Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: Alex10 (x10 control with Amazon echo, dot or tap)  (Read 123437 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Alex10 (x10 control with Amazon echo, dot or tap)
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 09:56:58 AM »

I'd like to keep this as simple to use as possible.
Can this be made any simpler?
OK, I "think" I have HA Bridge installed. I love software designed by hard edged programmers but they should never write a user-friendly installation manual. THAT WAS PAINFUL!

I think that you should clarify the HA-Bridge install was not with Alex10 and probably not on Windows.
Or was just the setup of scripts (with out Alex10) painful?
Setting up HA-Bridge (prior to Alex10)  to trigger X10 commands with scripts was a pain.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 10:07:38 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2017, 11:56:02 AM »

The drama is with HA-Bridge. A number of conflicts with home genie have caused so much aggravation that I uninstalled everything including Java. What a disaster! I'm now back to homeseer and at some point will switch to Google Home instead of Alexa. Then maybe IFTTT.

FWIW, Alex-10 was a breeze to install, it's all the junk that leads up to it that irks me.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 12:02:37 PM »

FWIW, Alex-10 was a breeze to install, it's all the junk that leads up to it that irks me.
That's what I'm trying to discover (All the Junk).
My install of the HA Bridge was seamless but then I never had another server running on this PC.
However I have enabled others after the Bridge was installed.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2017, 01:29:11 PM »

From what I gather the fact that the HA-Bridge loads to port 80 by default is what causes most of the issues.
There are a lot of things that want to use port 80 and not just servers, these can make setting up the HA-bridge a pain.
Unless you knew what is running for sure on port 80 one would have a lot of
Junk
to got threw.

With that in mind I'm improving the initial setup.
Alex10 will auto write a habridge.config file when you enter the Alex10 setup page.
It will use the address of the PC you have alex10 installed on and the default port of 80.
Both these values will appear in the HA-Bridge Address settings.
You will be able to change both these values, in Alex10, editing the text boxes and pressing the change button.
When you start HA-bridge it will read the configuration file and use those settings.
if you plan to view the HA-Bridge web page you just need to type the correct IP and port values as the url .
However you never need to view the HA-Bridge now unless you wish to add scripts which Alex10 doesn't create. :)%
You also can change the HA-Bridge IP or port at any time afterwards as well however you'll need to stop the bridge and restart it before it uses the new settings.

I thought about adding the option to run this as a service however that would cause issues when/if you wished to add more x10 devices latter.
Instead I added the option to load on windows boot  so if you already have it setup with a shortcut in the start up folder you may wish to remove it and choose that option as it will load quicker.

These options will be in the next release which should be out by the end of the weekend unless someone has another suggestion to make setup simpler. Adding that may push back the next release. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 08:26:35 PM »

Ok new version is now available with a even simpler setup which I updated in the OP.
I also updated a screen shot of the setup page.
The start on boot option should work for all users of your PC but that I haven't tested as I only have one user for the PC.
However it is faster then adding a shortcut to the start up folder. ;)
 >!
Any suggestions for improvements are welcome.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2017, 11:46:33 PM »

Ok new version is now available

You should add links with these posts.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 07:10:59 AM »

I have supplied links to those wishing to help test and supply feed back!
Active testers that supply feed back are so hard to find.
I usually only get one of two users that actually provide any type of feed back.
Since this is a X10 Project I've decided to keep posting here in hopes of showing something active was being done and to help keep interest up.
 >!

I did send you links and if you have lost them (and still interested) you can find them again on my forum. ;)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 10:11:13 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2017, 04:15:58 PM »

I get daily PMs and emails requesting links from users that have never posted.
I'm looking for feed back to help improve this. If you've never posted what would make me think you'll supply feed back?
I have in the past sent links to users requesting via email or a PM that have never posted and I never received any feed back from them. :( B:(
For this reason I will no longer supply beta software links to someone who has never posted here or on my forum.
For those that wish to help test things in the future start posting and I'll consider you otherwise wait for the release.

