Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Damp/humid area switch  (Read 1903 times)

mgtr

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Damp/humid area switch
« on: June 02, 2017, 04:59:45 PM »

Over the years I have been unsuccessful in using appliance modules (of any type) outside.  I protect them from the rain, but I think the humidity gets to them after a year or so.  Is there a solution which I am not seeing?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Damp/humid area switch
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 07:27:21 PM »

Possibly. I attached the information on the module I was thinking about.

Black and Decker had a line of X10 compatible products. Made for them by X10WTI. The Freewire modules where X10 compatible. Their remotes and HUB where different. Modules where 100% X10 compatible.

The Freewire "FWLROD" is an outdoor module. Looks like a 1.5' extension cord with a black box in the middle. No external House or Unit Code dials. You programmed it like a LM15A Socket Rocket. Within 30 seconds of powering them up. If you sent some X10 commands on the House and Unit code you wanted in it. It would then be on that address.
It was sold as a Lamp Module. Though it clunks like an X10 appliance module and has Lamp wattage, Resistive Current and motor HP ratings. B&H called it a lamp only module for what reasons are beyond me.

I believe a search for FWLROD found some on eBay. I probably have some buried in the storage boxes myself.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 07:31:50 PM by Brian H »

mgtr

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 08:54:56 PM »

Wow, I didn't expect such quick and useful advice.  I will order a couple, and expect them to solve my problem.  They should certainly last longer than standard units.  Thanks a lot!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 12:12:46 AM »

.... The Freewire "FWLROD" is an outdoor module. Looks like a 1.5' extension cord with a black box in the middle. No external House or Unit Code dials.

You had mentioned those a decade or so ago... I think. I remember they were sale priced somewhere. I bought a pair. I still use them for holiday lights.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 06:08:03 AM »

When Black and Decker dropped the whole line and disposed of the remaining inventory.
Places like Smarthome had them fairly cheap.
Ocean State Job Lot. My local surplus stock store had them for I believe $5.99.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 12:41:49 AM »

IMO, I don't like the idea of installing a module outside as they have tried to kill me and my family in the past (I had a socket rocket incinertate internally).  I prefer to use super sockets or OutletLinc these days.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 01:21:24 PM »

I also bought myself a pair of the B&D modules years ago. I use one for my bug zapper, and the other for some temporary outdoor lights. Too bad B&D killed the line - I should ahve bought a few more at the time.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 04:37:31 PM »

Over the years I have been unsuccessful in using appliance modules (of any type) outside.  I protect them from the rain, but I think the humidity gets to them after a year or so.  Is there a solution which I am not seeing?
Maybe. I have lamp and appliance modules outside, but out of rain. They are enclosed in zip lock bags. So far they have worked for five years.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.