Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The New WIFI Module is now available!
                   *****Here's the link******

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How I control X10 modules on Linux... (including Raspberry Pi)  (Read 2948 times)

petera

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: How I control X10 modules on Linux... (including Raspberry Pi)
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2018, 03:13:34 PM »

I'm continuing here from this message: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=30017.msg171189#msg171189

I am up and running with homegenie. I stopped after performing the sudo gdebi...

I'll see what other parts I need as I progress. Thank you @petera

Now you're motoring. The real work starts now. I reckon you might find HomeGenie very easy to configure. You should have all the tools you need to customise x10. Your x10 sensors along with your light and appliance modules and with the addition of an x10 sounder will form the basis of a full blown alarm system.

You can see the Alarm utility on the Dashboard. That's what you will be using. It includes some very useful program's you can customise for your own use. Now that you are up and running start a new post if you have any specific questions you need answering. Bkenobi is very familiar with Homegenie too.

All we have to do now is get HA Dave sorted out now.i imagine he will be jealous looking at that screenshot of Homegenie. Not unlike the AHP screen. :)%

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2018, 03:45:05 PM »

Actually, I'm not so sure about this. As soon as I installed HG, CPU usage went up to 80% minimum. That's not good.

petera

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2018, 09:59:10 PM »

Actually, I'm not so sure about this. As soon as I installed HG, CPU usage went up to 80% minimum. That's not good.

Don't worry about that for the moment. It will settle. As long as it does not crash.

bkenobi

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2018, 09:15:56 AM »

On my RPi1 the cpu usage is around 30% IIRC.  If it stays at 80%, I'd say that's a problem.  If the usage spiked when you started HG, you can try some things.

First, restart the service:
sudo service homegenie restart

Second, if that doesn't change anything, I'd probably try resetting the HG setup.  That can be done from the web interface under maintenance I believe.

Third, uninstall HG and check cpu usage.  If it's basically 0%, reinstall.  I forget the uninstall command at the moment so hopefully it won't come to that.

Finally, if nothing else works, you could try re-imaging.  I don't think that will be necessary, but if so I'd opt for starting with a new card rather than formatting.  That way, you can maybe do some sleuthing to determine the issue (if you care).

bkenobi

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2018, 09:21:26 AM »

Yeah... none of that means anything to me. I have a lot of learning to do. I think I need a class.

A basic Linux class might not hurt if you can find one.  But, I learned my basics of Linux by using it.  I'm not an expert, but after hacking around with TiVo's and other systems, I am now sufficiently secure with my skills that my job uses Linux all the time.  I'm still not an admin, but I get around just fine.

I'd recommend looking at each line and just googling the command that you want to understand.  "sudo" is a way to run a command that requires admin rights (runs as a super user).  "apt-get" is a utility that installs tools from Linux repositories.  "rpi-update" is a command that updates RPi specific applications similar to "update" which is for the generic Linux OS.  The commands were put together and ordered over time, so it's not expected that anyone would know what to run out of the blue...hence the installation instructions.   8)
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.