Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bedtime Lights Off  (Read 16409 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Bedtime Lights Off
« on: April 21, 2017, 12:42:28 PM »

"Bedtime Lights" Off.... or would it be: Bedtime, lights off. It doesn't matter. As long as I say "Alexa" first... she hears it as: turn off all the lights in the room named Bedtime.

This is the first User-designed Working Macro... that also involves using a Amazon DOT with Alexa voice control. I am also mixing Home Automation device flavors. I am using a WiFi enabled Cree LED light Bulb in my table lamp (beside my easy-chair) It connects to Amazons servers and Alexa indirectly via a WINK hub. And the Macro controls a softstart X10 lamp module connected to a small lamp with two 15 watt incandescent bulbs. The X10 is controlled via Alexa through the homeseer network and a hometroller device, connect to a CM15A. 

For years I used that lamp in a macro to light-my-path at bedtime. When I somehow came across softstart modules... that improved the macro I used with it's soft dimming-to-out. When I added Alexa control over my table lamp.... voice commanding one light and then using the remote to trigger the bedtime macro... seemed more like a hassle than "automation".

This is the fix:

First (1.) get X10 running with Alexa. Tuicemen has a great emulator program that can accomplish this using your CM15A, and practically ANY windows PC. I am using racerfern's old HomeSeer Troller (device) to get my X10 to talk to Alexa (thanks racerfern).

2.  Create a macro using your CM15A. The macro is simple: create a trigger (I used a phantom appliance module) it triggers on OFF the macro turns the lamp (softstart) module ON. Then the macro delays for 3 minutes. Then turns the same lamp (softstart) module OFF. That's it... it's not complicated.

3.  Setup lights to be recognized by Alexa when discovery is run. I am not sure of all the processes used with the various ways to get X10 controlled by Alexa or google. With HomeSeer I simply entered the devices using the on-line form accessed via my laptop using the chrome browser (it's all cloud based). Then, of course run discovery. Just tell Alexa to do that.

4.  Then in your Alexa app (mine is on my iPhone)... configure a room.
Tap the little icon (top left) beside home.
Then in the list that appears... tap smarthome.
In your "groups" list... create a new room (I called mine "Bedtime Lights".
Then I opened the room and selected/checked my table lamp and the macro trigger phantom
....remember the trigger is OFF (to turn the light ON, delay, and then turn OFF).
Telling Alexa to turn the bedtime lights OFF... instructs Amazon to turn OFF every light/device in the room named bedtime. 

5.  Now at bedtime... I can simply turn the TV off (I still use a manually held remote for that) while I say:  Alexa, bedtime, lights OFF. Which turns off my table lamp (although several lights could be placed in the bedtime room). And turns my small lamp ON (by triggering the macro) for 3 minutes, while I shuffle to bed.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 12:07:31 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

Re: Bedtime Lights Off
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 11:32:32 PM »

A voice actived Exit light.

I just added a new macro... similar to the original (bedtime lights off) and thought I'd add the idea here as well.

As my wife and I was leaving for a holiday party the other night.... with grandkids in tow. I only then realized how inconvenient it was with the location of the light switch and the two steps to a landing and garage (person) entry door. I already have a on-line "robot"/macro that turns on lights when returning home... triggered by the (MyQ) garage door opener/wifi unit. But leaving in the dark... was completely manual... NO automation.

So... I made a room (named Exit Light) in my AHP setup, created a phantom/ghost/fake module... and light switch module (the light is already installed in the landings ceiling, with the X10 switch on the wall) assigning the switch it's proper house code. Then I created a simple macro with the fake module being the trigger. The macro then delays a sec, and turns on the ceiling light (already in the landing with an X10 switch). Then the macro delays 3 minutes, turn off the light, delays another 1 sec and turns off the fake module. Saved my work... and uploaded to the CM15A. (and of course copied the new AHP file to the flash drive that keeps such things)

In homeseer I setup a module named Exit Light. In my Amazon app... I setup a group called Exit. Ran discovery with Amazon (told Alexa to discover new devices). Then added the new device (the fake module) in Amazons new Exit group. Now I can add to that action later in needed/desired adding devices from a selection of protocols.

So now if/when we leave in this odd sunless time of year.... merely saying Alexa, exit light on.... lights the way out for three full minutes.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 11:41:56 PM by HA Dave »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 06:57:01 AM »

I've started to redo a lot of my macros now since Alexa came to live here rofl
I love the new routines which now have an Alexa says option (still not completely what I'd like to see but a start)
Your limited to what she can say but it adds a bit more friendliness over the simple "OK"
I use a bed time macro as well but use the routines in Alexa to trip my X10 devices and she says "Good nite sleep tight to me" at the end of the sequence. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 09:57:59 AM »

..... I love the new routines which now have an Alexa says option (still not completely what I'd like to see but a start)

It's just the beginning. After the holidays.... (with the new X10 interface and IR device)... I may have to completely recreate, rewrite, or edit all existing macros and routines. As well as... hopefully... find new AI HA options. The challenge is to allow myself to imagine... greater.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 10:05:18 AM »

It's just the beginning. After the holidays.... (with the new X10 interface and IR device)... I may have to completely recreate, rewrite, or edit all existing macros and routines. As well as... hopefully... find new AI HA options. The challenge is to allow myself to imagine... greater.
  rofl
I've been putting off some of my projects due to new things in the works from many manufacturers.
Hopefully we'll see more openness with different ones capable interfacing with each other.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.