Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28

Author Topic: Automation with Alexa  (Read 103300 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Automation with Alexa
« Reply #390 on: May 16, 2019, 10:53:36 AM »

Echo guard is the latest feature.......
Looks realy like a must have
 >!

YES. A simple little server-software addition. But one that functionally expands and/or doubles some my security alarm protections.... at no cost to me.

Of course. As I've said for YEARS... alarms don't prevent fires and thief. Alarms just warn us. But still nice stuff... and early warnings are the best way to avoid walking into a break-in.... in progress
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #391 on: June 12, 2019, 11:18:41 PM »

..... Of course. As I've said for YEARS... alarms don't prevent fires and thief. Alarms just warn us.

I've installed and am using the new Alexa "Guard" or "Smart Alert". And I now wonder if this wonderful little device might not be able to at lease prevent fires (with it's smoke detection) or even burglary's with it's glass breakage detection. 

I set the alarm before I leave the house.... as I tell Alexa "I am leaving". Then every echo-Alexa device in the house (I have 5) listens for an alarm or breaking glass. If anything happens Alexa will let my phone know. Even just disarming the Alexa Smart Alert (telling Alexa I am home)..... causes a notification to my phone.

Since my Alarm also works with Alexa (I have to say a password).... no key fob, or button pushing on a panel is required.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #392 on: June 13, 2019, 11:00:09 AM »

That's pretty cool.  I mean, since she's listening all the time anyway, she might as well be helpful!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #393 on: June 13, 2019, 11:43:30 AM »

That's pretty cool.  I mean, since she's listening all the time anyway, she might as well be helpful!

Who knows. With her level of AI she might even play this tune too https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JhvjTcPRYy4

HA Dave

« Reply #394 on: June 14, 2019, 08:19:31 PM »

She? I am pretty sure Jeff Bezos identify's as a HE. And I am sure he listens to all of the millions and millions of those units HIMself. Otherwise.... the programmers at Amazon would have to develop (what every technical mind on the planet calls) that AI stuff. And the consensus around here is.... that just ain't so.  ;D   rofl

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #395 on: June 16, 2019, 06:33:52 PM »

And I am sure he listens to all of the millions and millions of those units HIMself.
Yes, this is correct. Now you understand. Prior to this acknowledgement,  I thought you were a denier. Welcome aboard!
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #396 on: June 16, 2019, 11:40:09 PM »

......I thought you were a denier.

NEVER a stink'in denier! I am a believer..... in the AI technology. Because I was here... as processors got faster.... and faster. And programs got bigger and more cleaver. I never had to accept that had happened..... because I watched as it came to fruition.

Ned Ludd may have been histories first... or at least the first recorded (and iconic) leader of his namesake Luddites. But his army sized battalions of followers are reinforced every generation. Maybe... those that drag down society's technological progress are genetically predisposed to have negative feelings about progress. I don't know. But, I've lived with voice controlled automation for well over a decade. It's not magic, scary, or creepy, to me.... and I don't think there are "people" at the other end of the wires. It's good home automation.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 11:42:18 PM by HA Dave »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #397 on: June 17, 2019, 12:35:44 PM »

Are you suggesting that BVC was AI as well because there was a voice who spoke to you?  Alexa (a female voice) has only been around for a few years (November 2014 initial release).  Since Amazon released the first and only smart HA controller, that industry has only been around for ~5 years which is not quite a decade.  I don't think BVC would be considered AI and it certainly wasn't connected to Amazon/Google/MS servers to record your commands for posterity.  With local control and user decisions on how/where the recorded actions are used there's certainly nothing "magic, scary, or creepy" involved.

HA Dave

« Reply #398 on: June 19, 2019, 10:51:38 PM »

Are you suggesting that BVC was AI as well .....

No. But NOT "because there was a voice who spoke". I have never once suggested such a silly thing. I don't know why you would post such a silly idea.... I REALLY don't.

BVC was a sweet and simple program... that exploited a larger MS program. But it wasn't AI.... because the international experts all agreed that SAPI5 was NOT AI. Period. It doesn't matter what You, me, Bill himself..... or some random poll thought was, or is, AI.

We can all have opinions.... every human has opinions. But few have expert opinions. The experts are all calling Alexa AI. So... consider yourself the "greater expert" if you wish.... if your ego is that hungry.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #399 on: June 20, 2019, 10:55:44 AM »

Your post speaking about AI also said you have been using voice control for over a decade and that we shouldn't consider AI "magic, scary, or creepy".  I was simply pointing out that if you are linking the two together with the goal of saying voice control is not "magic, scary, or creepy" then you are saying current tech (Alexa) is simply voice control OR that BVC was AI.  If that wasn't the case, then the "magic, scary, or creepy" statement makes no sense.