As to when this release will be ::) :'
I'm hoping this week but with no positive or negative feed back who knows ???
Sorry to be so negative sounding, I'm just frustrated from the lack of input.
I guess it is my own fault, putting out updates to frequently. :-[

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2017, 09:52:41 PM »

I have supplied links to those wishing to help test and supply feed back!

Here is some feedback for the group:

Tuicemen was extremely helpful with my getting X10 working with Alexa.  Part of my problem was missing the plural "strings" in the links.  But then I was unable to get either ActiveHome Pro or the AHP SDK to recognize either a CM11A or XTB-232 connected to a laptop running Win7 Pro 64-bit through a USB adapter.  It must be the X10 driver because Home Control Assistant (HCA) works fine with any combination of the hardware.

I did eventually get it working by switching to a CM15A, rebooting, and starting AHP in the administrator mode.  After that Alexa recognized the commands and responded correctly.  The only flaw I see is the significant delay in the process.  Some people have complained about the half second delay in processing normal X10 commands.  Well working through Alexa it is more like 5 seconds.  Much of that is Alexa processing the command while the lights are circling around the Dot.

Overall, it's kind of neat adding verbal control of X10 devices not already covered in the Ocelot's schedule.

Jeff
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 09:54:36 PM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

cgordon64

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2017, 02:54:54 AM »

tuiemen can you please send me the link to the alex10 program thanks in advance? i am willing to give feedback have lots of x10 stuff i would definitly let you know how its working for me.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 03:16:37 AM by cgordon64 »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 09:11:51 AM »

Part of my problem was missing the plural "strings" in the links.
you were one of the early testers when most of the info needed to be manually entered.
Thanks to your emails it inspired me to make Alex10 do all the input required.
With the newer versions one no longer needs to open a web browser to check on the HA-Bridge or add X10 devices.

I did eventually get it working by switching to a CM15A, rebooting, and starting AHP in the administrator mode.  After that Alexa recognized the commands and responded correctly.  The only flaw I see is the significant delay in the process.  Some people have complained about the half second delay in processing normal X10 commands.  Well working through Alexa it is more like 5 seconds.  Much of that is Alexa processing the command while the lights are circling around the Dot.
The delay is something that may bother some here are some of the causes
1: the factor this is using cloud based Voice recognition. Your internet speed will affect things infact no connection means no control. :'(
2: If the PC running Alex10 is also using Wi-Fi will also affect speed of the process (thought I suspect it isn't much) a Ethernet connection is better ;)
3:If Alex10 isn't running  this will cause some delay as well, as it would need to open to process the commands.
This is why the option to load hidden was added, running that way does speed things up.

Links to this have been available on my forum since Dec 23rd for actively posting members to test.
There are a number of free Apps on my forum (not all X10 related) in the members only section.
I have submitted a build to Authinx for a release approval so I expect a release date shortly.
For this reason I'm not sending out links at this time. Sorry :-[
However the links to this (the Authinx build) are available on my forum in the members only section ;)
 >!

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

cgordon64

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2017, 10:25:31 AM »

when i try to login to your site it keeps saying that it is Your account is still awaiting admin approval can you please help me out thanks?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2017, 11:09:34 AM »

You need to be manually approved check your email junk folder as I believe I did send you an email. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 02:34:48 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2017, 06:00:07 PM »

Authinx has asked that a dedicated web page be created for this.
I guess that means a public release could be soon! :)%
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

cgordon64

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2017, 06:11:40 PM »

i cant get this to work:

i have pc fired up alex10 runs fine right after install no problems on windows vista..
the ha bridge is running fine.
have modules set in the configuration using alex10.
can discover with alexa.
alex10 shows the commands are being sent but no responce from the lights.
am i missing something?
what do i use rf or plc im am using a cm11a to control ws12a,lm465,rtm75,ws467 switches?
when i use activehome and pc commander all switches work fine but they wont work if i use alexa to control them.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:15:58 PM by cgordon64 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.