Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help with suggestions for my application (Ext. Garage Lighting)  (Read 1934 times)

Afrowookie

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Hi all,

I am a newbie in this area of X10 products but they do intrigue me and am looking for the proper product(s) for my specific application.

Problem:

I have a detached garage with the Exterior set of lights that do not work and haven't since I moved into the house.  The wiring goes from the garage to my house where it is controlled by a simple light switch at the front entrance.  I have tried tracing wires and replacing switches/receptacles to no avail, the wires are all hidden in the walls/ceilings, and goes underground to the garage and cannot find the issue no matter what I try.  Basically there is no power going to these lights.

So instead of spending anymore of my time and money trying to fix this problem, I came upon these X10 products and I think it might solve my problem.

What I want to achieve:

Is to just have these ext garage lights working.  I think I can get power to these lights by connecting to an existing receptacle in the garage, however if I do this then the lights would continuously stay on.  I would like to get these lights to work but be able to control them from my house.

What can I do this with these products?  What do I need exactly to achieve my goal?  I have seen other wireless switches but a lot of them are wifi/bluetooth, I just want a straight up switch like application but controlled from the house.

Thanks.

BackAgain

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Help with suggestions for my application (Ext. Garage Lighting)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 05:35:21 AM »

If there is power to the outlets in the garage, there should be power to the lights.  It would be very unusual to have two different runs from the house to the garage.  But anything is possible, I guess.

X10 requires good electrical lines as it sends the control signals through the electrical system.  There are a few different modules that could go in the garage and trigger devices that could go in the house.

How much distance is there between the house and the garage?  X10 also has some wireless RF options, but the effective distance is limited.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 10:03:33 AM »

Problem:

I have a detached garage with the Exterior set of lights that do not work and haven't since I moved into the house. The wiring goes from the garage to my house where it is controlled by a simple light switch at the front entrance. 

I think you mean... the wiring goes from your house to the garage. Start your trace at the beginning. Which would be the electrical/fuse box. If you don't have the skills and equipment needed.... this might be an excellent time to call either an electrician... or your insurance agent. 
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 10:12:04 AM »

Maybe too simple.
You did verify the light bulbs are OK?

You may also want to see if the garage has a electrical subpanel in it where the lights are powered from.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:06:10 AM by Brian H »

Afrowookie

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 05:57:48 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I have already tried it all.  Next to calling the electrician and tearing down some walls/ceilings which I am not ready to do or want to spend the money on at the moment. I believe my only other option is going with the X10 solution.  And yes I did try the light bulbs.

I should be able to tap into the other receptacle next to it which is on the garage panel.

The distance from the lights to the where I want the light switch is approx 60 ft.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.