Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28

Author Topic: Automation with Alexa  (Read 103279 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: Automation with Alexa
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2017, 01:28:23 PM »

This doesn't do RF but I suspect I can add a 310MHz RF transmitter to it. One big drawback is it's size - it will be easy to lose.
http://www.banggood.com/Broadlink-Black-Bean-Smart-Home-Wifi-Remote-IR-Controller-Universal-Appliances-Smart-Control-p-1049494.html

Broadlink has other interesting devices. This WiFi controlled outlet/timer/nightlight is FCC & UL approved.
http://www.banggood.com/BroadLink-SP3-SPcc-Contros-Mini-WiFi-Smart-Home-Socket-Timing-Switch-Plug-Timer-Wireless-Remote-Controller-p-1033142.html?rmmds=detail-top-buytogether

This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2017, 02:01:18 PM »

This doesn't do RF but I suspect I can add a 310MHz RF transmitter to it. One big drawback is it's size - it will be easy to lose.
http://www.banggood.com/Broadlink-Black-Bean-Smart-Home-Wifi-Remote-IR-Controller-Universal-Appliances-Smart-Control-p-1049494.html
I looked at the Black Bean but also thought it would easily get misplaced.
Also I have other RF devices which would be cool to control with the  Broadlink RM2 and Alexa.
Being able to get rid of all the remotes sitting around will increase my WAF ( that can never be to high rofl)

Broadlink has other interesting devices. This WiFi controlled outlet/timer/nightlight is FCC & UL approved.
http://www.banggood.com/BroadLink-SP3-SPcc-Contros-Mini-WiFi-Smart-Home-Socket-Timing-Switch-Plug-Timer-Wireless-Remote-Controller-p-1033142.html?rmmds=detail-top-buytogether
I had noticed those as well but I have other HA stuff (not just x10)  laying around now that aren't in use. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2017, 02:51:13 PM »

The pictures of the Black Bean internals shows what sure looks like an ESP8266 based WiFi board. I wonder if they are also using it for Infrared.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2017, 05:21:40 PM »

I just read a sad bit of info about Alexa skills.
Not only is Amazon charging to use the development platform (which is one reason I decided not to got that route)
It seems Amazon is also charging users that create these a charge for "data transfers". >*<
Depending on how popular a skill becomes the more the developer would be charged.  :o
The amount doesn't sound like much but why charge for something that is already making you money? ??? :o
This may mean some of these popular skills developed may soon be removed unless a company is backing them. :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2017, 05:55:46 PM »

I don't see where any of these useful skills, be they hobbyist, utilities or any others make Amazon money. As someone said, the sole purpose of Alexa is to have people order stuff from Amazon. They'll allow anything that gets someone to order from Amazon. And I imagine some skill that doesn't net Amazon any income, will fall back to the developer. In that case, the developer is going to have to sell the skill for a small amount. My 2¢.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2017, 07:23:58 PM »

Part of the agreement in the developers skills agreement is you not charge for the Skill.
A skill doesn't directly make Amazon money, true, but if it gets someone to buy something from Amazon then Amazon has made something from that no mater how small. Your Alexa app or alexa.amazon.com advertises different skills every week they then charge the developer data transfer fees that they helped to feed so they are making indirect money from skills even if it is just pennies.
No wonder good programmers and developers are hard to find. ???
They are getting nickel and dimmed to death.  ::)
If I'm going to make something and give it away for free I don't expect to be charged anything for giving it away.
Amazon does offer a T shirt for a submission (this month it is a hoody) If someone were to ask "where did you get that I want one?" and I say Amazon Guess what my skill just got Amazon a T shirt sale too  rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2017, 08:07:23 PM »

..... Your Alexa app or alexa.amazon.com advertises different skills every week they then charge the developer data transfer fees that they helped to feed so they are making indirect money from skills even if it is just pennies.

I'd guess Amazon is being careful [that] skills don't sell the same products that Amazon itself sells (see image below).

If I'm going to make something and give it away for free I don't expect to be charged anything for giving it away.

Back... in-the-day... we'd get free samples in the mail (snail mail). I am pretty sure the sample providers also paid postage.

Think free sample for an item/service (often a game) that can be purchased in a full version for use on a phone as a paid (often renewable with fees). I have both purchased and fee apps I use on my phone. as far as Amazon idea of fees.....
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2017, 09:45:53 AM »

Back... in-the-day... we'd get free samples in the mail (snail mail). I am pretty sure the sample providers also paid postage.
I'm sure they did but the skills aren't samples, the small time developer isn't making a cent from these.
Amazon is asking for these to make their product better but charging developers for the privilege.
I have no problem with them charging for hosting skills which a company is profiting from it, but the little guy that just made a skill to check your mail?
Actually it isn't the hosting part that bothers me because that part is disclosed. What irks me is charging per user that uses the skill
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 10:00:16 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

racerfern

« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2017, 10:25:38 AM »

So the little guy pays a price for being a hobbyist, or that person needs to have a business model that they can use the skill to showcase their other talents/products. Perhaps even impress Amazon enough to have Amazon invest in this hobbyist, or any other company for that matter.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 121
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2017, 01:45:33 PM »

How do you prevent this?
https://www.slashgear.com/tv-news-mentions-alexa-ordering-a-dollhouse-echo-speakers-begin-doing-the-same-08470822/?google_editors_picks=true

Or how about radio or TV commercials tailored to cause Alexa to order their products?  I can see the UPS trucks now...

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2017, 01:50:06 PM »

How do you prevent this?
https://www.slashgear.com/tv-news-mentions-alexa-ordering-a-dollhouse-echo-speakers-begin-doing-the-same-08470822/?google_editors_picks=true

Or how about radio or TV commercials tailored to cause Alexa to order their products?  I can see the UPS trucks now...

Jeff
rofl
I guess you can go into Amazon and edit your credit card info so it is wrong.
Then correct it prior to actually ordering. ???
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2017, 06:05:28 PM »

How do you prevent this?

Enter account settings and disable 1-click setting(s).
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2017, 06:44:27 PM »

How do you prevent this?
Enter account settings and disable 1-click setting(s).
As I neither have nor will ever have Alexa/Dot/Whatever I cannot verify this. Can you explain just how this addresses the issue?

racerfern

« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2017, 08:13:27 PM »

1-click settings (which I have always had disabled) allows you to click on an item and that's it. Ordered, shipped, delivered. Otherwise it ends up in your cart and at some point you have to checkout. So at least you get to review your cart and decide if all the cr*p that's in your cart is what you really want (forget need).

This is all cute. Can we get back to resurrecting X10? No? OK, let the cute discussions continue.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 08:15:08 PM by racerfern »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.