If I rode a bicycle for 5 years and then a motorcycle for the next 5 I could say I have ridden for a decade.  But, it would not be true to say as a blanket statement that I have 10 years experience with riding when referring to motorcycles.  They both have 2 wheels and you can be killed on either however, one is a bit different than the other.

HA Dave

« Reply #400 on: June 22, 2019, 12:43:16 AM »

........ then you are saying current tech (Alexa) is simply voice control OR that BVC was AI.  If that wasn't the case, then the "magic, scary, or creepy" statement makes no sense.

If I rode a bicycle for 5 years and then a motorcycle for the next 5 I could say I have ridden for a decade.  But, it would not be true to say as a blanket statement that I have 10 years experience ..........

I've been driving and riding..... for over half a century. And whereas many deaths occur with both.... I'd say both are also relatively safe. And I'd feel comfortable saying the experiences of each and both (riding and driving) cross-over at some points. 

Many people that reject "talking devices" which CAN include AI but are NOT inclusive of ONLY AI.... find the experience creepy. The tortured logic you try to use to confuse similar issues of different technologies makes no sense.

AI is (and has always been) the logical progression of the industrial revolution. And... of course.... whether it was old Need Ludd himself... or one of the millions of clones that followed in his footsteps the Luddite movement has remained with us. The Luddites cause recessions, depressions, poverty, and conflicts. Luddites have historically kept the living standards and general welfare of people low. There is NO benefit to be a drag on progress.   

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #401 on: June 25, 2019, 11:29:20 AM »

I find it fascinating that Alexa is able to be so useful that she can read you a book on Ned Ludd when you asked her about "Need Luddites".  I searched Google and it wasn't able to come up with any results until I gave him the correct spelling of the guys name.  Using Google, I also had to read the article myself whereas Alexa would have done that for me.  I guess I have been wrong this whole time and Alexa's AI is truly top notch!

HA Dave

« Reply #402 on: June 26, 2019, 10:08:02 PM »

I find it fascinating that Alexa is able to be so useful that she can read you a book on Ned Ludd ...... I searched Google and it wasn't able to come up with any results until I gave him the correct spelling of the guys name.  Using Google, I also had to read the article myself  I guess I have been wrong this whole time and Alexa's AI is truly top notch!

I was under the impression (from reading and one demo) that Google had the "smarter, more knowledgeable) AI device. Amazon... maybe because of it's history with book sales... has allowed book reading via my iphone.... long before Amazon had the Alexa product line.

There is a whole education in itself in the study of ole Ned Ludd. Mainly because it is more about the industrial age... and the human mind. Much more so than anything about an old time home weaver who (unsuccessfully) when to work at one of Europe's early factories. At that time when garments were so expensive... the poor literally wore rags or went naked in the streets. Ned saw a factory creating more than a [home weavers] lifetime of work... in a single shift.

Simultaneously.... devaluing Ned's mental image of his own self-worth, while increasing his wage, and elevating both his own and the living standards of all Europeans. It was too much change for Ned (and many others) to take. And it hasn't stopped yet.

The industrial revolution has been replaced by the technological revolution.... and the changes once again make men reevaluate the "worth" of what is new. And peoples resistance to change today.... has the same affect as did the original Luddite's (who were actually murderous thugs).

So as the world re-structures the modern work place(s)..... we will wait a generation for the wonders that we could easily have today. 

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #403 on: December 25, 2019, 07:35:18 PM »

So my echo flex arrived Sunday  and I quickly plugged it in and got it connected.
  First thing my wife noticed was the sound. "Alexa's voice is different !"she said.
 Not getting this for the sound quality I stated the reason was the speaker. This unit is a bit smaller then a dot and given the unit plugs directly into an outlet that is impressive. The sound quality is comparible to the quality of the first transistor radios. Some old timers may like the memories that congers up. I didn't get neither of the two optional USB addons as i plan to use this in my office possibly powering the PiX10Hub Pi Zero w. However I already am contemplating getting another with the motion sensor addaptor or night light. To bad you can't add both to the Flex. :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #404 on: December 26, 2019, 09:07:56 AM »

So my echo flex arrived Sunday........
.......I already am contemplating getting......

Different Home Automation items here.... but exact same feelings. My Home Automation "presents" were satisfying and also ushered-in the Home Automation Season (Ho, Ho, Ho). I am thrilled that once my wife saw the grandkids accepting and embracing Alex control... she did as well.

I added a "wired" Ring floodlight (with the USB powered Wifi router). Which notifies me via a Echo device OR phone notice. There are also battery powered motion sensors, lights, cameras (offered by Ring) that work the same, as well. Gave me back the voice alerts I've missed since switching from PC based-BVC.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 09:09:33 AM by HA Dave »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.