Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 28

Author Topic: Automation with Alexa  (Read 103558 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Automation with Alexa
« Reply #210 on: May 30, 2017, 09:42:41 PM »

.... how many years has it been since there hasn't been official software support? ... It's a joke and we're the brunt of the punch line. Authinx has the audacity to offer a new CM15A without software to run it. ....

This could all be resolved in a month if the powers that be really wanted to button up the loose ends....... Any one of a number of people that participate in this forum could probably have straightened out this mess.

For reasons beyond me, Authinx doesn't seem to have any interest in fixing anything, never mind moving forward with new exciting products. We're being strung along...

You're absolutely correct!

As much as I have rant and raved about the Luddites of the world refusing to step forward and embrace new technologies. As much as I have berated those whos refusal to accept modern technologies.... I've blamed for holding back our nations economic progress. I have allowed my own emotional attachment to this (my original HA technology).... to color my thoughts about what might be

True... Authinx could throw some money, manpower, and creativity at this... and being small and unencumbered by the bureaucracy that plagues large corporations.... could make a virtual companion that could be highly desired cross-platform. The same product could have a simple Wi-Fi OFF switch.... which might pacify those who don't wish to use the Internet for automation.   

But Authinx won't! They won't do anything. Maybe they'll just sell off the remaining warehouse of X10 stuff bought for penny's on the dollar. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 09:45:22 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #211 on: May 31, 2017, 06:18:36 AM »

This thread is getting way off topic:

Authinx hasn't introduced a new cm15 this is the same unit x10 WTI sold. One reason it is still being sold is I convinced the owner that there were users still wishing it and I had got around the software registration issue.
You may remember it on their site as out of stock when I asked about that I was told the fact was they had plenty but no software. The wifi module fiasco has held up any possible work on a new cm15

As for them doing nothing!
Thought it may look like it, that isn't the case. Several modules have been improved and reintroduced.
A band aid solution some of you may say but it is something.
They could have ignored users issues like x10 WTI but haven't
I asked about the old two way modules recently and the reason X10 stopped these was a law suit over a patent which Leviton supposedly held. If that patent has expired we may see a return of those.

Lets get back to the topic Automation with Alexa and stop bashing Authinx.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #212 on: May 31, 2017, 11:07:48 AM »

The WS469 looks like a really nice improvement.  I haven't had any of my WS467's fail or else I would have bought one or two.  If they removed the ramp on startup, I'd probably replace all of my WS467's.  If they made it with a switch like the ToggleLinc and it was more affordable than those, I'd definitely be in!

The CM15A is a great product that others have figured out how to use.  If that hadn't happened, X10 would not be used today IMO.  The fact that other HA software can utilize this great piece of hardware makes utilizing X10 a no brainer IMO.  The components are cheap and relatively reliable and are already installed in many cases.  The WiFi stuff is great, but I see no reason to retrofit as long as my CM15A links to the same HA software that I control other systems with.  >*<

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #213 on: May 31, 2017, 01:20:41 PM »

WS467 is a dimmer type X10 module. Is a two wire X10 module. Steals power through the load.

WS469 is an On/Off relay X10 module. Just On and Off.
It does not steal power through the load and needs a Neutral power connection in the switch box.
Similar to a ToggleLinc On/Off relay model.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 01:23:41 PM by Brian H »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #214 on: June 01, 2017, 10:50:25 AM »

Right, and it works with LED/CFL/etc.  I know it's not identical, but the older version of the relay module was a decora style which didn't work for me.  This one uses the quiet relays and is the same small push button style.  It's not ideal like the ToggleLinc in look, but it's better than the big pad IMO.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #215 on: June 10, 2017, 10:51:54 AM »

Here's a market for Alexa and other voice activated devices that I hadn't considered.
https://www.amazon.com/p/feature/arn39fp3k67f8ft?pf_rd_p=c96bfc3e-e239-45a3-8938-9304225e0e00&pf_rd_r=KZWJ9446Q53XGD0ZDKHA
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

m82a1pa

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #216 on: June 10, 2017, 11:53:53 AM »

When/if the X10 people release the wireless CM15A I'm curious how they'll get it to connect to AHP which expects a USB connection.  Seeings how they don't have any/most of the original source code.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #217 on: June 10, 2017, 06:46:58 PM »

The new wi-fi module isn't a new cm15 (not a PC interface) and won't use AHP( it was never intended to ).
It will have its own software which will be onboard.
Triggering AHP timers & macros is already possible via Wi-Fi so this should still be possible if a PC interface is connected. It is to have more memory then the cm15 so it shouldn't need AHP timers or macros.

Since the new device will connect to ones network integrating it with Alexa should be a easy task and creating an Alexa skill should be easy for anyone wishing to create one.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

m82a1pa

« Reply #218 on: June 10, 2017, 08:21:18 PM »

I didn't know it'd come with new software.

How can AHP timers & macros be triggered on a CM15A via Wi-Fi?  Or are you talking about something else?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #219 on: June 11, 2017, 07:06:29 AM »

Alexa uses Wi-Fi which can talk to several different protocols as long as there is software or a bridge to interpret the signal. Since the cm15 will see any x10 signal, one sent from another device that is a macro trigger will fire the macro. AHP timers are in the cm15 and these are triggered by time changes.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

m82a1pa

« Reply #220 on: June 11, 2017, 12:11:14 PM »

Alexa uses Wi-Fi which can talk to several different protocols as long as there is software or a bridge to interpret the signal. Since the cm15 will see any x10 signal, one sent from another device that is a macro trigger will fire the macro. AHP timers are in the cm15 and these are triggered by time changes.

I guess that's where I'm confused.  My CM15A is connected to the PC running Alex10.  Alexa successfully controls the lights defined in HA-Bridge.  When the CM15A is connected, the lights work as they should.  When the CM15A is disconnected, nothing is controlled.

So, is there some wireless X10 device I can plug into the PC that will communicate to the CM15A?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #221 on: June 11, 2017, 12:40:24 PM »

You could use a cm19 plugged into your PC it would send x10 commands which the cm15 would see.
I've yet to test a cm17 ( fig newton firecracker)with Alex10 nor have I heard from anyone using one.
Currently there is no wi-fi x10 device which will work with Alex10.
There are other hubs that will send x10 signals which the cm15 would see, no PC required.
I think a Zwave hub is one that will do that.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

m82a1pa

« Reply #222 on: June 11, 2017, 01:00:39 PM »

I just ordered a CM19A.  We'll see how that works.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #223 on: June 11, 2017, 10:41:30 PM »

You could use a cm19 plugged into your PC it would send x10 commands which the cm15 would see.

I had used a similar setup with a tiny (ce) laptop to run the Melloware server program.... (with the Mellowware app on my phone). The CM19 wasn't more than 2-3 feet from my CM15A and it all worked great.

I was thinking of using the same laptop and CM19 to try the alexa10.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #224 on: June 12, 2017, 07:22:17 AM »

I know the CM19 works well with Alex10.
There were some issues with the SDK and the way it expected to see signals from the CM19 but those have been worked out.
You must tell Alex10 to use PLC even though the CM19 has no PLC capabilities ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 28

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.