Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Which Raspberry PI are you using?  (Read 7618 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Which Raspberry PI are you using?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2018, 08:20:46 PM »

The reason for me trying the Zero W is to make a WM100 companion module this will be inside a CM15.
I hope to show Authinx how easy it is to add to an existing Cm15 and maybe convince them to produce something very simular.
Hopfully with an upgraded more powerfull CM15 hardware.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2018, 09:09:40 PM »

In processing power, the $10 Pi Zero W is probably equal, if not superior, to the MCU + ESP8266 used in the WM100, plus it also has Bluetooth.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:12:13 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2018, 01:32:12 PM »

I now have the Pi Zero W controlling X10 via the CM15 connected to it with HomeGenie-beta_1.1.r526  :)%
There is some tweaking to do but it does work.
This is using the full raspbian-stretch OS however the GUI is not loaded.
I believe that would be to taxing for the Zero W.  ::) :'
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2018, 02:02:23 PM »

I now have the Pi Zero W controlling X10 via the CM15 connected to it with HomeGenie-beta_1.1.r526  :)%
There is some tweaking to do but it does work.
This is using the full raspbian-stretch OS however the GUI is not loaded.
I believe that would be to taxing for the Zero W.  ::) :'
 >!

I'm glad to hear you got the CM15 working x10 HomeGenie. Did you end up using a GPIO header for USB. It would be interesting if you had a CM11 and connected directly to serial on the GPIO pins.

You'll be impressed with the scripting and scenes ability of X10 in Homegenie. There's quite a few pre written programs for X10 use on the old homegenie forum too that you might get use for.

Plenty of exploring to be done this weekend by the looks of it. When you've completed your experimenting you can show all the AHP users there is another way to do things.

Maybe Authinx should look long and hard at what you have discovered and maybe they might want to rethink the direction they should take their R&D in.

I've moved on from Homegenie a while back. You're next target should be Domoticz now that the Raspberry Pi/Linux has truly bitten.

Ps I've 15 Raspberry PI's on hand ranging from the original model up to the Raspberry Pi 3. The older ones have been assigned camera duties via MotionEyeOS. Motion detection and notification and working on facial recognition which is very interesting.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2018, 02:31:35 PM »

The Pi Zero W I ordered has no GPIO header though one could be added.
The Cm15 is plugged into the micro USB using an adaptor.
Sadly I don't have a CM11. I ran my X10 setup in the early years with a CM17 and the firecracker software.
When I was about to move to the CM11 the CM15 was introduced so I figured I'd go with the newest greatest.

I have been in contact with the Authinx owner explaining how I was planning on adding a Pi into the cm15.
I had previously suggested a WM100 Pi companion module which he pitched to the manufacture.(never heard the out come of that) That may still happen. The Pi in a CM15 is proof of concept and the Zero W is the board for that.
All my CM15As are with the old original style ciruit boards the newer ciruit boards may allow for a different size Pi style board with more power.

I plan to revisit installing HG on the 3B+ with a full raspbian-stretch as my first attempt I believe was flawed adding more then needed or the wrong drivers. Installing HG on the Zero was very simple.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2018, 03:02:28 PM »

Sadly I don't have a CM11. I ran my X10 setup in the early years with a CM17 and the firecracker software.
When I was about to move to the CM11 the CM15 was introduced so I figured I'd go with the newest greatest.

I have been in contact with the Authinx owner explaining how I was planning on adding a Pi into the cm15.
I had previously suggested a WM100 Pi companion module which he pitched to the manufacture.(never heard the out come of that) That may still happen. The Pi in a CM15 is proof of concept and the Zero W is the board for that.
All my CM15As are with the old original style ciruit boards the newer ciruit boards may allow for a different size Pi style board with more power.

I plan to revisit installing HG on the 3B+ with a full raspbian-stretch as my first attempt I believe was flawed adding more then needed or the wrong drivers. Installing HG on the Zero was very simple.

Yes once the euphoria of the Pi Zero and X10 has settled you should manage to get a full desktop version install of Homegenie on the PI3B+

With a fully open firmware approach the sky is the limit if Authinx put their mind to it. There's little point reinventing the wheel when it comes to circuitry. It's all available these days. It just requires a creative mind to apply it to every day applications.

I'm still quite partial to the CM11. Signalling seems a lot more efficient and response times are faster than my CM15. To be honest the RF side of the CM15 I found to be a bit flaky. If I really need RF I just plug in a transceiver.

Anyway great to hear you got your Pi-X10-Homegenie setup running. Looking forward to hearing what you achieve with it and what other bits you might add. >!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2018, 04:58:20 PM »

This might make more sense...
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Orange-Pi-2G-IOT-ARM-Cortex-A5-32bit-Support-ubuntu-linux-and-android-mini-PC-Beyond/1553371_32802458477.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.7c351f59Hp9NwV
It can run Android and you could create an app using B4A.  I can provide small, 4-pin, 310MHz RF receivers & transmitters (There's PICBasic code on my website for both - you can convert to B4A.) so there's no need for the CM15A.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 05:11:42 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2018, 05:14:04 PM »

Sadly I don't have a CM11. .......

Don't forget the old CM11 doesn't have a USB port... it uses a serial port connection.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2018, 05:41:01 PM »

You can run Android on a Pi as well.
Many plugins for Domoticz are created with B4J. Much of B4J could be converted to B4A very easily I've read, as well as the other way arround.
B4J is free B4A is not.

The Pi Zero W was just a cheap board I picked up hoping to get Authinx excited with how easy something could be put together.
I've not suggested they use a Pi Zero W board infact I would suggest they use something with more memory and a faster CPU.
There realy are so many board options out there now a days.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2018, 05:47:39 PM »

Many plugins for Domoticz are created with B4J. Much of B4J could be converted to B4A very easily I've read, as well as the other way arround.
B4J is free B4A is not........

Why not just run Domoticz on a Pi or Android tablet.... and use BT connectivity to run as a companion with the WM-100. (and then maybe use an addition of a CM19A for X10 RF)
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2018, 05:49:33 PM »

But not on the Zero.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2018, 06:44:57 PM »

But not on the Zero.
Maybe not (yet) but as I said I'm not suggesting the Zero be used for a companion module, this was just an inexpensive proof of concept.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.