Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: How I control X10 modules on Linux... (including Raspberry Pi)  (Read 31665 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: How I control X10 modules on Linux... (including Raspberry Pi)
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2018, 12:25:12 AM »

Have it working now had to load the Debian lite OS. :)%
I'll have to see if I can enable the desktop UI now.
 I need the WAF points after all this! rofl

Great news!!!!

I wouldn't load a desktop version of any software on the Raspberry Pi. Unnecessarily hogs valuable resources.

So instead of Raspbian Stretch Lite, you loaded Debian Stretch Lite. Once you have the server running you can log on locally via your web browser. I'm assuming it defaults to port 80. If not you can try 8081, 8082 etc.

As I said earlier for someone like yourself this will be a breeze. I did suggest to you a while back over on your own site that you should get stuck into the Raspberry Pi. Well you've finally done it so here's to hours of fun with your new challenge.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2018, 12:35:26 AM »

I wouldn't load a desktop version of any software on the Raspberry Pi. Unnecessarily hogs valuable resources.
The whole Idea behind this was to have a low powered streaming device which doubled as a HA machine.
The CPU never went over 50% and that was with HomeGenie, ha-bridge, mochad and the webbrowser open and streaming.
The 3b+ is very quick  and all I intend to use is HomeGenie, ha-bridge and a browser to stream.
No Programing (coding from it)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2018, 03:38:29 AM »

Have it working now .....

That's great news!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2018, 12:27:58 PM »

The whole Idea behind this was to have a low powered streaming device which doubled as a HA machine.
The CPU never went over 50% and that was with HomeGenie, ha-bridge, mochad and the webbrowser open and streaming.
The 3b+ is very quick  and all I intend to use is HomeGenie, ha-bridge and a browser to stream.
No Programing (coding from it)

Another convert  :)%

The X10 with all it's script possibilities and it's scenes and timers will make you wonder why you waited so long. Throw in a few IP cameras and using the Security Lights program with the ability to email you snapshots and you have a very able home security system for your off site location.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2018, 12:33:50 PM »

So instead of Raspbian Stretch Lite, you loaded Debian Stretch Lite. Once you have the server running you can log on locally via your web browser. I'm assuming it defaults to port 80. If not you can try 8081, 8082 etc.

It is Raspbain Stretch lite which HomeGenie loads and runs X10 fine.
It is also the last version created by original deveolper. Interestingly I did not have to install any extra files every thing was either already in the OS or included in the HG install.
The attempt to load a desktop UI failed as it would not go past the log on screen :(
Since this is not going to fill my needs I'll try another software. Using the 3B+ for just my HA at my off grid place is a waste of horse power.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2018, 02:52:52 PM »

........... Using the 3B+ for just my HA at my off grid place is a waste of horse power.

Horse power??? My God man... pony power would be an exaggeration. But thats too bad. I am sure you'll figure out ways to add other features to the Pi and consolidate more functions. Meanwhile... anyway I can get an image of what you've created?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2018, 04:18:39 PM »

The image will not work on a pi 3B sadly :(  However my Zero W arrived today so I believe images from it will work on older models.
Hopefully I can find some male micro to female regular size USB adaptors or even micro male to mini female. ::) :'
Looks like I'm going shopping  rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2018, 05:24:59 PM »

........... Using the 3B+ for just my HA at my off grid place is a waste of horse power.

Horse power??? My God man... pony power would be an exaggeration. But thats too bad.
Considering my thin client was single core atom 1.60 ghz 32 bit processor and this is 1.4GHz 64-bit quad-core processor, dual-band wireless LAN, Bluetooth 4.2/BLE so is more then pony power for just HA.

I ran AHP from Windows 98 on a 386 at one time and my AH needs were greater then. Remember we were doing Voice control with those machines. This thing will leave those it its dust.  >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2018, 05:31:31 PM »

I assume he installed Mochad because he was also looking at HA-Bridge.  HG has the XTEN library for interfacing with the CM15.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2018, 07:32:12 PM »

It is Raspbain Stretch lite which HomeGenie loads and runs X10 fine.
It is also the last version created by original deveolper. Interestingly I did not have to install any extra files every thing was either already in the OS or included in the HG install.
The attempt to load a desktop UI failed as it would not go past the log on screen :(
Since this is not going to fill my needs I'll try another software. Using the 3B+ for just my HA at my off grid place is a waste of horse power.

Would you actually need a GUI on a Raspberry Pi. If you really needed one just buy a Raspberry Pi 3, the previous model. All the images are known to fully work on it. Personally I never needed a GUI and Pixel the default GUI wouldn't exactly set the world on fire.

Now that you've got your hands dirty with the Raspberry Pi your next target is the Rock64. Four times the amount of memory, slightly faster CPU and USB 3.0 all in the same form factor. Plus you get to use a full Debian GUI (or any derivative of) Android and a couple of others comfortably and it still accommodates X10.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2018, 07:49:52 PM »

Would you actually need a GUI on a Raspberry Pi. If you really needed one just buy a Raspberry Pi 3, the previous model. All the images are known to fully work on it. Personally I never needed a GUI and Pixel the default GUI wouldn't exactly set the world on fire.
I personally don't need the GUI it is more for my wife so she can find things.
Is it possible to open a Browser from the CLI?
If so I could just leave a browser open and that may satisfy her needs.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2018, 07:50:28 PM »

I assume he installed Mochad because he was also looking at HA-Bridge.  HG has the XTEN library for interfacing with the CM15.

Looks like its all up and running. Now the real fun begins. :)%

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2018, 07:56:16 PM »

I personally don't need the GUI it is more for my wife so she can find things.
Is it possible to open a Browser from the CLI?
If so I could just leave a browser open and that may satisfy her needs.

Try installing Links. Have a read here http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/linux-command-line-browser-to-surf-internet or possibly a divorce  >!

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2018, 12:01:08 PM »

For the coders, geeks, nerds (whatever the preference) GUI is not necessary. For the other 95% of the population that want things easy and pretty to look at, a nice GUI is an absolute necessity. If not, we would still be using DRDOS, MSDOS, CP/M, FORTRAN... those were the days.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2018, 12:25:13 PM »

For the coders, geeks, nerds (whatever the preference) GUI is not necessary. For the other 95% of the population that want things easy and pretty to look at, a nice GUI is an absolute necessity. If not, we would still be using DRDOS, MSDOS, CP/M, FORTRAN... those were the days.
I agree with you 100%
Thats the main reason many took so long to even try Linux.
Much still has to be done from the CLI.
Many just want point and click control and set up.
A simple typo and the whole set up can get messed up.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.