Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Timer Issue (revisited)  (Read 9446 times)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: Timer Issue (revisited)
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 09:37:37 AM »

As most of you know, X10 commands are sent as a series of signal bursts coupled to the powerline.  Presence of a burst signifies a logic "1", and absence a logic "0".  Noise near the X10 carrier frequency can fill in those blank frames, making it impossible for a receiving module to decode the command unless it includes some form of AGC to raise its detection threshold above the background noise level.  For an example, please read this report on a Cellet cellphone charger:

http://jvde.us/x10/x10_cellet_noise.pdf

Like Dave W said, a device that switches ON by X10, but ignores the X10 OFF command usually means that device is injecting noise onto the powerline, and preventing the switch from decoding the OFF command.

Without something to actually measure noise levels, it can be a frustrating trial and error process to identify noise generators.  Likely candidates are CFL and LED lights, small plug-in power modules, and major appliances with variable speed motors, such as washing machines and newer HVAC blowers.

Individual noise sources can be isolated with filters, such as the plug-in X10 XPPF or wire-in XPF to isolate an entire circuit.  We offer an Active Noise Reducer to reduce overall noise levels, but even that may not be sufficient if there is a powerful noise source near an X10 device.

We also offer (and even rent) X10 signal meters that can help track down noise sources and signal suckers.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Timer Issue (revisited)
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 10:05:00 AM »

Many of the noise makers signal suckers I found were not constant.
I've got one of those now I'm trying to track down.
Light would come on but not go off, then it would work again.
Plugged in my signal analyzer next to it and I haven't had an issue since B:( 
I guess it knows something is hunting it! rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.