Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Timer Issue (revisited)  (Read 9442 times)

merkelck

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Timer Issue (revisited)
« on: February 17, 2017, 03:07:59 PM »

My 10+ yr., trusty old X10 system has decided to try my resolve once again. This time it involves the lawn sprinklers. I run a smart macro that turns on the master power to the sprinkler system and then after a 20s delay it turns on zone 1, delays 25m, turns off zone 1, delays 20s, then turns on zone 2, delays 15m, turns off zone 2, delays 20s etc. etc. etc. until it turns off zone 6, delays 20s and then turns off the master power. System has worked fine for years. However, after getting things in shape for another season of operation, it has developed a mind of its own.
Now after the first zone comes on and water starts to flow, the Master power turns off exactly one minute after that zone came on. Of course that puts an end to the whole cycle.  There was an earlier thread regarding this strange one minute activity but while I tried everything mentioned in that that thread, nothing has cured the issue. I have powered down the CM15a, replaced the batteries, cleared the memory and reloaded the timers and macros several times with no change. I created a one zone macro with different delays and the same thing happens. Exactly one minute after the first zone comes on, the Master power shuts off.  I am using house code M and the zones are M1-M6. The master power is M10 and I have changed it several times. The macro itself is M11.
AHP is version3.318 and it and the macro plugin are all registered although I understand that doesn’t mean anything anymore. I am running this on a PC using win10pro auto updated. The sprinkler interface is the WGL Rain8 wireless unit. All the zones in that unit are set longer than the times I set in the macro. The Rain8 device has no control over the Master power switch. The Master power switch is a PAO11 receptacle.
Any and all ideas appreciated
KentM
When things seem to be going well, you have probably overlooked something.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Timer Issue (revisited)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 10:43:14 AM »

This is a FWIW suggestion as I don't use AHP any more. but I run in to similar situations with Homeseer which uses an Access database, and the database gets minor corruptions. I would redo the macro. Keep the same steps, since it worked before, just force a rewrite and resave. $0.02

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

merkelck

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 10:52:29 AM »

Thanks  I appreciate the comments. This thing has now gone to shutting off after only ten seconds of what appears to be a normal start up.  I am at the end of my rope on this and am trying to find my original software to start over. What made you move to Homeseer?  as opposed to others such as HCA . I just have too much invested in hardware (and I am just too damn old) to start over..
thanks for your time

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 11:17:03 AM »

AHP and Windows 10 don't perform well if AHP is installed in the default location under program files this is particularly true if your Windows is 64 bit.
Timers are just one of the many things I've seen go screwy.
Try moving your AHP folder out side of the program files folder.
I've moved mine directly to the root (C:\ActiveHome Pro) and this improved reliability for me.
No need to uninstall just cut and paste ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

merkelck

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 01:13:40 PM »

Thanks for your insight. This is what causes mass greying of the hair, if you have any left!!  This thing worked for so long without a hitch. But more than likely the constant updates from MS are the real causes of difficulty.
What I have done now is this. I downloaded the "unreg" version of AHP because I discovered that all I really had in my files were the installer programs and of course they can't find the servers any more. So I installed it in a different directory under program files that I named ActiveHome ProU. The install created a folder under that one called ActiveHome Pro. When I looked at that new directory, all the basic AHP files were there with a couple of sample .ahx files. When I ran the program, the thing opened up with the UI exactly the same as I had been using before including the macro that had been giving me all the trouble. So I just ran the macro and it worked perfectly!!! So I am assuming the "new" program looked in the original AHP folder and used the most recent .ahx file to run. Now that I look back at that computer, I notice that the original AHP has had a 1 added  (Activehome Pro1). I then checked to see if the desktop shortcut was pointing to the new folder and it was. So my next venture will be to follow your advice and move the latest folder to the root of the drive, copy only the most recent .ahx files into that folder and then try it again. If that does the job, I can delete the old folder.

I want to thank you taking the time to help me with this. I have always admired the effort that you and others, BrianH, JeffV have devoted to this system over the years. My hats off to all of you.
KentM

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 01:47:36 PM »

I hope that is what the issue was, please keep us updated as to if it starts to degrade again.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 07:53:56 PM »

This is why we need a new interface. I may still have some remote functionality in my home, but my automation is dead.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 09:48:50 PM »

This is why we need a new interface. I may still have some remote functionality in my home, but my automation is dead.

