming on as it didn't occur when the heating starts/stops.

Also I don't understand why it has only recently started giving problems after many years of good service.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 08:49:00 AM »

Also I don't understand why it has only recently started giving problems after many years of good service.

That might point to an external source like a neighbor's furnace blower, noisy CFL/LED, or some activity that is putting spikes on the distribution lines. IIRC, many residences in Europe share one distribution transformer whereas there are usually only 4-6 residences per transformer in the USA.

Also, Europe limits PLC signal strength to 2.5Vpp - much lower than in the USA where there is no limit for the 120kHz carrier used for X10.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 11:26:52 AM »

I do use both wifi and a homeplug system for distributing broadband around the house - however the wifi router and homeplugs that I am using predate the issue I am having with the lights.

While Homeplug uses PLC frequencies that are well above X10's 120kHz, it may be that one of the units has a failing power supply that occasionally causes spikes. Can you unplug one at a time to see whether the problem persists or not? Or is the problem too infrequent to troubleshoot in that way?

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.