Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: evrything worked before I moved......  (Read 2861 times)

blenderbender

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
evrything worked before I moved......
« on: May 02, 2017, 01:31:50 PM »

Recently moved into an older mobile home and tried installing some X-10 modules using an Insteon 2242-222 hub. Only a couple receptacles are responding so I dug through my box of X-10 goodies and found an XPCP Passive Coupler which I installed. Didn't make any difference, no other receptacles talking. Since I never had a problem at my old house and never needed a fix, I'm not certain what to do at this point. Any advice greatly appreciated..... Gary

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: evrything worked before I moved......
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 02:31:21 PM »

If the coupler is good, it may be a noise problem. If you had no problems in your old home, I would first look for CFL bulb or LED bulbs installed in the mobile home when you moved in.  After that I would look for a noisy switching power supply like a cell phone charger.
This link is a great instructional on electrical noise and ways to locate the source.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 02:48:43 PM »

Are you in a mobile home park?
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

blenderbender

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 03:30:18 PM »

If the coupler is good, it may be a noise problem. If you had no problems in your old home, I would first look for CFL bulb or LED bulbs installed in the mobile home when you moved in.  After that I would look for a noisy switching power supply like a cell phone charger.
This link is a great instructional on electrical noise and ways to locate the source.

Thanks.... I'll check out the link!

blenderbender

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 03:30:58 PM »

Are you in a mobile home park?
No.... not in a mobile home park.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 04:26:27 PM »

No.... not in a mobile home park.
OK. If you were, the noise source might be another mobile home. While it may still be an external source, that is less likely.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

blenderbender

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 05:33:42 PM »

Thanks.... I'll check out the link!
I read through some of this material and gotta admit much of it teases my wee brain and left me dazed and confused. I dug through my box full of X-10 goodies (many brand new never used as I either have no use for some of them or just don't understand their application) and came upon a brand new XPCR coupler repeater. Should I try this before moving forward? Would I need to remove the XPCP I just installed to no avail? Thanks again for your efforts!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 05:59:28 PM »

You did verify the XPCP was connected between the two incoming Lines and not two breakers on the same line?
The XPCP can only put what signal level is on one line back on the other line. Not counting noise and signal loss from the 2242-222 to the XPCP
The XPCR will resend a power line signal on the other line at higher strength and may get you more distance to modules.
I would remove the XPCP if you installed the XPCR.
I believe the HUB has a weaker power line signal than the X10 controllers have.

I would still say look for noise makers and signal suckers as part of you troubleshooting.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 06:01:43 PM by Brian H »

blenderbender

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 06:32:43 PM »

You did verify the XPCP was connected between the two incoming Lines and not two breakers on the same line?
The XPCP can only put what signal level is on one line back on the other line. Not counting noise and signal loss from the 2242-222 to the XPCP
The XPCR will resend a power line signal on the other line at higher strength and may get you more distance to modules.
I would remove the XPCP if you installed the XPCR.
I believe the HUB has a weaker power line signal than the X10 controllers have.

I would still say look for noise makers and signal suckers as part of you troubleshooting.
Absolutely confirmed that XPCP is installed correctly. I will remove that and install the XPCR and see what happens. As far as noise makers, I have lots of LED lights going on here. I assume if all the potential noise makers were turned off it would make for less noisy environment and assist troubleshooting? I will also grab my X-10 controller from the garage which is on a totally isolated circuit and see if that makes a difference relative to the Insteon hub I have in the trailer. Thanks Brian!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.