Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 28

Author Topic: Automation with Alexa  (Read 103578 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Automation with Alexa
« Reply #195 on: May 14, 2017, 08:16:51 AM »

I see Amazon has announced a video screen version for Echo called Show. I think they are aiming at Skype.
The Amazon App has an update which apparently allows one to place a phone call or call an Alexa device from another one, perhaps this is to work out bugs prior to the Show being released.
From what I've read the option isn't ready for prime time and appears to have lots of bugs.
Unfortunately this seems to be only available in the USA currently.
I've read it could be used as an intercom of sorts however I think each device would be required to be registered to a different user account.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #196 on: May 14, 2017, 12:41:51 PM »

I've read it could be used as an intercom of sorts however I think each device would be required to be registered to a different user account.

I like the intercom concept! I hope that works out.... a great reason all-by-itself to own another/more echo/dot/Alexa. 
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #197 on: May 14, 2017, 02:05:12 PM »

I like the intercom concept as well.
Even the voice messaging or SMS sounds cool, making phone calls not so much.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #198 on: May 24, 2017, 02:24:59 PM »

This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

« Reply #199 on: May 24, 2017, 03:26:07 PM »

What do you think of this?
https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/23/alexa-dont-talk-to-strangers/

Completely true. Even "Alexa" said on TV... or a name that sounds similar can put my DOT into listening mode.

My garage door (a Chamberlain) is Internet connected and remotely controlled with an app on my phone.... and it is Alexa/DOT/Amazon compatible (can be voice controlled). I have chosen NOT to link my door to Alexa. It doesn't automatically enable... a skill must be activated/turned-on. Although I do know a family that has linked their garage door with their Echo... with NO problems... I wouldn't do that myself.

I've also chosen to turn off (that is currently the default) function that allows voice-Amazon-purchases. As far as Internet searches.... those have all been monitored in America... for years now. Alexa should not alter not personal stats. 

I guess someone could always shout into an open window.... and cause my smart home to turn a light on or off. But then my home is also monitored by cameras... so the activity should be recorded.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #200 on: May 24, 2017, 09:10:16 PM »

Like Dave there are things I will not allow Alexa to do.
And since Alexa records all commands it hears there is a record of attempts .
That coupled with video like Dave has it could be used for prosecution.
I also use the Alexa silent time and the device hide from Alexa option (available with HA-Bridge)

For those looking for the Alexa voice recordings they can be found in the history of the Alexa app ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #201 on: May 25, 2017, 09:50:37 PM »

.... And since Alexa records all commands it hears there is a record of attempts .
That coupled with video like Dave has it could be used for prosecution.

Don't do the crime... if you can't do the time.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:55:59 PM by HA Dave »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #202 on: May 30, 2017, 09:06:06 AM »

Here's something that might be of interest since it can be controlled by Alexa.
https://www.amazon.com/Wowfeel-Multi-function-Switch-Outlets-Extendable/dp/B06Y2PQ9N3/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1496149460&sr=8-29&keywords=amazon+power+strip
It would be more useful if you could control the outlets individually.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #203 on: May 30, 2017, 11:42:06 AM »

That is cool!  As is, it's pretty sweet to be able to turn on anything connected remotely.  If they broke it out to control all 6 outlets independently though...   -:)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #204 on: May 30, 2017, 11:58:08 AM »

If Authinx was with it they would design lamp & appliance modules controllable via iOS, Android, Alexa, etc. It gets away from powerline issues and is the best thing going until I perfect telekinetic control.

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #205 on: May 30, 2017, 03:45:03 PM »

I've pretty much drifted away from X10 and gone to z-wave. Five individually controllable outlets from z-wave and/or Alexa.

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/collections/zooz/products/zooz-z-wave-plus-power-strip-zen20

HA Dave

« Reply #206 on: May 30, 2017, 04:57:25 PM »

I've pretty much drifted away from X10 and gone to z-wave......

I am thrilled with your old Hometroller!

I think... guess... might be a better word. That the old single brand Automated Home might be a thing from the past. There as so MANY different brands/flavors of Home Automation devices.... why limit our setups to just one brand. Even the idea of what automation is (or does)... seems to be up for grabs.

I really think we are well on our way to the virtual companion. 

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #207 on: May 30, 2017, 05:18:53 PM »

If Authinx was with it they would design lamp & appliance modules controllable via iOS, Android, Alexa, etc.
If Authinx was with it, they would get the WiFi module on the market. Apparently they have not thought far enough ahead to realize the WiFi module would stimulate their bread and butter sales of PLC modules and wall switches.   >*<
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #208 on: May 30, 2017, 06:53:33 PM »

If Authinx was with it, they would get the WiFi module on the market. Apparently they have not thought far enough ahead to realize the WiFi module would stimulate their bread and butter sales of PLC modules and wall switches.   >*<

IMHO.... the CM15A is heads and shoulders above any other [sensibly] priced HA product.

If Authinx was to update the CM15A into a wifi HUB that could also communicate/work with several of the other brands/flavors of HA products maybe even add IR control (along with the old tech X10 modules).... they could then profit from the worlds smartest (and most compatible) HUB. Then update the X10 modules over time (call the new modules X10.2). Everyone would win! (except maybe the competition). 

Most of my X10 setup is currently controlled by a (racerfern's old) Zwave Hometroller (merely a raspberry pi unit with software/firmware and a server/cloud connection) using a CM15A as a "plug-in". Of course.... that forces me to use a 2nd CM15A connected to a PC as well.

But my X10 is flawlessly controlled from anywhere in the world on my phone... or through my Alexa (via voice command). And my macros still function perfectly as well.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 07:03:27 PM by HA Dave »

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #209 on: May 30, 2017, 08:07:43 PM »

IMHO.... the CM15A is heads and shoulders above any other [sensibly] priced HA product.

I agree, however how many years has it been since there hasn't been official software support? Instead we need to rely on tuicemen coming up with whatever combination he can to make various plug-ins work. It's a joke and we're the brunt of the punch line. Authinx has the audacity to offer a new CM15A without software to run it. I guess there is a sucker born every minute.

This could all be resolved in a month if the powers that be really wanted to button up the loose ends. The story of the servers that couldn't be accessed is old and tired. Any one of a number of people that participate in this forum could probably have straightened out this mess.

For reasons beyond me, Authinx doesn't seem to have any interest in fixing anything, never mind moving forward with new exciting products. We're being strung along...

Although my X10 usage is shrinking, I would gladly resurrect some devices if they could function properly through all the noise generators, LEDs, etc. But I'm not going to be the guinea pig this time 'round.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 28

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.