Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Car Detection  (Read 1805 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Car Detection
« on: May 08, 2017, 09:51:31 AM »

One of the hassles associated with my home... which also helped me along with using Home Automation products... has been my driveway. Something I hadn't considered when I bought the home was I couldn't easily see my driveway from inside the home.

Cameras and a motion detector quickly fixed that problem. But of course with every fix comes a new and different problem. The motion sensors always produced a fair amount of false triggers. It seemed unavoidable.

A couple weeks ago... after having a reinvigorated interest in HA I installed the Mighty Mule Wireless Driveway Alarm (FM231). It uses a heavy coil to detect moving metal like a car (although riding lawnmowers seem to be close enough too). I am very happy with this tool. Detection is 100% with no false alarms. Simple wireless battery install outside and plug-in (tiny) monitor inside.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Re: Car Detection
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 11:36:14 AM »

Nice! Is it tied into the X10 or z-wave system in any way?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 04:18:15 PM by racerfern »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 12:33:10 PM »

I looked at installing one of these and I believe the wireless monitor has an alarm and a relay.  You can use the relay with any system you want (like the X10 PSC01 powerflash module).  This will help with people driving in, but it won't help with walking visitors.  I don't know if that's an issue for you, but that's where I stopped because I wasn't sure if vehicle notification was sufficient or if I also wanted people detected.  That gets you back to the false triggers issue though.  I considered a small angle motion sensor aimed across the driveway but couldn't make up my mind what approach to take.  This device was/is on the top of my list especially since it can be driven by a small solar panel.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 04:28:51 PM »

Nice! Is it tied into the 10 or z-wave system in any way?

No... not now... and it might never be. (see below)
Determining which direction and/or automation to pursue has always been difficult for me. I find it easier to solve problems... than to creatively modernize. 

..... I believe the wireless monitor has an alarm and a relay.  You can use the relay with any system you want (like the X10 PSC01 powerflash module).

I also thought there was a relay too! But... apparently... not with the Mighty Mule. I think that might be the Chamberlain CWA2000.... which was also a consideration.

I could pop open the monitor and see if the is a way to create a relay. I feel confident there is as the alarm/monitor has a volume level adjustment.

This will help with people driving in, but it won't help with walking visitors.  I don't know if that's an issue for you, but that's where I stopped because I wasn't sure if vehicle notification was sufficient or if I also wanted people detected.....

Actually I also have people detection. Although isolated away from traffic. And I use a camera system as well....

I live in a nice area... so whereas security is always a normal concern... the driveway alarm was mostly for convenience sake. 
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.