Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XPS4 Installation issue --Neutral?  (Read 1813 times)

patches

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
XPS4 Installation issue --Neutral?
« on: May 07, 2017, 02:28:15 PM »

Attempting to install an XPS4 to control a dock light in a back wired(no neutral) situation.  However; in the same 2 gang box is a switch for a porch light with a neutral, which I jumpered from.  Upon installation, it immediately tripped the GFI.  After fussing a bit, I think the problem is that the porch light comes from a 200 A. house panel, and the dock light is out of a 100A outside panel.  So the neutral terminates in a different panel than my dock light power.

Sound like I am SOL?  Or am I missing something else.  Any thoughts appreciated.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: XPS4 Installation issue --Neutral?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 03:02:16 PM »

Are you sure it is a Neutral?

If the White Wire is connected to one of the porch light switch's terminal. Along with a Black wire on the other terminal.
You have a switch loop.

Another indication of a switch loop would be a black piece of tape or black marker on the white wire that you think is a Neutral.

In a switch loop. The white wire {should have a black indicator on it} is actually the Line from the fixtures electrical box and the black is the load to the light.

If the white wire you used is in a bundle of white wires then it maybe a neutral but on the other breaker box. As you thought.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 03:05:33 PM by Brian H »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 03:38:03 PM »

Upon installation, it immediately tripped the GFI.  After fussing a bit, I think the problem is that the porch light comes from a 200 A. house panel, and the dock light is out of a 100A outside panel.  So the neutral terminates in a different panel than my dock light power.

Unless the neutral return goes back to the same GFI that sources power for the light, the GFI will see an imbalance and immediately trip.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

patches

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 04:25:20 PM »

Thanks Jeff,

That's what I thought the problem was.  Now I guess my next option is an XPFM in the panel box.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 04:27:23 PM by patches »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.