Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The cloud is down.  (Read 2608 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
The cloud is down.
« on: April 12, 2017, 04:02:26 PM »

Back in the "old days" we'd often hear someone at work holler... the email is down... or the World Wide Web is down. (Those were the days.) Today I got my very first/only email notice that the "cloud is down". (See image below).

We all knew it would happen sooner or later.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: The cloud is down.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 04:43:14 PM »

Looks like they were smart enough to plan for this and allow control from inside your network.
So many companies fail to see the need until afterwards, even thought there are reports of this happening to other companies.
Hopefully you got the email before you started to play with router settings attempting to fix the issue.
I've read stories of users rendering their whole setup useless until days after a companies cloud based software server was back up.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 10:27:20 PM »

Looks like they were smart enough to plan for this and allow control from inside your network...........
...... Hopefully you got the email before you started to play with router settings attempting to fix the issue.

I have multipliable ways to remotely control my ihome devices.... (besides the ihome app/cloud). Particularly the Wink hub, and the apple [home] app. And although I've never tried it.... I think... I could use the Alexa app on my phone.

From time-to-time.... I do find a reason to use my home control remotely... but not often. So much is programed into [things like] the CM15A, the house can take care of itself. But it was nice that they thought to notify their users 

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 06:50:49 PM »

Here's another from Lutron pointing the finger at Microsoft.

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 04:42:30 PM »

(((((BUS)))))
  Microsoft

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 11:44:33 AM »

Google cloudburst locks people out of their homes.

https://bit.ly/2JTGFzW

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 01:24:27 PM »

I saw a thread on Cocoontech that Google Mail was also down yesterday.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 06:25:10 PM »

Gads, I might have to use a (gasp) light switch.
Actually I should get Homeseer voice control running, so if a "cloudburst" (sorry brobin, but that is too good not to plagiarize) does happen I can still have local voice control. I just got lazy with Alexa.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 08:59:28 PM »

I know I'm generally paranoid (other people's words) that bad things happen when others control how data is used, so I guess I won't say anything else...   :'

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/billions-of-records-including-passwords-leaked-by-smart-home-vendor/

FWIW, I have not yet experienced a massive data breach resulting in loss of data from my locally controlled, network accessible HA system.  Well, I haven't asked the NSA if I have had a data breach, so AFAIK anyway.

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 10:29:41 PM »

..... I haven't asked the NSA if I have had a data breach, so AFAIK anyway.

I guarantee you.... the NSA has recorded every phone conversation you've been a part of. And tracked many/most/ or maybe all of your automotive travels. Your Internet usage (including forum posts), your medical uses (including prescriptions), television use.... EVERYTHING is monitored and recorded. Every living soul in North America is part of the data collection/mining.

Even my electric meter was replaced (nearly a decade ago) with a "smart" meter that can use the power-lines to "report" power usage. Interestingly my meter was the ONLY one in the neighborhood be replaced with the "new" meter. I always just assumed it was because I worked for the government.

The invasion of privacy is VERY REAL. But..... the time to worry about such things came and went YEARS ago.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 09:02:35 AM »

Gads, I might have to use a (gasp) light switch.
Actually I should get Homeseer voice control running, so if a "cloudburst" (sorry brobin, but that is too good not to plagiarize) does happen I can still have local voice control. I just got lazy with Alexa.
I've used it about a dozen times in the past 4-5 years.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 12:13:41 PM »

Yes, all of that stuff is in the open.  We all know that NSA records everything.  I specifically was referring to my HA system which I manage on my network and access from anywhere I choose.  Not that I store anything interesting on it, but to my knowledge the NSA hasn't decided to break in and backup my drive.  More online presence with accounts managed on Chinese servers results in more data vulnerability and eventual loss.  We all understand that you have thrown up your hands to worrying about it and are now a prophet for giving up all PI.  I personally choose to use things in the way I want and not extend my exposure by opting not to buy useless toys that don't really add anything to what I want to do.  To each their own.   >!

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 01:54:07 PM »

....... to my knowledge the NSA hasn't decided to break in and backup my drive.  More online presence with accounts managed on Chinese servers results in more data vulnerability and eventual loss.  We all understand that you have thrown up your hands to worrying about it and are now a prophet for giving up all PI. 

I see this on the news all the time anymore. It seems to be a generational belief.... that so many now think they can read other peoples minds. I am admittedly mystified.... not just by your misconception as to my thoughts.... but what makes you think you have to ability to know my thoughts.

But..... that/this current concept is the exact popular belief that humans can somehow "break the human algorithm". And understand the very thoughts and beliefs of mass human behavior.... and therefore control an entire population. It was the use of such government mind-control resources.... that allowed the previous administration the throw the election to Hillary Clinton. So.... we know it works flawlessly. Or.... it's a fools folly.

I have NOT: "thrown up my hands to worrying about it"(privacy issues) as you suggest. And I am NOT by any means anything like a "prophet".

Honestly I am just not prone to paranoia. I have never been a tin-hatter (or wearer of tin-foil hats) and the prospect of investing my time and efforts to such silliness doesn't appeal to me. I was a network administrator on one of the governments most secure networks before my retirement. I can generally tell a threat from click-bait. But I do understand that many can't. That must be concerning.

I love home automation! Have for many years. And I loved the old remote controlled lighting..... and everything in between.... right up to and including today's AI. Today's AI is better than the old days. And who knows what tomorrows Home Automation will bring?!?!? I seem to be the last of a bred of human that can neither read minds of see the future. But I wait for the new HA advancements....  with a sense of excitement!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.