Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28

Author Topic: Automation with Alexa  (Read 103528 times)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Automation with Alexa
« Reply #330 on: October 07, 2018, 05:30:31 PM »

There realy is only one cool add I see and that is the Hunches. Alexa watches for devices that are left on longer then normal so if you forget to turn someting off it will notify you.
Cool. Did not know about "Hunches". So does Alexa simply watch for a deviation from a routine which she learns?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #331 on: October 07, 2018, 06:16:34 PM »

Cool. Did not know about "Hunches". So does Alexa simply watch for a deviation from a routine which she learns?
Since this is a new option there is limited info on it.
I would assume it would be based of a learned routine but how many days it takes into account for the routine I don't know.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #332 on: October 13, 2018, 01:11:55 PM »

Stopped in Home Depot the other day (looking for new Halloween Decorations/ideas). For all those that thought that Home Automation products (and cloud based units) were waning in popularity or store interest. Not so at "the depot".

Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #333 on: October 18, 2018, 06:14:38 PM »

Cameras have always been a good part of any good HA setup. Even controlling them remotely is not new nor is controling them via voice or using them as an intercome.
Years ago when I got my first Foscam IP indoor cam I was using it as a way to talk to my wife from the cottage to the city. I could also control it via voice and PC software.

The video door bell some companies are now offering are just comerial marketing of things users did years ago.
If 3D printing was available back then  these things would be obsolete by now.
Funny how some tech developes at lightening speed and others are so slow to come of age.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #334 on: October 30, 2018, 10:01:04 PM »

Now the "new feature" is whispering. Alexa gets smarter almost by the week. The whisper feature... allows a user to whisper to Alexa... and she whispers back. And awesome late night feature.

Years ago... I had attached a SS13A Slimline Switch to the wall of my man-cave (then my home office). Now as I am moving more-and-more to the cloud based AI technology.... I am finding myself "removing" the old tech. Sometimes pulling wires or patching and painting.... my chronic laziness (Home Automation)… causes lots of extra work.

Spackling and preparing the wall for repainting after removing the SS13A Slimline Switch.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #335 on: October 31, 2018, 07:12:10 AM »

Now the "new feature" is whispering. Alexa gets smarter almost by the week. The whisper feature... allows a user to whisper to Alexa... and she whispers back. And awesome late night feature.
the only time I've had alexa wispper is when I ask her if she can whisper and I found her whisper creepy.
She does hear me whisper but does not respond in a whisper (yet) B:(
I hope your not pulling out to many wires just yet it is nice have a backup plan when wireless fails. It may only be for a few hours or mins but that could be at a critical time.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #336 on: October 31, 2018, 01:06:33 PM »

……. the only time I've had alexa wispper is when I ask her if she can whisper and I found her whisper creepy.

I hear that a lot. A form of automatonophobia...  loosely defined as the fear of wax figures, humanoid robots, audio-animatronics, etc. Only rarely does the fear become a full-blown phobia, but it is still relatively common to experience the creepiness you mention

I hope your not pulling out to many wires just yet it is nice have a backup plan when wireless fails. It may only be for a few hours or mins but that could be at a critical time.

I was a grown, adult, marred, man with a child.... before we ever had TV "wired in". Wireless... always seemed pretty reliable. And that seems to also be the direction we're heading with broadband too (in the USA). Actually... using the same RF band once used for TV broadcasts. Now I have 6 or 7 wired-in cable TV outlets.... and most people are streaming TV from their cable company provider's broadband. I will be disturbing RF digital TV from my own antenna through the same coax cable once used to deliver the signal to the cable box setting on/by the TV's.

Most people have given up the old "phone company" hard-wired phones too. But will it be years before builders stop installing phone plugs. I don't know?!

I remember (as a child) in the 1950's.... occasionally seeing a home with the old gas lights still protruding from the walls. I never saw one... in use.

It's hard to guess which wires.... belong... and which wires are redundant extras.

I can't imagine (as much as I Loved the old SAPI5 driven, BVC voice recognition automation)…. that I'll ever need/use wired in speakers again. Bluetooth has killed that old tech (except for uses like my Home Theater). But I did recently expand my CAT6 wiring to get faster streaming speeds (again for the theater).

