Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: How I control X10 modules on Linux... (including Raspberry Pi)  (Read 31666 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: How I control X10 modules on Linux... (including Raspberry Pi)
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2018, 03:13:34 PM »

I'm continuing here from this message: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=30017.msg171189#msg171189

I am up and running with homegenie. I stopped after performing the sudo gdebi...

I'll see what other parts I need as I progress. Thank you @petera

Now you're motoring. The real work starts now. I reckon you might find HomeGenie very easy to configure. You should have all the tools you need to customise x10. Your x10 sensors along with your light and appliance modules and with the addition of an x10 sounder will form the basis of a full blown alarm system.

You can see the Alarm utility on the Dashboard. That's what you will be using. It includes some very useful program's you can customise for your own use. Now that you are up and running start a new post if you have any specific questions you need answering. Bkenobi is very familiar with Homegenie too.

All we have to do now is get HA Dave sorted out now.i imagine he will be jealous looking at that screenshot of Homegenie. Not unlike the AHP screen. :)%

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2018, 03:45:05 PM »

Actually, I'm not so sure about this. As soon as I installed HG, CPU usage went up to 80% minimum. That's not good.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2018, 09:59:10 PM »

Actually, I'm not so sure about this. As soon as I installed HG, CPU usage went up to 80% minimum. That's not good.

Don't worry about that for the moment. It will settle. As long as it does not crash.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2018, 09:15:56 AM »

On my RPi1 the cpu usage is around 30% IIRC.  If it stays at 80%, I'd say that's a problem.  If the usage spiked when you started HG, you can try some things.

First, restart the service:
sudo service homegenie restart

Second, if that doesn't change anything, I'd probably try resetting the HG setup.  That can be done from the web interface under maintenance I believe.

Third, uninstall HG and check cpu usage.  If it's basically 0%, reinstall.  I forget the uninstall command at the moment so hopefully it won't come to that.

Finally, if nothing else works, you could try re-imaging.  I don't think that will be necessary, but if so I'd opt for starting with a new card rather than formatting.  That way, you can maybe do some sleuthing to determine the issue (if you care).

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2018, 09:21:26 AM »

Yeah... none of that means anything to me. I have a lot of learning to do. I think I need a class.

A basic Linux class might not hurt if you can find one.  But, I learned my basics of Linux by using it.  I'm not an expert, but after hacking around with TiVo's and other systems, I am now sufficiently secure with my skills that my job uses Linux all the time.  I'm still not an admin, but I get around just fine.

I'd recommend looking at each line and just googling the command that you want to understand.  "sudo" is a way to run a command that requires admin rights (runs as a super user).  "apt-get" is a utility that installs tools from Linux repositories.  "rpi-update" is a command that updates RPi specific applications similar to "update" which is for the generic Linux OS.  The commands were put together and ordered over time, so it's not expected that anyone would know what to run out of the blue...hence the installation instructions.   8)

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2018, 01:52:34 AM »

.i imagine he will be jealous looking at that screenshot of Homegenie. Not unlike the AHP screen.

I decided to not continue with Homegenie. It was visually enticing, but to me it was a significant learning curve that I didn't want to deal with just for the sake of using another piece of software. I already own Homeseer and haven't found a thing it can't handle.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2018, 02:45:27 AM »

........... I already own Homeseer and haven't found a thing it can't handle. 

Homeseer is a premium provider of HA hardware and software. The unit you gave to me works flawlessly.... month after month. Of course the old Win XP PC's I used before Homeseer were very dependable as well. I guess there really is a lot of ways to remove fur from a feline.

I don't know which software (or even OS) is the best for Home Automation. And I don't have the time or money to play Consumers Digest and test every product out there. But I do believe there are some really good, solid, simple, easy, and reliable ways out there to run a smart home.

