Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Harmony hub  (Read 8862 times)

gg4000

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
  • Been playing x-10 since Windows 3.0
    • GG4000.com
Harmony hub
« on: December 19, 2016, 11:38:01 AM »

Hello been a while...

I just picked up Echo dot and a Harmony hub Model? ($90)...
I have my IR543 working with the hub. I can turn on lights, and use all off along with nightlight on activity. I can't find a way to turn off each light individually. But can turn them on....
Is there a work around or am I missing something?

Thanks

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Harmony hub
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 11:55:52 AM »

You might try HA-Bridge from BWS systems it is suppose to work with most harmony hubs.
If that fails you could manually add devices. Alexa will see them with the find devices command.
If you have issues with creating scripts you can use Alex10
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

gg4000

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
  • Been playing x-10 since Windows 3.0
    • GG4000.com
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 12:20:49 PM »

You might try HA-Bridge from BWS systems it is suppose to work with most harmony hubs.
If that fails you could manually add devices. Alexa will see them with the find devices command.
If you have issues with creating scripts you can use Alex10

Thank you...
I will give it a try when I get home.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 09:14:01 PM »

I just picked up Echo dot and a Harmony hub Model? ($90)...
I have my IR543 working with the hub. I can turn on lights, and use all off along with nightlight on activity. I can't find a way to turn off each light individually. But can turn them on....
Is there a work around or am I missing something?

I hadn't realized I could use the harmony hub with the DOT!!! Thanks for sharing. I've used the Harmony hub in a Home Theater for someone else. I use a Harmony remote and IR543 in my Home Theater. Since I also use a CM15A.... my first thought is to create 16 new macros (triggered via the DOT/Harmony Hub/IR543/CM15A) a little Rube Goldberg-ish.... but a lot of control.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

solareclipse

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 02:12:43 PM »

Does the Harmony Hub send PLC signals directly or does it need to interface with the CM15A?

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 02:49:01 PM »

Does the Harmony Hub send PLC signals directly or does it need to interface with the CM15A?
The Harmony Hub has WiFi, Bluetooth and IR - it does not do PLC nor does it interface with the CM15A. You need an IR543 (IR to X10 PLC). It may or may not work with the IR543AH. I'm not sure what HA Dave is referring to re the CM15A perhaps the IR543-PLC will trigger CM15A macros.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 02:53:41 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 05:10:50 PM »

The Harmony Hub has WiFi, Bluetooth and IR - it does not do PLC nor does it interface with the CM15A. You need an IR543 (IR to X10 PLC). It may or may not work with the IR543AH. I'm not sure what HA Dave is referring to re the CM15A perhaps the IR543-PLC will trigger CM15A macros.
FWIW -
The Blumoo, universal remote for smartphone like the Hub, works with the IR543AH. I believe the Harmony Hub uses the same IR code library, so I suspect the Harmony Hub will work as well (I just purchased a Hub because Blumoo does not have the slightest idea when they will incorporate Alexa) but have not set up the Hub yet. So a conformation will follow.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 05:41:55 PM »

FWIW -
The Blumoo, universal remote for smartphone like the Hub, works with the IR543AH. I believe the Harmony Hub uses the same IR code library, so I suspect the Harmony Hub will work as well (I just purchased a Hub because Blumoo does not have the slightest idea when they will incorporate Alexa) but have not set up the Hub yet. So a conformation will follow.

If not, most of the European versions of the IR543 (IR7243, IR7243AH, IR7243W, IRRF7243) copied Laser's codes for the IR543AH so you might see if the Harmony supports them if necessary.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 06:50:15 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 09:46:48 PM »

FWIW -

If not, most of the European versions of the IR543 (IR7243, IR7243AH, IR7243W, IRRF7243) copied Laser's codes for the IR543AH so you might see if the Harmony supports them if necessary.
I should know something tomorrow, or at least by end of new years day. Otherwise, yes I will call Logitech. They actually give phone number which Blumoo contact was email only.

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 12:11:48 AM »

. I'm not sure what HA Dave is referring to re the CM15A perhaps the IR543-PLC will trigger CM15A macros.

Yep. We can do so much more with a macro than just a light on or off. I use the Logitech Harmony remote with my Theater... which sends the X10 IR signal to the IR543. The IR543 sends the PLC which the CM15A interprets as a macro trigger, to setup the lighting (and other actions).

My only concern.... after some serious thought... is how many voice commands are available. And I wonder if a call to tech-support might help find/explore/create all the choices.

I am a big fan of the Logitech Harmony remotes. I've used them in theater installs... and even have one on my living TV. I can also use my phone to control TV's, and streaming units (apple, and Roku). But the Logitech Harmony remotes are very well designed/made.

It was my Home Theater that got me to X10. I built the theater more than a decade ago.... and it has had several updates. But I've kept the old incandescence lighting in the theater. Because it works (and is X10 controlled)... and because the lighting gets so very little use. Converting to LED lighting would take more years to recover any saving..... than I have years left.

I am controlling some LED's elsewhere using SocketRockets and/or the "clicking" appliance modules. But there are also some parts of my X10 setup that uses Universal modules and the alarm modules (as well as sirens and chimes). That just wouldn't not be all that easy to rebuilt/replace with other HA products.

But that is where I am at. Trying to figure what part of my X10 I can control with Alexa...... or continue to control with alternate methods. And what I may want to modernize... now or later... to one of the (now) many flavors available.

I am truly enjoying the building, and rebuilding, of my setup.... in my imagination. I haven't worked out all my choices yet. And I am really enjoying reading of others progress. There are a lot of bright, imaginative, and knowledgeable people here at the X10 forum. Many.... although no longer with us... continue to educate and inform us from the record of their posts.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 12:32:43 AM by HA Dave »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 08:11:45 AM »

A look at the Alexa skill kit will reveal some of the voice commands available.
I don't think you need to worry about how many are available, as Alexa evolves I'm sure more will get added.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 09:53:39 AM »

A look at the Alexa skill kit will reveal some of the voice commands available.
I don't think you need to worry about how many are available, as Alexa evolves I'm sure more will get added.

I agree. And sooner or later X10.... or some else will include the X10 protocol to a hub.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 10:08:44 AM »

I believe some already do have X10 capability they just don't have an Amazon skill (yet).
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

solareclipse

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 10:33:26 AM »

But that is where I am at. Trying to figure what part of my X10 I can control with Alexa...... or continue to control with alternate methods. And what I may want to modernize... now or later... to one of the (now) many flavors available.

Exactly where I'm at, except with Google Home.  I'm up to 5 Hue bulbs now which are great, as they don't have the reliability issues of my X10 setup, but I have a lot of X10 devices still installed and a lot of multi-bulb fixtures, and 3/4 way switches I don't really want to get rid of [yet].  My goals are to:

1. Be able to control X10 via GH
2. Be able to build macros that incorporate both Hue and X10
3. Do all this without investing any more in X10 and without having to run a PC full time*

*Now I've come to learn that I can run Home-Assistant on my Synology NAS which might be a good option since that IS running all the time.  I'm just trying to understand what X10 controller I can use with this setup, as I've found very little info on whether I can get it to control my CM15a directly.  I do have a free USB port in my NAS.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 05:16:01 PM »

FWIW -
The Blumoo, universal remote for smartphone like the Hub, works with the IR543AH. I believe the Harmony Hub uses the same IR code library, so I suspect the Harmony Hub will work as well
I may be wrong in this assumption. So far I do not find any X10 addresses in the Harmony setup.
Apparently gg4000 found the X10 compatibility. gg are you out there?
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.