Many of the homes in my area... have basement rooms once dedicated to storing coal for heating. Converted into bomb shelters in the early sixties, then safe rooms, now many are actual walk-in safes. None of this home stuff... is ever static. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 01:21:16 PM by HA Dave »

HA Dave

« Reply #337 on: November 01, 2018, 07:21:50 PM »

The new alarm I had ordered arrived.... so I pulled up (most) of the old X10 alarm.

Back in 2006.... X10 had a YouTube video contest. I joined YouTube, created and shared my X10 video... and won. The prize purchased my X10 alarm system. I found two of my three large sirens and one of my two small ones. Still more wires, parts and peices to find and remove.

I am sure there will be scraping, cleaning, hole patching and painting involved as well.

The new system talks to me, tells me when it arms and disarms. Can be used with old-fashion fobs (old guys should like that part), keypad, RFID, a phone app, OR... my favorite via Alexa. The great part is the WAF. The wife never did like the X10 alarm.

Some of my gathered parts and pieces.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #338 on: November 01, 2018, 08:15:44 PM »

So tell us what you got and how you like it.

HA Dave

« Reply #339 on: November 02, 2018, 08:59:57 AM »

So tell us what you got and how you like it.

I don't think I want to get too in depth with my selection on the forums.... as posts don't get lost in the traffic as they once did. But most modern systems I found on Amazon and elsewhere on-line.... just have so much more to offer now-a-days. I DID consider popularity when buying as apps are dependent on a products continued investment. I get "push" alerts on my phone as well as emails (also on my phone)… even a phone based siren (kind'a cool).

The alarm "talks".... (the wife loves that part). It even has a cellular (phone) and several hours of battery... built-in. I think this new alarm is one of the best buys I've made for my home automation setup since the new smart (MyQ) garage door opener.

Very few alarms integrate directly with X10 anymore.... but many make the connection via the Alexa app (once the X10 system is on-line through Alexa). Speaking of which.... I just PRE-ordered Alexa for my car.

Introducing Echo Auto - The first Echo for your car
by Amazon
List Price:
$49.99
Price:
$24.99
Free Shipping for Prime Members

Introductory offer: Save 50% for a limited time. By invitation only. Terms and conditions
You Save:
$25.00 (50%)
Pre-order available only by invitation

Connects to Alexa using your phone, is ready in seconds, and plays through your car speakers. Includes Echo Auto Dash Mount.
With eight microphones and far-field technology, Echo Auto can hear you over music, A/C, and road noise.
Use your voice to play music, check the news, open the garage door, find the nearest gas station, and more.
Play Audible books, stream podcasts, or listen to Amazon Music, Spotify, Sirius XM, or NPR.
Make calls, set reminders, add items to your shopping and to-do lists, or manage your calendar.
With over 50,000 skills and counting, Alexa is always getting smarter. Skills are like apps and let you do more with Alexa.
Set location-based routines—automated actions Alexa can start when you leave the office or get home.
Ask for directions and Alexa connects to supported apps like Google Maps, Apple Maps, or Waze on your phone.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 09:20:42 AM by HA Dave »

HA Dave

« Reply #340 on: November 02, 2018, 09:29:50 PM »

I went through my two plastic tubs of X10 parts today (I've been re-doing my man-cave). Now....  I wonder if I am developing a "hoarder tendency". But I did dispose of enough stuff to get down to just ONE big plastic tub of parts and pieces (although it is well packed).

My favorite finds.... of stuff I forgot I had... a VCR commander. That I am considering using to activate my Roomba. And I found a complete (software CD and serial to USB adapter included) Active Home.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #341 on: November 03, 2018, 10:12:55 AM »

I am considering using to activate my Roomba.
Roomba poopy. Neato go-o-o-d. <big grin>
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #342 on: December 08, 2018, 07:29:30 PM »

I've really missed my voice notification/anouncements so I started to create some which I can send to my Dot, here is a sample.
It's just my first attempt so it needs a bit of work. Rename the file to a wav extension before attempting to open
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #343 on: December 09, 2018, 05:32:31 AM »

Rename the file to a wav extension before attempting to open

I apparently don't know how to convert the file extension/types.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #344 on: December 09, 2018, 07:00:19 AM »

You don't have to convert any thing just rename the file from "GarageDoorWarning.wav.txt" to "GarageDoorWarning.wav"
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.