But my own experience with DIY Linux software.... hasn't sold me. At least not yet. 
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2018, 06:12:59 PM »

I finally jumped on the Pi band wagon and my 3B+ arrived yesterday.
I had played with Linux in the past so this wasn't completely foreign to me.
Today I installed HA-bridge, mochad and HomeGenie. However I'm not set any up for X10 control (yet) so I'm not sure how well any of it will work.
I can remotely log into both HA-Bridge and HomeGenie so that part seems to be working :)%
My main reason for getting a PI setup for HA control was for my off grid place.
Power consumption in the spring,summer and early fall isn't a big deal there but winter months one has to watch it.
I started a section on my forum for Pi HA related things so I have a reference to fall back on.
http://forums.tuicemen.net/index.php?board=116.0
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2018, 10:20:31 PM »

I finally jumped on the Pi band wagon and my 3B+ arrived yesterday.
I had played with Linux in the past so this wasn't completely foreign to me.
Today I installed HA-bridge, mochad and HomeGenie. However I'm not set any up for X10 control (yet) so I'm not sure how well any of it will work.
I can remotely log into both HA-Bridge and HomeGenie so that part seems to be working :)%
My main reason for getting a PI setup for HA control was for my off grid place.
Power consumption in the spring,summer and early fall isn't a big deal there but winter months one has to watch it.
I started a section on my forum for Pi HA related things so I have a reference to fall back on.
http://forums.tuicemen.net/index.php?board=116.0

What version of Raspbian and HomeGenie did you load on your card. Be careful what version of Mono you are using. Mono 5.10 broke HomeGenie. You'll be pleasantly surprised how well X10 works on HomeGenie with the Raspberry and how easy it is to configure for someone with your experience. 

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2018, 10:49:26 PM »

I installed latest version of Rasbian older versions I read will not work with the 3B+
I believe I loaded the newest HomeGenie as well. However I never installed Mono (yet).
I setup a few 10 devices in HomeGenie but since the Cm15 isn't connected to my Pi I've yet to test them.
Just doing baby steps ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2018, 03:38:37 AM »

I installed latest version of Rasbian older versions I read will not work with the 3B+
I believe I loaded the newest HomeGenie as well. However I never installed Mono (yet).
I setup a few 10 devices in HomeGenie but since the Cm15 isn't connected to my Pi I've yet to test them.
Just doing baby steps ;)

Type mono --version at the command prompt and see what it returns. Homegenie is a Windows program that runs in Linux under Mono.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2018, 01:29:15 PM »

says:
Mono JIT compiler version 4.6.2 (Debian 4.6.2.7+dfsg-1).....
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2018, 04:11:17 PM »

I think Stretch (the current major version of Raspbian) includes a Mono release that somewhat works with HG.  I had a script that I was working on to get everything working in a simple one step copy/paste or maybe even something that could be obtained with curl or wget and then run.  It did work, but I didn't have any other testers.  The other issue is that the service was not working for me all that well.  I was using the new devs' (Bounce et.al.) version of HG (1.1.15) rather than the original author's (Gene) version (1.1.526).  I believe Gene's version would run fine and the reason the Bounce version was having problems for me was that it's a new framework/implementation.  It looks the same from the interface, but a lot of changes/improvements have been included behind the scenes.  As a result, it works well in Windows but may have problems on other systems due to the dev approach.

That said, if you have Gene's version up and running, you should find it works very nicely with the CM15 and all X10 modules!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2018, 04:21:30 PM »

I installed HomeGenie Version 1.1 beta r526
I can log in from another PC to it and add X10 devices however it doesn't send X10 commands so something isn't just right yet. B:(
Mochad also fails to work. B:( If I manually load it, it fails displaying it can't find a cm15/cm19
I noticed Demoticz has a PI SD image so I'll give that a test run but I suspect it will not work with the 3B+ ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2018, 05:38:39 PM »

Where did you find the Domoticz image?  I used one a couple years ago and it worked out of the box.  It wasn't what I was looking for at the time.  I'd like to try it again on the RPi3, though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.