Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 28

Author Topic: Automation with Alexa  (Read 103548 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Automation with Alexa
« Reply #360 on: January 12, 2019, 05:42:30 PM »

Mid-life crisis...………..

I would guess it was his infatuation with sitting up day and night..... listening into homes with Echo devices around the world. Wife's don't like that kind'a stuff (they just don't understand Home Automation  rofl).

Or realistically... more likely his wife was the business brains behind Amazon. And she's dividing up the accesses to put a stop to the move to NYC. I think most people see that move as the beginning of the end for Amazon. Akin to the Sears Tower move for Sears and Roebuck.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #361 on: January 14, 2019, 10:28:51 PM »

And now.... drum roll please..... Alexa for windows 10. Available at the windows app store (it's free)  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/alexa/9n12z3cctcnz?cid=A4PCLP10&rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab

HA Dave

« Reply #362 on: January 16, 2019, 10:18:04 AM »

Alexa ain't no AHP Pro yet.... but it keeps getting better.

Now, into the 2019 "Home Automation Season"... (the time between holidays and spring mowing)…. I am exploring new ways and things to automate. I have a mental list of new stuff including the X10 Pi-Hub, and more geo-fencing. Plus I'd like to find use's for geo-location (which might be easier if I had an employer).

Of course.... as part of the reimagination of my setup I am always looking to dump more of the work off on the cloud. I mean... why should I care for and feed a processor driven program if I don't have to? It's not like it's a dog or something! Home Automation will never love me back.

So looking at the new Alexa app upgrade... I actually was actively looking for a way to add a timer. And found the "wait" icon (see below). That's it. So I removed/replaced my last remaining CM15A Macro, Called "Bedtime". The Bedtime Macro turned on a small low wattage lamp (along with all other lights I'd normally shut off), and delayed for a period before shutting off. The delay gives me time to walk to the bedroom.

I still have a CM15A working as an interface off a Homeseer Hometroller. But, the PC programmed (2nd) CM15A.... is now off-line.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #363 on: January 16, 2019, 01:03:13 PM »

A warning for those of you who rely on the cloud:

ROGUE AI Alexa DOWN – Amazon helper stopped working, ‘ignored users’ and wouldn’t turn off.

What did Alexa users have to say?

One user on Twitter wrote: "Anybody else's Alexa ignoring them this morning?

"It played my local radio station after a while, but won't do anything else. Just ignoring me. Won't even turn off."

Another Brit complained: "Anyone else got a problem with Alexa this morning? Refusing to talk to me, just a spinny blue light and then goes off."

On Down Detector, a user complained that he couldn't control his smart home: "Won't turn up the heating, and is thinking long and hard about whether to turn lights on or off."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/8205649/alexa-down-not-working-amazon/

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

HA Dave

« Reply #364 on: January 16, 2019, 05:10:40 PM »

A warning for those of you who rely on the cloud:
ROGUE AI Alexa DOWN – Amazon helper stopped working, ‘ignored users’ and wouldn’t turn off.

OMG!

That's hilarious. Thank you for sharing the SUN news link. Americas National Inquirer just doesn't spin the news yarns like the Brit [digital] newspapers do. I had a great laugh.

At this point... AI "is" Home Automation. And the people who still fear it are part of an ever shrinking group.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #365 on: January 17, 2019, 02:26:12 AM »

Just because one doesn't embrace the "cloud" as the be all, end all venue for HA doesn't mean that one is afraid of it.  I use the "cloud" for lots of things, Alexa control being my favorite. But I use it as an access point to my Stargate which I control and program how I see fit.  I had an Alexa skill for the MyQ "cloud" based garage door controller - till Chamberlain/Liftmaster put the kybosh on it without notice.  Someone in the "cloud" arbitrarily changed the rules. No problem - I programmed my Stagate to control the garage doors and use my PiAlexaHub so I can still use the "cloud" for control but the controller remains within my domain.  I store a lot of stuff in the cloud but also have it all backed up right here on HDD's.  So if a cloud based provider accidently dumps my files (as has happened) I have them right here.