This is why I still have XP on a couple of systems.  Most of my applications run OK in Win7, but some need the compatibility mode.  And a couple will only run in the Win7 XP emulator.  No way I'm going to 10.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 08:47:56 AM »

+1
There is a tremendous amount of knowledge, ingenuity, and innovation found here at these forums. But we can't make great automation from bailing wire and duct tape either.

All we need is a simple wifi hub. Or even acceptance by another brand hub. And an up-to-date AHP app. But why do I even mention... the minimum of what it is we need. What ever happened to new, great, or even grand ideas?

This is why I still have XP on a couple of systems. 
Jeff

I gladly and energetically advocated the use of the dust collecting door-stops... meaning XP systems... a decade ago for use with BVC. And like yourself I am still using XP systems to run my automation. I also have "back-up" PC's. But I really want something a little more forward looking. Maybe... small profile PC, a tablet, or last years old smartphone might be helpful. But a smart interface/hub would really be the hardware solution. IMHO.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 09:08:12 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 03:06:37 PM »

What made you move to Homeseer?  as opposed to others such as HCA .
I went to Homeseer shortly after HS2 came out. AHP was having all sorts of problems, and X10 Wireless was having manufacturer problems as well as their own money problems and was slow to respond in fixing AHP problems. Homeseer 2.0 , although expensive, had voice control and text to speech capabilities, along with email, and media control. So I went with it figuring AHP would never get fixed.

I just upgraded to HS3. Which I said I would not do as Homeseer was know as nickel and dime one to death and originally the HS3 was a couple hundred bucks. Seems they have realized they were killing the golden goose. Now, telephone support, DNS service, HS Touch, Web Service Account (Alexa connection) etc.  is without cost. Who knows how long that will last.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 06:48:01 PM »

The hardware interface isn't the problem it is the software (Designed for Win 98).
Sure it got some tweaking for XP but each windows update messes with it if it is in the program files folder.
AHP is a 32 bit program and most users now are moving to 64 bit.
A new interface may help but not if we have to rely on outdated software to operate it. B:(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 09:56:11 PM »

I'm not convinced the problem is the migration to 64bit systems. I've had a far greater problem with noise on the line from various sources than with an ill-behaving software package.

Just a palmpad, a TM751 and a WS467 dimmer switch. Nothing else used and I can't turn off the lights from the palmpad. And yes, I tried multiple of each item. I can turn them on, but not off. No CM15A, no AHP, no windows to blame.

So far my Homeseer HS3 Zee S2 doesn't experience these issues. To be fair, there are numerous quirks to z-wave, but using the Homeseer events is very similar to macros from AHP so it's not that big a jump and I have yet to experience any radio interference issues even at triple the distance that my X10 used to struggle with.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 10:49:12 AM »

Just a palmpad, a TM751 and a WS467 dimmer switch. Nothing else used and I can't turn off the lights from the palmpad. I can turn them on, but not off. No CM15A, no AHP, no windows to blame.
That usually means, what ever you turned ON is a noise generator. Just a curious question: Do you know what the line voltage runs on the branch that runs to the WS467?

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 12:00:13 PM »

I didn't mean to hijack this thread, sorry. The voltage on the branch is usually 122.7, the same as the rest of the house.

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 05:17:11 AM »

I am beginning to have similar problems. There are some lights that I can control with ahpPhonePro and X10 commander and others only with palm pad. Some light only physically. Even the AHP running on XP PC, for years, can't turn on/off these devices. I see the devices turn on/off but no results. Macros only some of them work.
I haven't updated XP since MS stopped supporting it. Recently I added a new PC with windows 10. After lots of hard work by Tuicemen(thanks Mr. T ), was able to get Alexa to control lights, about 22 device,by voice. After few days some light don't respond even though Alexa says,"Ok", Funny thing is couple of devices right next each other and connected to the same wire and only one responds always and the other stopped recently. Both work with hand pad and one with X10 commander / AHP phonePro.
My setup has XTB PHase coupler and XTB 523 from JVD, CM15A with modified antenna and set to code,"L",AHP 3.318 registered windows XP Pro. Second PC with windows 10 home has the same setup except cm15a is set to "a" code and Alexa is installed along with AHP 3.318 running copy of .ahp file from XP PC. Both computers have X10 commander. I,of course, have to change codes on IPhone to use x10 commander.
For years I have been happy,rather proud to show of my HA controlled with BVC, IPhone,AHP PhonePro. Macros worked perfectly. Even used PCC. Played with ihouse too. But lately am getting disappointed with X10 AHP.

Would love to hear if any body else had such problems and if they found any solutions.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.