HA Dave

« Reply #366 on: January 17, 2019, 08:30:21 AM »

Just because one doesn't embrace the "cloud" as the be all, end all venue for HA doesn't mean that one is afraid of it.

It's impossible to define something by saying what it's NOT. Future shock, fear of the unknown, resistance to change.... all these things are well known and fully understood. I know some people can't get past the negative connotation to the word "fear"... but it is the correct word.

I use the "cloud" for lots of things, Alexa control being my favorite. But I use it as an access point to my Stargate which I control and program how I see fit.  I had an Alexa skill for the MyQ "cloud" based garage door controller ………………...

Yep. In the olden days..... Mom kept a grocery bag full of receipts (for tax purposes) and a shoe box full of photographs. For mature adults... "data management" is a relatively new word. But in the modern world.... where like it or not, is where we all live (with.... the "cloud" as the be all, end all)… data management is an important part of day-to-day adulting.

The Internet isn't a fade. The technological revolution changed things a few years ago. And my saying (or posting) so... didn't make it happen. Nor will any number of denials make it UN-happen.

I saw a clapper for sale at the drug store the other day. It's a new design this year. The clapper is Home Automation too. I think we all accept that there are different levels of automation. I don't think X10 has to be reduced to clapper status.

I think we need to embrace the newest technology available for the benefit of X10, and X10 users everywhere.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #367 on: January 17, 2019, 10:34:16 AM »

Just because one doesn't embrace the "cloud" as the be all, end all venue for HA doesn't mean that one is afraid of it. 

I'm not "afraid" of it.  A year ago with Tuicemen's help I did get Alexa working with X10.  And it was pretty neat to just yell out to turn something on or off.  But after the novelty wore off we were back using conveniently located PalmPads like we had for decades.  It is faster to just reach over and press a little white button.  Alexa has become mostly a music source for us using free Pandora.

My point was that "relying" on the cloud can be dangerous.  An example is the fellow who could not get his heat turned on while Alexa was down.

Maybe after designing highly reliable systems during my career I expect the same level of reliability for my home.

Jeff

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #368 on: January 17, 2019, 11:03:55 AM »

My point was that "relying" on the cloud can be dangerous.  An example is the fellow who could not get his heat turned on while Alexa was down.
Anyone totally relying on the cloud for important functions like heat is living life dangerously.
Some people enjoy living life dangerously and that's great but don't complain when it comes back and hits you in the face.
The internet is full of stories of users being totally lost when a cloud service they solely depended on goes down and these are not just Alexa releated.
I preferer not to live life dangerously, this doesn't mean I don't use and enjoy cloud based services, I just don't depend on them totally. I may be fearful of things but change is not one of those the cloud just isn't reliable enough for me to fully embrace. Maybe someday it will be but I doubt I'll it will be in my life time.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #369 on: January 17, 2019, 01:41:23 PM »

I find the cloud is a very convenient supplement to much we do in daily life. Accent on supplement. I use it, enjoy it, but can live happily, albeit somewhat inconvenienced, without it.  When hurricane Irma hit here in 2017 those without generators had no power and internet was only accessible via mobile for some.  Those stores that opened were cash only because their POS terminals were dark. Within the confines of our property it was business as usual with full power, HVAC & lighting automation (sans Alexa) and OTA TV.  I bank online but still keep the latest hard copies of monthly banking/financial statements because it's the ONLY evidence I have of what's in my accounts and that those accounts even exist.  I have no hesitation in using the cloud - just in relying on it.

HA Dave

« Reply #370 on: January 17, 2019, 11:05:06 PM »

My point was that "relying" on the cloud can be dangerous.

Anyone totally relying on the cloud for important functions like heat is living life dangerously.

We Americans must just love danger. As our entire grid is cloud based. Wait.... didn't Jeff used to live in America?

………... I may be fearful of things but change is not one of those the cloud just isn't reliable enough for me to fully embrace. Maybe someday it will be but I doubt I'll it will be in my life time.

Oh come on. You guys keep cycling through your same old paradigm fears. Afraid of servers.... as you post on-line.... ON A SERVER. My electric (and gas) distribution, my phones (hardwired and mobile), my Broadband, and cable TV, thermostat control, alarm, garage door.... and yes even the little AI devices and associated programs that control a lot of stuff here (and everywhere).... are ALL based on cloud appliances, servers, and software. Just exactly like it was supposed to be in the future (a couple decades ago).

This is.... (like it, hate, fear it).... life in the modern world. I didn't make it that way. And covering your eyes and pretending not to see it won't make it go away.

I am NOT trying to push anyone into current technology stuff. And I am so sorry so many have so much trouble embracing the current state of tech. But let's just stop posting these silly fears. It reflects poorly on X10 users. Computers work, the Internet works, the cloud works. Everything breaks, dies, vanishes, whatever. Nothing is invulnerable... except for Superman (when no kryptonite is around). 

But even if real fearful cloud dangers did exist...… MILLIONS of new Home Automation users are embracing it. I'd like to post to, and for, those NEW Home Automation users who found out about this stuff and would like to have it in their homes too. After all.... isn't that in part what this forum is for?   

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #371 on: January 18, 2019, 01:11:19 AM »

As our entire grid is cloud based. Wait.... didn't Jeff used to live in America?

Yes, and that is a concern I have.  For short term interruptions we have a 2200VA pure sinewave UPS on 4 KWH worth of batteries powering the critical electronics circuit and some lights.  An emergency switch panel can also route that power to the refrigerator, freezer, or furnace.  On more than one occasion we were watching TV and had no idea power was off.  A generator is available for longer term outages.  And for an extended interruption - days or weeks - we have a bank of solar cells to provide enough for refrigeration and limited lighting.  Like the cloud, the grid provides convenience.

Jeff

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #372 on: January 18, 2019, 08:12:09 AM »

But even if real fearful cloud dangers did exist...… MILLIONS of new Home Automation users are embracing it. I'd like to post to, and for, those NEW Home Automation users who found out about this stuff and would like to have it in their homes too. After all.... isn't that in part what this forum is for?
Having and posting about ones concerns does nothing to intimidated new users from using new things (Home Automation).
 Debating the pros and cons of anything doesn't mean either side is fearful.
Posting about having backups for just incase situations is being informative and not about trying to discourage users from embracing a new tech.
 The forum is for sharing info not for attacking who is concerned (afraid) of what!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #373 on: January 18, 2019, 11:21:59 AM »

I don't get how making a conscious decision to protect one's interests is a negative thing or an attack on someone else's approach.  HA Dave likes the cloud and relies on it for his HA...great!  Others have stated they prefer to have things performed locally without requiring network access or relying on someone else maintaining servers in a way that keeps things status quo...awesome!  The power grid has network control to make sure things stay up and running to some degree (maybe this is a cloud, I don't know)...that's cool too!

If one person has a need to guarantee no power interruptions (e.g., medical device) and decides that they need a whole house backup generator, that doesn't mean that they think the cloud is evil (since the grid has some cloud capabilities).  It simply means they have a specific need that applies to them and they are addressing it.  Another person doesn't have that need and should have no reason to claim the first person is against the cloud because they decide to remain self sufficient.  But hey, whatever...

>!

HA Dave

« Reply #374 on: January 19, 2019, 07:08:57 AM »

The forum is for sharing info not for attacking who is concerned (afraid) of what!
 >!

Fear.... is as much a part of the human condition as breathing. Rarely do we address any of the more-or-less cerebral aspects of Home Automation. And obviously for good reasons. I've attacked no one. But fear of flying saucers, Big Foot, rouge bits of code, and the internet.... whereas viable, and for many very real... has little or nothing to do with Home Automation. 

Internet exposure absolutely DOES expose people to fractionally tiny bits of risk. But in my home... I am the adult supervision. I am not particularly concerned.

P.S. This is pretty much how ALL the pro-modern Home Automation posts are deliberately destroyed. With the "we aren't afraid... dangers are real" stuff.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 07:11:01 AM by HA Dave »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 28

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.